Sponsored

Rubi is GREAT in the snow

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Grew up driving 60's and 70's cars with 4speed manual,and wide tires and rear wheel drive. I think the Rubi will take me anywhere I really need to go without too much drama. (and yes, I probably had some drama in the day, but I never stayed home because of rwd and snow)
Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m hoping for a lot more of these posts. I really wish you could get Selec-Trac on the Rubi for peace of mind, but it’s good to know it handles the snow well regardless.

Forward momentum is obviously easier with 4wd, but without ABS and TCS I usually elect to drive my FWD daily drivers with all-seasons over my LJ and previous TJ in moderate snow. Oh, and I hate subjecting them to salt. I’m hoping all that will change if I order a JLUR.

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
Read many, many threads about how SelecTrac is a “must have” for snowy climates.... <clipped>

Carry on, and enjoy the rig you bought - every flavor is more capable than 99% of what you’ll pass on the road!

:beer:
Agreed! Rock-Trac with open diffs does very well on and in the snow. I am impressed thus far.

Cheers!

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I know a LITTLE about driving in snow !

scan0001.jpg

scan0003b.jpg

Feb%202016%20023_zpsf0djuidr.jpg

BEEN THERE DONE THAT

W.E.

JIMBO
Great pictures. Those broncos and one TOYOTA FJ 40. Nice. That TOYOTA would have been straight 6 with a 3 speed manual. A true classic for me.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Thanks guys--

That was my tire shop in PARADISE-CA--CIRCA 1973 THRU 1978-

Of course it's all real history now--

JIMBO

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Thanks guys--

That was my tire shop in PARADISE-CA--CIRCA 1973 THRU 1978-

Of course it's all real history now--

JIMBO
Unreal what is happening in Paradise now….

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
79 dead and over 1000 unaccounted for, over 10,000 homes/building destroyed--

Recovery threatened by oncoming rain/snow--DISASTER !

No outlook--all the way up to MAGALIA !

JIMBO
Unreal what is happening in Paradise now….

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
I was worried about this, I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk that's amazing in the snow and have the 2019 Rubicon on order. It's soo easy to just set it to "Snow" and drive like I'm on pavement. This will be my first Wrangler and my first kick at "real" 4x4, feel like it'll be a bit of a learning curve.
I'm coming from a Subaru w/ Blizzaks and it's become obvious that I took the AWD for granted.

The Rubicon is not only a "real" 4x4 but it's heavier and also has a higher center of gravity. I find myself slipping off the line or during a turn in 2WD only to experience binding during a tighter maneuver in 4WD.

Most of it is definitely my inexperience with 4WD and while I'm sure I'll learn to adjust, I have to say that I miss the confidence I had with an AWD vehicle with dedicated snow tires.

Of course there's no question the Rubicon in 4WD is the vehicle of choice in deeper fresh snow, but the AWD is great when you're driving on a highway with variable conditions.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
I agree with your AWD ASSESSMENT--I was really surprised by my high horsepower RAM operating in the snow where i usually take my jeeps, very encouraging in "4 auto"--

JIMBO
Sponsored