Rubi is GREAT in the snow

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Read many, many threads about how SelecTrac is a “must have” for snowy climates. Having survived most of my life in crappy sedans, minivans, etc. I knew the case being made against the Rubi with its BSD and open diffs was overstated... well, I just got back from my first snowy drive in my 2dr 6sp Rubi. (8” unplowed). Pffft. Handles like a dream! Getting in and out of 4H is effortless.

Is automatic 4 wheel drive neat? Sure. (My wife has it in her Yukon.) Is it useful on roads that change from ice to pavement and back? Maybe, but I usually stick to 2H and drive for conditions rather than go into and out of 4H willy-nilly. Am I upset I stuck to my guns and got a Rubi? Helllll no!

Carry on, and enjoy the rig you bought - every flavor is more capable than 99% of what you’ll pass on the road!

:beer:
Sponsored

Titan2727

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
Read many, many threads about how SelecTrac is a “must have” for snowy climates. Having survived most of my life in crappy sedans, minivans, etc. I knew the case being made against the Rubi with its BSD and open diffs was overstated... well, I just got back from my first snowy drive in my 2dr 6sp Rubi. (8” unplowed). Pffft. Handles like a dream! Getting in and out of 4H is effortless.

Is automatic 4 wheel drive neat? Sure. (My wife has it in her Yukon.) Is it useful on roads that change from ice to pavement and back? Maybe, but I usually stick to 2H and drive for conditions rather than go into and out of 4H willy-nilly. Am I upset I stuck to my guns and got a Rubi? Helllll no!

Carry on, and enjoy the rig you bought - every flavor is more capable than 99% of what you’ll pass on the road!

Did you drive it at night or during day?

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you drive it at night or during day?
At night. Saw your post about the LEDs collecting snow. Mine did not do that, but it wasn’t all that cold outside and the snow was mixing with sleet by the time I was done playing.

WreakingHavoc

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Psychiatric Nurse

I was worried about this, I have a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk that's amazing in the snow and have the 2019 Rubicon on order. It's soo easy to just set it to "Snow" and drive like I'm on pavement. This will be my first Wrangler and my first kick at "real" 4x4, feel like it'll be a bit of a learning curve.

Sponsored

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
I never read anything so I had no preconceived ideas.

We have a Durango with the AWD. Works good.

Took the rubi out and played on unplowed roads tonight. Felt great to me but I also have a lot of experience in the snow.

4WH felt perfect when I needed it. Easy to get in and out of, no big deal.

It was certainly fun and that's a big reason I bought it.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hell I have commuted with a KIA Optima for about 100 miles a day through Michigan winters for the last 10 years with no problem. Rubicon what??? We have snow covered roads today. The wife left the Avalanche in the driveway and drove the KIA. lol.

Traction control is amazing on most cars now a days.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Hell I have commuted with a KIA Optima for about 100 miles a day through Michigan winters for the last 10 years with no problem. Rubicon what??? We have snow covered roads today. The wife left the Avalanche in the driveway and drove the KIA. lol.

Traction control is amazing on most cars now a days.
Interesting. What type of tires did you have on that Optima? My wife and I each took 4.5 hrs to get home for a 6 and 8 mile commute (respectively). Problem wasn't our vehicles. Problem was chumps with worn out all-seasons physically blocking the roads.

I reminded my wife that, when the Jeep finally comes, we won't need to worry about jerks who block roads... :like:

roads bttf.jpg

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
At night. Saw your post about the LEDs collecting snow. Mine did not do that, but it wasn’t all that cold outside and the snow was mixing with sleet by the time I was done playing.
Are we at a point where we'll be seeing Mercedes like headlight wiper blades again soon?.....

heating elements in our headlights? ;)

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Interesting. What type of tires did you have on that Optima? My wife and I each took 4.5 hrs to get home for a 6 and 8 mile commute (respectively). Problem wasn't our vehicles. Problem was chumps with worn out all-seasons physically blocking the roads.

I reminded my wife that, when the Jeep finally comes, we won't need to worry about jerks who block roads... :like:

roads bttf.jpg
Just Goodyear all season radials. Mind you we don't have Jersey traffic. We see a traffic jams about three times a year. Then those are like a twenty minute slow down. It can get congested during the U of M vs MSU football game, but that is about it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

roads bttf.jpg
I can’t believe how badly backed up the highways were, yesterday. I read that in NJ some schools kept kids overnight! I guess it was just timing of the storm, but holy cow. I mean, here in the northeast, we’re supposed to be prepared for a little snow.

I left the office at 3:00 when I saw the first flake. Got home (25 miles) in about an hour, which is my normal commuting time (Merritt Parkway sucks). Coworker left at 4:30 and it took him 3+ hours. Yikes!

Edorand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have a 6mt JLUR on 37s and it handled the snow perfectly fine in 2hi
Didn't even have the issue of snow buildup on my headlights

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
I can’t believe how badly backed up the highways were, yesterday. I read that in NJ some schools kept kids overnight! I guess it was just timing of the storm, but holy cow. I mean, here in the northeast, we’re supposed to be prepared for a little snow.

I left the office at 3:00 when I saw the first flake. Got home (25 miles) in about an hour, which is my normal commuting time (Merritt Parkway sucks). Coworker left at 4:30 and it took him 3+ hours. Yikes!
Yeah... Quite a few folks just turned around and slept in the office last night.

Reality is that the problem isn't the volume of traffic (though compacting the snow doesn't help). Problem is folks who don't know how to drive in the snow (i.e. slow and steady, not fast then jabbing the brakes to see if they still work) combined with poorly maintained roads. I drove a FWD Nissan on all-seasons for years without a problem. But I made sure I had a relevant amount of tread left...
Sponsored