Sponsored

Rubi fenders on a sport?

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Has anybody put Rubi halogen fenders on their sport? I get that the led lights wont work, but how tough is it to install the fenders and inner fender liners? I'm running 35's on takeoff jlur d44 axles and want a little more clearance on uptravel when disconnected. Does it require a special rivet gun or anything else technical? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
ChattVol

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Bueller Bueller anyone? I've got someone offering to sale me their rubi fenders for a fair price and greatly appreciate any feedback.

Kbach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I put Rubicon fenders on my Sport so will try to answer your questions. I changed both the fender and liner to Rubicons since the liners are different.

For the rivets, yes you do need to replace some. I bought these off McMaster Carr - Part no 90219A340 (I believe they were Marson part no 48151). The head is slightly bigger diameter than stock but they are also $5-6 for 20 instead of a few bucks each from the dealer! I bought a rivet gun kit from Harbor freight for about $15 that came with a selection of rivets but I didn't use any of them as they seemed poorly made.

You'll also tear up a bunch of the "push pin" fasteners. I bought these from amazon - Rexka YT0338 (pack of 100 for $13).

It was a very easy process. Hardest part is pulling off the fenders without doing any damage. Yes, I've seen the Youtube videos of people just yanking them off in one pull...I didn't want to do that so I pulled the inner fenders out of the way then reached in behind the fender and squeezed the clips by hand to release them and on some I was able to get a pick tool from the outside and push in on the edge of the fastener to help release it. I just worked from one end to the other and it came off easy.

Hope this helps.

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I put Rubicon fenders on my Sport so will try to answer your questions. I changed both the fender and liner to Rubicons since the liners are different.

For the rivets, yes you do need to replace some. I bought these off McMaster Carr - Part no 90219A340 (I believe they were Marson part no 48151). The head is slightly bigger diameter than stock but they are also $5-6 for 20 instead of a few bucks each from the dealer! I bought a rivet gun kit from Harbor freight for about $15 that came with a selection of rivets but I didn't use any of them as they seemed poorly made.

You'll also tear up a bunch of the "push pin" fasteners. I bought these from amazon - Rexka YT0338 (pack of 100 for $13).

It was a very easy process. Hardest part is pulling off the fenders without doing any damage. Yes, I've seen the Youtube videos of people just yanking them off in one pull...I didn't want to do that so I pulled the inner fenders out of the way then reached in behind the fender and squeezed the clips by hand to release them and on some I was able to get a pick tool from the outside and push in on the edge of the fastener to help release it. I just worked from one end to the other and it came off easy.

Hope this helps.
Pictures? Would love to see the end result. Doing this myself soon.
Sponsored