First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
I know this has been beat to death, but I need specific advice.

I put the 315/70/17 ko2s on already, I looking to do a small 2 inch/leveling lift. I don't do serious off-road. Just trails,sand dunes a few times a year, and ride over every curb I can find .

I have the 1.5 level kit on my 17 sahara and was very happy.

So for my jlur I narrowed down to 3 options.

1. Wait for teraflex to make a level/2 inch kit.

2. Wait for mopar to correct the 2 inch lift.

3. Rubicon express with shock ext.

4. Rubicon express and buy longer shocks.

The spacers lifts I assume would be in the $400-$500 range.

I don't do heavy off road am I wasting $1000 on the mopar 2 inch?

Any advice? Pracical advice
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

I put the 315/70/17 ko2s on already, I looking to do a small 2 inch/leveling lift. I don't do serious off-road. Just trails,sand dunes a few times a year, and ride over every curb I can find .

After seeing the benefits of the cheaper budget boost type lift that @Kevin8086 installed I am really leaning towards something like that, but instead of shock extensions I will try to find some longer shocks.

My second choice will be a Teraflex Alpine system when it’s oit with a god set of piggyback shocks. I will be moving to AZ, so will do so,e higher speed desert running as well as Moab etc.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
The 2.5 RC kit is 170 bucks. I used it. It’s everything you need. It’s a basic lift but for what you describe it’s all you need. No way I would spend big money on those other lifts for what your doing with it. I ran a Synergy lift on my JK which is big cash. Only thing I’m going to do is add some long Fox shocks when they come out. Everything is staying the same. The JLs don’t need the kind of lifts the JKs did. They flex right out of the box.

Sorry, I just saw that RC wasn’t in your list. That’s annoying when people do that. Apologies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sschmittou

Sschmittou

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jku 75th anniversary, 2018 JlU rubicon
Occupation
Homeland security
It' not problem, I apprecite the advice. Rc wasn' on the list because I've ( maybe unfairly ) heard bad opinions. The budget boost and longer shocks is what I'm leaning towards.

The teraflex level kit I put on my 2017 had been perfect. The rubi express uses shock extensions he teraflex jku kit didn't need.

I' thinking spacers and longer shocks is all I'll need. But not sure if I need other parts lije sway bar links.

Instead of the extensions I'd just use the spacers and buy shocks, I'm wondering at that point am I close enough cost wise to just get the mopar and sell the rubi take offs.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
ive had RE lifts and after a year youll be replacing them

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
ive had RE lifts and after a year youll be replacing them
Yes RE has definitely gone downhill where they were once good years ago but with just a spacer, they are no better or worse than the rest of the spacers. Nothing to them but steel.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
If you itching to put something on, I would go with the inexpensive RC 2.5" kit and wait(Exactly what I'm doing.) You keep the decent factory springs/shocks and don't lose any travel. Going with longer than factory shocks really doesn't help you much with a spacer lift as the bump stops are what is currently limiting your uptravel, and you don't want so much down travel that you unseat the factory springs from the spacers. I'd venture to say the factory Rubicon shocks are better than most of the other "budget" shocks that are available.
I'm also hesitant with any kit that includes springs until we know the rates of the factory vs the aftermarket springs(Or at least some reviews or side by side comparisons.) I've installed a lot of lift kits on JK's, and some manufacturers gain lift with linear short stiff springs, others from linear long springs(my preference), and others from multi rate or progressive springs.

The JL Mopar 2" lift springs are actually on the softer side when comparing them side by side with the factory springs, but the short travel of the shocks and spring bow issue turn me off. It also ends up higher than the 2.5" spacer lift...

If time/urge is not an issue I would just wait until all the major suspension manufacturers have released their kits.
I'm sure in the near future there will be a ton of options to choose from. I'm waiting for a nice long travel "true" 3.5" kit to become available, but can say that I am pleased with the RC 2.5" kit for daily driving.

TroyG2015

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
If you itching to put something on, I would go with the inexpensive RC 2.5" kit and wait(Exactly what I'm doing.) You keep the decent factory springs/shocks and don't lose any travel. Going with longer than factory shocks really doesn't help you much with a spacer lift as the bump stops are what is currently limiting your uptravel, and you don't want so much down travel that you unseat the factory springs from the spacers. I'd venture to say the factory Rubicon shocks are better than most of the other "budget" shocks that are available.
I'm also hesitant with any kit that includes springs until we know the rates of the factory vs the aftermarket springs(Or at least some reviews or side by side comparisons.) I've installed a lot of lift kits on JK's, and some manufacturers gain lift with linear short stiff springs, others from linear long springs(my preference), and others from multi rate or progressive springs.

The JL Mopar 2" lift springs are actually on the softer side when comparing them side by side with the factory springs, but the short travel of the shocks and spring bow issue turn me off. It also ends up higher than the 2.5" spacer lift...

If time/urge is not an issue I would just wait until all the major suspension manufacturers have released their kits.
I'm sure in the near future there will be a ton of options to choose from. I'm waiting for a nice long travel "true" 3.5" kit to become available, but can say that I am pleased with the RC 2.5" kit for daily driving.

TTeChris

I really like the hight of the mopar 2” lift. Do you think if I install the RC 2.5” on my JL it would be equal or less than the Mopar? I an in the same boat as Scott and maybe even do less off roading than him.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
TTeChris

I really like the hight of the mopar 2” lift. Do you think if I install the RC 2.5” on my JL it would be equal or less than the Mopar? I an in the same boat as Scott and maybe even do less off roading than him.
When measured at the same point from the axle to the upper spring mount the Mopar was 1/8" higher in the front. I didn't get a chance to measure the rear for comparison.
Here is a picture of my White JL with RC 2.5 & 37s next to a customer's Billet Silver with Mopar 2" and 35s.
DSC_0867.JPG

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon

i was thinking the same thing. i going with the Mopar because it is lifting the jeeps 3 inches. i know its a 2 inch lift but several friends of mine measured before and after and all of them got 3 inches out of the Mopar lift

JJW_ND

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK
If one who was looking for a nice overland travel suspension....would the Mopar be good or is the softness make it flail around at speed. I make lots of trips from ND to the Rockies in the fall to hunt.

I really like the AEV dualsport I have on my JK.

jjw
ND

Last edited:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't recommend Teraflex.

I like their stuff, but their bushings are questionable. After ONE wheeling trip with their 2.5" lift installed on my JK, the bushings on the two front control arms and one of the rear swaybar links were toast. One trip and it wasn't even a hard trail. They were cool enough to replace the swaybar link, but not the control arms, and after looking around online, this isn't an isolated or rare issue. This is also where I discovered that, while they assemble a lot of their stuff in the US, most of their parts are made in China.

That being said, I'm running the Mopar lift on my JL and despite the spring bow, it drives and wheels flawlessly. The kit could use adjustable control arms to center the axles, but they're just barely off. The shocks are fantastic, the steering is hardly affected, the power loss is almost negligible, and paired with some good tires, it drives just as smooth as it did stock.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
So did you say you're Springs did bow ? I know by the end of April they're supposed to have new kits out and change them out. I know some aftermarket shops that sell them sent all thier kits back and they're getting replaced with new ones first of May. So how bad is it bowed on yours? Did you get the 3 inchs like most people are getting out of the Mopar lift ? Everyone I know that has put it on measured before and after and even on here someone posted they got three and that's what I like about it? Even Skyjacker has one out now. You can say what you want about Skyjacker but they've been around a long long time and they must be doing something right but it's only a 2.5 and when I've seen they're only getting two and a half. I've seen the Mopar lift and a Skyjacker Lift side by side on a JL and the Mopar lift does look about half an inch taller so they are getting about 3 out of it and you can't be Fox shocks unless you go buy a real expensive shock somewhere

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wouldn't recommend Teraflex.

I like their stuff, but their bushings are questionable. After ONE wheeling trip with their 2.5" lift installed on my JK, the bushings on the two front control arms and one of the rear swaybar links were toast. One trip and it wasn't even a hard trail. They were cool enough to replace the swaybar link, but not the control arms, and after looking around online, this isn't an isolated or rare issue. This is also where I discovered that, while they assemble a lot of their stuff in the US, most of their parts are made in China.

That being said, I'm running the Mopar lift on my JL and despite the spring bow, it drives and wheels flawlessly. The kit could use adjustable control arms to center the axles, but they're just barely off. The shocks are fantastic, the steering is hardly affected, the power loss is almost negligible, and paired with some good tires, it drives just as smooth as it did stock.
Post of photo of your mopar lift if you dont mind thanks
Sponsored