RTT with Rhino Rack Backbone Vortex bars

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
I know a RTT will work on the Backbone Pioneer platform system, but I can’t see the reason behind spending the extra money. Is there a reason you guys are going with the Pioneer over just the two bars? In my mind by the time you mount your RTT up there you have almost completely cover the Pioneer.
Why not just use this the
Vortex RCL Black 2 Bar Rhino-Rack Backbone Roof Rack
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...ck-2-bar-rhino-rack-backbone-roof-rack_jb0898

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Illegalslam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jlur
I know a RTT will work on the Backbone Pioneer platform system, but I can’t see the reason behind spending the extra money. Is there a reason you guys are going with the Pioneer over just the two bars? In my mind by the time you mount your RTT up there you have almost completely cover the Pioneer.
Why not just use this the
Vortex RCL Black 2 Bar Rhino-Rack Backbone Roof Rack
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...ck-2-bar-rhino-rack-backbone-roof-rack_jb0898

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
I was wondering the same thing.

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone try this out?

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have no experience with RTT or rhino rack cross bars, that being said, I think it makes more sense to use pioneer platform over cross bars considering it has 6 mounting points. That means, weight will be divided to 6 points instead of 4, also with the backbone, i think it will be less damaging (potentially) for the hard top.

This is just an opinion though

jeepfreak

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have no experience with RTT or rhino rack cross bars, that being said, I think it makes more sense to use pioneer platform over cross bars considering it has 6 mounting points. That means, weight will be divided to 6 points instead of 4, also with the backbone, i think it will be less damaging (potentially) for the hard top.

The Pioneer Platform is a terrible option for most RTTs. There isn't a good way to mount the RTT to the platform.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Anyone try this out?
When we talked to Rhino, they wouldn't even give us a weight rating they would stand by on the 2 bar system. Mounting an RTT works fine with the 3 bar system (although I had to buy a shorter middle bar for the ladder).

You are already going to have mounting points for 3 bars anyway from the backbone system, may as well use them.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

The two issues I see with using a platform are the weight cutting into your cargo limit and drilling to mount the tent. If your tent takes up the entire platform, I don't see the point. Mount it to one of their bar systems and call it a day.

If you have a shorter RTT and want to use the remaining space to mount platformy things, go for it. Most people do seem to have to drill to get their tent mounted, but that isn't a huge issue. You just have weird holes when the tent is off.
Sponsored