RTT with a Rhino Rack Backbone

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 73 CJ5, 07 Electra Glide
I know a RTT will work on the Backbone Pioneer platform system, but I can’t see the reason behind spending the extra money. Is there a reason you guys are going with the Pioneer over just the two bars? In my mind by the time you mount your RTT up there you have almost completely cover the Pioneer.
Why not just use this the
Vortex RCL Black 2 Bar Rhino-Rack Backbone Roof Rack
http://www.rhinorack.com/en-us/prod...ck-2-bar-rhino-rack-backbone-roof-rack_jb0898

Just looking for some opinions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

benb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport-S-KIA; 2020 JLU Rubicon
Good question. I bet that is a lot lighter as well!

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Funny you should ask this because I was struggling with this very question recently. I went with the Rhino Rack backbone system without the pioneer platform. Before I bought it, I contacted Quadratec and they said the platform will make the tent more stable. I watched some videos on youtube where a couple of people struggled to mount it with the pioneer platform...one being Brad from TrailRecon who said it probably would work better with just crossbars. The Pioneer Rack looks cool but for what I need, a rtt, and hauling surfboards/snowboards, the rails are better, and cost a lot less. I just installed the Rhino Rack with the three crossbars and the Rtt is on the way. Once I get it and mount it, I will let you know how it does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Funny you should ask this because I was struggling with this very question recently. I went with the Rhino Rack backbone system without the pioneer platform. Before I bought it, I contacted Quadratec and they said the platform will make the tent more stable. I watched some videos on youtube where a couple of people struggled to mount it with the pioneer platform...one being Brad from TrailRecon who said it probably would work better with just crossbars. The Pioneer Rack looks cool but for what I need, a rtt, and hauling surfboards/snowboards, the rails are better, and cost a lot less. I just installed the Rhino Rack with the three crossbars and the Rtt is on the way. Once I get it and mount it, I will let you know how it does.
I've been call Rhino-rack for the last few days to get a bit more detail. Unfortunately they've been closed.
Anyway, I've had my Tepui RTT for about three years now. It started off on the back of my truck then got moved to a trailer I built and now I'm looking to put it on the Rubi. Every time it has been on crossbars with no problems so I know it works. I've even thought about getting a extra set of crossbars so when the RTT isn't up there I could haul other stuff. I found out the hard way taking the tent on and off with factory hardware will destroy stuff. Hopefully much easier just to remove the bar from the Jeep.
Out of curiosity what system did you go with and how high off the roof are the crossbars?

Sponsored

GuapoJeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've been call Rhino-rack for the last few days to get a bit more detail. Unfortunately they've been closed.
Anyway, I've had my Tepui RTT for about three years now. It started off on the back of my truck then got moved to a trailer I built and now I'm looking to put it on the Rubi. Every time it has been on crossbars with no problems so I know it works. I've even thought about getting a extra set of crossbars so when the RTT isn't up there I could haul other stuff. I found out the hard way taking the tent on and off with factory hardware will destroy stuff. Hopefully much easier just to remove the bar from the Jeep.
Out of curiosity what system did you go with and how high off the roof are the crossbars?

I went with this one that I bought from Quadratec: https://www.quadratec.com/p/rhino-r...backbone-roof-rack-jeep-wrangler-jl-unlimited I will measure it when I get home for you. I just measured it and the legs and crossbars add 4" above the roof.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJ-ING-RJ

CJ-ING-RJ

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)