Sponsored

RPM based rattle/knock above 2.5k RPM

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
I have 40k miles on my 3.6L with a 6spd. When I rev between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm I get a loud knock noise and it's not from the drivetrain. Happens in neutral, clutch engagement, and disengaged. Just started recently not sure what to think of it or where to look. Dead silent below 2.5k rmp.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Does it do the noise under a load?

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
That's what I'm hoping we will have to see once this tank gets flushed through
I hope others are right and it is injection related. Take it while you have warranty.
Mine has 54,000 miles. Just a week ago, started the car and as I accelerated heard a ticking sound above 2,500 RPM. I think it is there at highway speed but cannot hear it, but for sure when pulling from a stop. After 40 miles ( a couple of days) , took it to the dealer. I just got the call that it needs valve lifters and rocker arms at least on the left bank, $2,500 to $4,000 if it needs rocker arm.
Not a happy customer right now.
I am not a dealer customer, but decided to take it there to get the recall Y07 done and asked them to check the ticking while there.
Never missed an oil change. I've done them all myself with Mobil 1 and mopar filter.
NO warranty for me, even though nothing I've done would cause the failure.
And to add to the pain, the rear engine seal is leaking as well. That's a $750 repair, but told them to hold on that one since it wouldn't make sense to drop the transmission and put back the same problematic clutch back in. Centerforce is on back order.
Even if it just the top engine issue to be fixed, I will be without the Jeep for three to four weeks waiting on parts.
Yeah, I know the story, all brands, all car have issues, bla bla, I just have been lucky with Toyota. The FJ will be back on the road, 210,000 miles, with regular maintenance.

OP
OP
ImAJeepskate

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope others are right and it is injection related. Take it while you have warranty.
Mine has 54,000 miles. Just a week ago, started the car and as I accelerated heard a ticking sound above 2,500 RPM. I think it is there at highway speed but cannot hear it, but for sure when pulling from a stop. After 40 miles ( a couple of days) , took it to the dealer. I just got the call that it needs valve lifters and rocker arms at least on the left bank, $2,500 to $4,000 if it needs rocker arm.
Not a happy customer right now.
I am not a dealer customer, but decided to take it there to get the recall Y07 done and asked them to check the ticking while there.
Never missed an oil change. I've done them all myself with Mobil 1 and mopar filter.
NO warranty for me, even though nothing I've done would cause the failure.
And to add to the pain, the rear engine seal is leaking as well. That's a $750 repair, but told them to hold on that one since it wouldn't make sense to drop the transmission and put back the same problematic clutch back in. Centerforce is on back order.
Even if it just the top engine issue to be fixed, I will be without the Jeep for three to four weeks waiting on parts.
Yeah, I know the story, all brands, all car have issues, bla bla, I just have been lucky with Toyota. The FJ will be back on the road, 210,000 miles, with regular maintenance.
Definitely calling the dealer to make an appointment now!

Jay Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
Mine has 54,000 miles. Just a week ago, started the car and as I accelerated heard a ticking sound above 2,500 RPM. I just got the call that it needs valve lifters and rocker arms at least on the left bank, $2,500 to $4,000 if it needs rocker arm. No warranty for me...
You don't have the 3yr 36k/5yr 60k?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't have the 3yr 36k/5yr 60k?
That's another story. I voided the warranty long ago when I attempted to fit a supercharger. The software was modified and then reverted back to the original. I know that had nothing to do with current issue because the supercharger was quickly removed. Back then the Jeep had less than 10,000 miles. It has run trouble free for 40,000 miles. But I know I consciously waived the warranty and I live with the consequences.
Another data point is that the Service manager said mine was the first JL he sees with the problem, but it's been a big issue with minivans with the same engine. Simply there are more minivans than Jeeps in this area.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update. I gave them the go ahead and fix the engine ticking. They just call and said that it is "only" a rocker arm $55 plus $1,500 labor. ouch, but less than originally quoted.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ImAJeepskate

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update. I gave them the go ahead and fix the engine ticking. They just call and said that it is "only" a rocker arm $55 plus $1,500 labor. ouch, but less than originally quoted.
I have an appointment on Monday for the dealership and we will see what the diagnosis is. Get a free rental for the day because of recall work for the clutch at least.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Thatā€™s a bit overpriced, but a very common issue on the 3.6. If you donā€™t mind me asking, why did you remove the supercharger?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have an appointment on Monday for the dealership and we will see what the diagnosis is. Get a free rental for the day because of recall work for the clutch at least.
Hi ImAJeepskate,
Please feel free to contact us via private message if you need any assistance regarding your recall.

Rob
Jeep Cares

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thatā€™s a bit overpriced, but a very common issue on the 3.6. If you donā€™t mind me asking, why did you remove the supercharger?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ion-experience-procharger-supercharger.17458/

The short of it is, that with the manual transmission the belt kept coming off under heavy acceleration. If I stepped on the gas to high RMP when I pressed the clutch to shift the belt tensioner couldn't handle the drop in RPM and the belt would come off.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ion-experience-procharger-supercharger.17458/

The short of it is, that with the manual transmission the belt kept coming off under heavy acceleration. If I stepped on the gas to high RMP when I pressed the clutch to shift the belt tensioner couldn't handle the drop in RPM and the belt would come off.
Well that's not a very well thought out product...

Somewhat related:
I added a high amp alternator (which has heavier internals) to another vehicle once, along with an underdrive pully set that made the alternator pully smaller. When the automatic transmission would upshift the belt would chirp pretty loud. I was able to solve it by relocating an idler pully to get more than 180 degrees of wrap on the alternator pully.
Sponsored