Rowher Flat Trail - First Time

ck0428

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Need some folks advices who has experience of Rowher Flat Trail.
I have stock JLUR only been to Cleghorn trail 4 to 5 times (some reason..hard for me to find a group) by myself.
I want to try new trails and found Rowher Flat Trail. Trying to go on this weekend...again by myself.
Can someone tell me which route I should take to? Leaving from San Gabriel area.
Sponsored

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Need some folks advices who has experience of Rowher Flat Trail.
I have stock JLUR only been to Cleghorn trail 4 to 5 times (some reason..hard for me to find a group) by myself.
I want to try new trails and found Rowher Flat Trail. Trying to go on this weekend...again by myself.
Can someone tell me which route I should take to? Leaving from San Gabriel area.
Rowher is much easier than Cleghorn. hard to explain which way to go. if you go on the backside, off Bouquet Canyon, across from the reservoir, than its pretty straight forward. it looks like a ridiculous angle but its nowhere near as difficult as it looks. then just go straight to the top and you can go to the left and work your way to the front.

sorry, i dont have a better way to explain it. hth

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Would a stock Range Rover Sport be able to make it through here if sticking to the bypasses? I have a buddy that's dying to come out on a wheeling trip, but I don't want to be an accessory to his insurance claim report :giggle:

I have Burns Canyon & Cleghorn fire road as back up options too

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

Rowher doesnt have a lot of bypasses but you often have a choice of an easier path, especially at the more “difficult” parts, which arent many.

if you start on the back entrance, at the reservoir, where the crazy looking steep hill is, there is an easy bylass to take to get to the very top of the hill. When you get to the entrance at the bottom of the steep hill, if you keep driving up Bouquet, the next entrance (a few hundred feet up) is pretty much long, winding flat road to the top of the steep climb. From there its very easy to get to the top.

just make sure he airs down and try to keep the vehicle level. We encountered a subaru wagon at the top. If he can do it an RR can lol.

Sponsored

BMorgan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Rowher is well within what a Range Rover can do. You can start from the main entrance off Sierra Hwy. There is a practice area near staging area 1 to get familiar with things. Then there are all sorts of different levels within 10 minutes of that.

Some of those routes on the map are pretty much “you start it you have to finish it” drives. There is a “start here” on that map above. If you want to try out different types of “off-roading” I suggest you don’t start there but instead just go in the main entrance and start at the start. Lots of variety there.

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
There is nothing very difficult in Rowher. It is a small area and every trail is super easy up or down. You can ride every trail in the park in about a half day. Here is an easy black diamond 2 track. Just don't let the rangers catch you on a trail like this because it is only quad rated.

The trail rating system there is a joke. Black diamond is equivalent to easy rating.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rowher Flat Trail - First Time 531E6BE6-A27A-4DFE-88D2-ADC5395F777D

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chris, Seeing you live here in SoCal I recommend Gorman and Alamo mountain. As soon as you get to the top of Alamo you can drop down Millers Jeep Trail and pop out near Frazier Park.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Thanks for the input everyone. Went out yesterday and had a blast. Challenging climbs in a few spots but nothing too difficult in my rubi. Made it up the fire break from staging area 3 up to the summit. My friends Range Rover managed with some good spotting, though his transmission did overheat twice. From the summit we called it and took the main fire road back and out through Texas canyon. Nothing like taking someone out wheeling for the first time and watching them shit their pants :beer:

4E03175B-676D-460D-8233-564FB58D643C.jpeg

D1456462-9E61-438E-A05B-4181555EF766.jpeg

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
The trail rating system there is a joke. Black diamond is equivalent to easy rating.
I was wondering about that. I am a rank beginner and most of what was shown as black diamond looked mostly like slightly challenging gravel roads. But that's perfect for me!

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering about that. I am a rank beginner and most of what was shown as black diamond looked mostly like slightly challenging gravel roads. But that's perfect for me!
Just be careful on the trails that are going uphill and the shelf roads after a storm.
Sponsored