Sponsored

Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly. I’m still wondering about the routing. The big question is where/how I create a quick disconnect for times when I want to remove the hardtop. Has anyone addressed this issue???
If you have the BlackVue rear camera mounted on the rear hard top glass, the only option might be to disconnect the rear BlackVue camera cable and head out only with the font camera.

Too bad BlackVue doesn't offer mounts that let you relocate the rear view camera, then I would have an extra mount on the rear of the roll cage.
Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions? AF5F0BBC-361C-471F-9FA3-DF149F66394F

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions? 2C4D7EDB-2EB4-457C-914A-ADBD0AB0F3A2

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions? 1675541297975
Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Don, thanks for posting but I am still scratching my head on the disconnect. It seems I need to cut the cable inline maybe somewhere around the top of the B pillar and install a plug/receptacle. Then I can routed the wiring go aft on the hardtop.

I am hoping someone here will respond on how they dealt with a rear cam wiring when they remove their hardtop?

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ah I think we are talking about different things. Jeep’s optional front and standard rear cameras don't record. We are wiring BlackVie DR900X-2CH dash cams.
We're talking about dash cams / rearview mirror cams, not the UConnect stuff. Wiring of dash cams and rearview mirror cams along with the associated rear-mounted camera should be nearly identical.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Exactly. I’m still wondering about the routing. The big question is where/how I create a quick disconnect for times when I want to remove the hardtop. Has anyone addressed this issue???
Ahhh, yours is BlackVue and not BrandMotion. I was wondering why the hardtop was involved. My rear camera is tucked into the spare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions? PXL_20230205_004321962

Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Yes, I want to mount high center on the rear glass on the inside. I don’t believe it is designed for the elements.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I want to mount high center on the rear glass on the inside. I don’t believe it is designed for the elements.
Like the pic I posted?

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I literally finished my install about 2 hours ago. My rear camera just connects with a really long USB C cable. I routed it from the dash to the rear hard top connector. Then I ran a USB C extension cable from there, inside the hardtop, to the camera.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I literally finished my install about 2 hours ago. My rear camera just connects with a really long USB C cable. I routed it from the dash to the rear hard top connector. Then I ran a USB C extension cable from there, inside the hardtop, to the camera.
dragoneggs I dug a bit and found the front camera to rear camera uses an MCX cable.

I'm not an expert at this stuff, but I wonder if using two MCX Plug to MCX Plug cables with an MCX Jack to MCX Jack adapter would work? That seems a little fragile/convoluted to me.

MCX Jack to MCX Jack adapters:
https://www.pasternack.com/mcx-jack-mcx-jack-straight-adapter-pe9524-p.aspx

Would it make sense instead to use one MCX Plug to MCX Plug cable and one MCX Jack to MCX Plug cable? Lengths would depend on how you lay things out.

MCX Jack to MCX Plug cables:
https://www.pasternack.com/nsearch.aspx?keywords=mcx plug mcx jack cable&view_type=grid
MCX Plug to MCX Plug cables:
https://www.pasternack.com/nsearch.aspx?keywords=mcx cable&view_type=grid

FWIW, I'd look into getting some rubber caps to cover the ends when you take the roof off, to keep water out of the opening. With that said, not sure I'd use my BlackVue if I didn't have a cover, since they're not weather protected, might be moot if the intent is to avoid having to unmount the rear BlackVue camera when taking the hard top off.

https://www.autozone.com/ignition-t...man-autograde-assorted-vacuum-caps/365550_0_0

PS, lots of companies make this stuff, but I found Pasternack has the best (smartest and nicest) customer service people. :)

PS#2, I personally would just disconnect the BlackVue MCX cable at the front camera when taking the hard top off, and be done with it, but that's just me. :)

HTH

Last edited:

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I can’t remember if I shared, but here is how I mounted mine so I can take the top off. My apologies for the rear view image, screen grab from a wet and rainy night

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions? 65425B1E-D804-4D9D-98CE-E54510FF0888
Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions? 2DE28C11-A1D9-4099-8577-36A6E8976DDD

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thanks Murph. I will keep that in mind as plan B I think. I thought the view would not as good as you show here. You do lose some peripheral view but you do catch more than I expected.
Sponsored