Sponsored

Routing Rear Cam wiring… any tips/suggestions?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have a BlackVue 900X 2ch. I have hardwired the front cam to the battery through the lower A pillar and cowling. Pretty clean. I am now looking for best routing of the rear cam that needs to plug into the front cam. For those that have installed a rear cam, any tips or suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Do you have a trim removal tool (something like this: https://a.co/d/dUAFgkM )?

Nothing really special about routing it. I took basically all of the trim off down the passenger side.
I do have a small arsenal. I just cringe though when tearing off trim and praying it all goes back together and looking like no one was there!

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I do have a small arsenal. I just cringe though when tearing off trim and praying it all goes back together and looking like no one was there!
Fortunately Jeep designed the whole damn vehicle to be taken apart and put back together again.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed a BlackVue DR900X-2CH. Since I have the Adaptave Cruise Control, I couldn't mount it in the center under the mirror, so I mounted it to the right of the mirror. This way it's out of my field of view. I'm using the accessory port plug for now, though it came with the hard wire kit, I want to tap into the auto-dim rear view mirror if possible.

https://blendmount.com/brand/mirrortap/

For the rear camera cable run, I keep a 25 yard roll of 3/4" Velcro handy so I can ride a few times and decide if the cable is in the right place. Then I bury it under the trim.

The rear camera wasn't a priority, since I'll be relocating to TX in a few weeks, and will be pulling a trailer. But I decided to do it now, so I won't have to do it later. I mounted the rear camera upside down by mistake. I never press down hard until I'm sure of the position, so I was able to flip it over. I didn't know the new BlackVue software lets you rotate 180 degrees. #duh

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I have a BlackVue 900X 2ch. I have hardwired the front cam to the battery through the lower A pillar and cowling. Pretty clean. I am now looking for best routing of the rear cam that needs to plug into the front cam. For those that have installed a rear cam, any tips or suggestions?
A T25 torx and pry tool allows pretty easy removal of the plastic trim around the roll cage. Plenty of room within for the rear camera wire. It is much easier with the top off

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a reason you guys are buying cameras instead of a camera'd rearview mirror? Maybe you don't have the rearward visibility issues that I had.
Insurance. :)

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A T25 torx and pry tool allows pretty easy removal of the plastic trim around the roll cage. Plenty of room within for the rear camera wire. It is much easier with the top off
+1 for routing the cables behind the roll cage trim.

Sponsored

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
A rearview mirror camera can record front and rear. It is, however, extremely discreet.
By "rear" do you mean the interior? I ment a front camera mounted by the rear view mirror, and a back camera mounted on the back window.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

By "rear" do you mean the interior? I ment a front camera mounted by the rear view mirror, and a back camera mounted on the back window.
It records in front of and behind the Jeep. Behind via a camera discreetly mounted within the spare. https://brandmotion.com/product/ful...r-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-2007-2021/

I don't, however, like how stupidly wide the field of view is. I'd probably appreciate seeing my blind spots like that if I didn't have the safety package, but it would be better (for me) if I could see a narrower view behind me.

BrentMG

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
It records in front of and behind the Jeep. Behind via a camera discreetly mounted within the spare. https://brandmotion.com/product/ful...r-jeep-wrangler-jk-jl-gladiator-jt-2007-2021/

I don't, however, like how stupidly wide the field of view is. I'd probably appreciate seeing my blind spots like that if I didn't have the safety package, but it would be better (for me) if I could see a narrower view behind me.
That looks interesting. How is the front camera, pretty clear?

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Ah I think we are talking about different things. Jeep’s optional front and standard rear cameras don't record. We are wiring BlackVie DR900X-2CH dash cams.

OP
OP
dragoneggs

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Ah I think we are talking about different things. Jeep’s optional front and standard rear cameras don't record. We are wiring BlackVie DR900X-2CH dash cams.
Exactly. I’m still wondering about the routing. The big question is where/how I create a quick disconnect for times when I want to remove the hardtop. Has anyone addressed this issue???
Sponsored