donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Reviving this thread to add another way to route wire.

So I posted a question regarding drilling through the A-Pillar today. Lots of views, no comments or answers regarding whether it would work or if it would compromise structural integrity. I had read another's post on the JT section who had wondered the same thing. He ended up routing his RF up the A-Pillar to his ceiling mounted comms. So he never got an answer on it either.

I hated the idea of drilling into the A-Pillar or even the firewall, so I went out to the garage today to figure out a better way. I think I found a good alternative. I completed it today and it really came out nice.

Here is what I did. I removed the windshield wipers and the side cowl piece above the fender. Then I lowered the windshield. This exposed the dash and the small gap that exists between it, the A-Pillar, and the top of the firewall. Plenty of room to pull wire through. I was installing the MLC-6 Lower switch assembly. Normally I would have removed the wires from the plug and re-assembled after pulling, but all of my electrical tools are still enroute with the moving company and I wanted to get this done. So I ran nylon fish tape (harbor freight) down through the gap and it popped out around the clutch pedal.

Now you can avoid the hassle I went through by doing the opposite of what I did next. I realized a little too late that I should have pulled the small end up and through to the upper dash gap, but I ended up pulling that larger plug down through everything. Stupid I know, but I was rushing myself and not thinking it through. It was challenging in a couple of spots, but even the big plug end made it though. To start the plug/wire, I had to use a prybar to increase the gap enough for it to pop through. This worked flawlessly with no damage. At another point I had to remove the vent that blows heat on the side window and mash the inner vent to get the plug around it. It forms right back when your done. You just have to push it back into shape. After that, it was pretty easy. All of this would have been much easier if I were just pulling wire without a plug on the end of it.

I'm attaching some pics that should give you an idea of what I have been describing. I don't know how to do captions like others have done in their posts. But the pics will be in the order I did it. Hope it helps a brother out. Super easy if you're just running straight wire without a plug on it. And no drilling required.

IMG_1086.JPEG

IMG_1087.JPEG

IMG_1091.JPEG

IMG_1093.JPEG

IMG_1099.JPEG

IMG_1100.JPEG

IMG_1103.JPEG

IMG_1105.JPEG

IMG_1107.JPEG

IMG_1112.JPEG
I ran my sPOD’s Cat6 wire from my CBBAR and through my A pillar on the drivers side. The hardest part was taking off the wiper arms to let the windshield down. $15 on eBay for a windshield arm puller.
Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
I routed wire for a front camera this weekend for my Heigh10. You only have to lower the windshield a small amount to have plenty of space to run the wires. I didn't have to remove my wipers. So easy.

Anibal

First Name
Anibal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara 2.0 2019
Good morning. I am grateful for the many suggestions and all possible. The suggestion of Brother Notams does not need any drilling, well cleaned even. This Forum has many experiences already lived and nothing is as a secret and always helping everyone. These are suggestions you don't have money to payThese are suggestions you don't have money to pay for.

Chris2089

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
FYI - I ran my wire next to the clutch cable (I think that is what that is) on my 2018 JLU. Plenty of space next to it. I didnt want to do it though the wiring harness grommet on the passenger side after reading about some people cutting some of the wires inside accidentally. Plus I needed the switch on the Drivers side anyway. The wire runs nicely along the windshield side of the engine inside that plastic channel.

I ran a wire hanger though it and then taped the wire to it and pulled it through no problem.

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Power Through Your Manual Transmission JL Firewall IMG_6838

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Power Through Your Manual Transmission JL Firewall InkedIMG_6839_LI

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Power Through Your Manual Transmission JL Firewall InkedIMG_6843_LI

theexpozay

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door JL Wrangler Willys
So I am installing a 2k pure sine wave inverter. (Yeah I know 2k is a lot) Anyway since I have a 2 door and I am likely doing a read seat delete the driver side rear foot well seems to be a good clean place to mount the beast. Here is the rub, It is a 6 speed and I need to use 1-0 wire from the battery to the inverter. (I am also installing a breaker by the battery just for safety. So I am really scratching my head about to where to run these beasties. I think I want to come out under the armrest since that area is not in use. and would place the cables inches from the inverter terminals. from there I am at a loss. I would much rather come into the cab on the passenger side to keep the run as short as possible so I am contemplating finding a place to add 2 grommets. Anyone got any ideas where it might be okay to drill through the firewall?

I guess the next option would be under the Jeep but rocks might object.

Sponsored

Theaudiowave

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler sport
Nice thanks for the tips! I did my wiring differently. What I did was open up my front windshield and I noticed there was a great space there so I ran my wiring through there and into the engine bay compartment no wires showing
Clean install and very easier then I thought

2022 Jlu wrangler

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I have a TON of wires running through that windshield gap, including SPOD cable and the charging wires of my Garmin, cell phones, and other electronics mounted above the dash. (I can’t stand charging cables hanging down from the dash.)

I got power for my RSE steps directly from the battery running through the floor plugs and along the frame rails, as I was already running wire that way for the electronically selectable Falcon shocks.

jstockton

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU
I faced this same challenge, "real" () Jeeps don't have a blank clutch plug for convenient wire routing. I pulled the carpet back and drilled through the floor pan behind my clutch pedal. It's fairly convenient to run cables from here up behind the dash and likewise right to the frame. I had to pass a camera connection so I drilled out a 1/2" hole and then filled it with rtv. Works sufficiently not only to seal up the hole but also to reduce chances of corrosion and keep the wire from getting cut.

Jeep Wrangler JL Routing Power Through Your Manual Transmission JL Firewall 3B2E142B-1778-40EC-8D56-9859AC6E519A
Does the carpet lay over the top of this wire? Does that put unnecessary stress on the wire by being bent?