Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
It's definitely speed related, I think a wheel balancing issue. One mistake I made was thinking that the KO2's I had previously were also load range E, so the only change I was intending was going from 11.2" to 12" in width. Diameter did not change. Are E-rated, 12" tires harder to get the balance correct? And even if the wheels themselves are unbalance, wouldn't that be corrected when the shop mounts and balances the tires?
They shouldn't be any harder to balance than any other tire. if you have them re-balanced, ask the shop about match mounting (indexes the tire to the wheel to cancel out imperfections) or road force balancing (applies force to the tire when balancing to simulate actual road use).
Most don't take the time to match mount although it is simple to do - you simply match the yellow dot on the tire (lightest radial point) with the valve stem (heaviest point on the wheel). Road force balancing is done by special machines, and not all shops have them.
Just for reference, I'm running 37s on Black Rhino wheels at -18 and they run smooth at 70+.
Sponsored

OP
OP

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
well you wanted aggressive and aggression you got. They get pissed when you drive them fast.
These Baja ATZ P3's are a 33" all terrain tire. Should ride better than 35 and 37" mud terrain's, yes?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
These Baja ATZ P3's are a 33" all terrain tire. Should ride better than 35 and 37" mud terrain's, yes?
"Ride better" is subjective. Really, tread wear, noise, and on-road wet performance are the reasons to go AT over MT. 35 and 37 would have more sidewall to flex.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Not necessarily. But my guess is you are having issues with the mounting. They might not be balanced correctly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
They shouldn't be any harder to balance than any other tire. if you have them re-balanced, ask the shop about match mounting (indexes the tire to the wheel to cancel out imperfections) or road force balancing (applies force to the tire when balancing to simulate actual road use).
Most don't take the time to match mount although it is simple to do - you simply match the yellow dot on the tire (lightest radial point) with the valve stem (heaviest point on the wheel). Road force balancing is done by special machines, and not all shops have them.
Just for reference, I'm running 37s on Black Rhino wheels at -18 and they run smooth at 70+.
Looked all around, frontside and backside, and no yellow or red dots.
On the other hand, while under there I noticed that 3 out of 4 tires have manufacture dates of 0621, but the 4th says 0315. That's 6 1/2 years; they shouldn't even be selling something that old. Not happy about that!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Take that tire back. And have them remove all the weights and rebalance. If any spot takes more than 2 oz, they need to clock 180 degrees.

OP
OP

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Take that tire back. And have them remove all the weights and rebalance. If any spot takes more than 2 oz, they need to clock 180 degrees.
Just looked at the weights. 2 wheels have 3 oz each. The third has 6 oz, and the fourth has 7 oz (that's 14 half oz weights).

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
3 oz is good, 6 and 7 not so. Is the old tire the one with the most weight?

OP
OP

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
3 oz is good, 6 and 7 not so. Is the old tire the one with the most weight?
No, old tire has just 3oz.
I just found out that 4WheelParts has a new store just 20 miles away. I bought these tires and wheels from them online but I'm heading up to the store tomorrow morning to discuss all this. And the TPMS system not working.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

humpndunk

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Problems solved.
Found out a brand new 4WheelParts store opened just a half hour away, the same week I ordered my new wheels & tires online. I decided to bring my issues in person to the manager of the new store to see if he could help. Boy was that the right thing to do.

He listened to my issues: Rough ride, wheels not balanced, TPMS sensors not working, and a 6 year old tire sold as new. He noted that these tires have been discontinued, and said “Look, let’s get rid of these tires, put you in the new Baja Boss with a better warranty and a load range D instead of E, program the TPMS sensors to your vehicle, road-force balance the wheels and test drive until you’re satisfied. No charge. We want you to be happy with your purchase.”

We got it done today and it drives like a dream compared to what I had last week. That’s some great customer service. I would definitely recommend this shop, 4WheelParts in Melbourne, Florida.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Problems solved.
Found out a brand new 4WheelParts store opened just a half hour away, the same week I ordered my new wheels & tires online. I decided to bring my issues in person to the manager of the new store to see if he could help. Boy was that the right thing to do.

He listened to my issues: Rough ride, wheels not balanced, TPMS sensors not working, and a 6 year old tire sold as new. He noted that these tires have been discontinued, and said “Look, let’s get rid of these tires, put you in the new Baja Boss with a better warranty and a load range D instead of E, program the TPMS sensors to your vehicle, road-force balance the wheels and test drive until you’re satisfied. No charge. We want you to be happy with your purchase.”

We got it done today and it drives like a dream compared to what I had last week. That’s some great customer service. I would definitely recommend this shop, 4WheelParts in Melbourne, Florida.
Best post I’ve read in a long time. Glad to see a 4WP manager that knows what he’s doing, takes care of the customer, and stands behind the products they sell. So many just opt for the COVID excuse these days and the “nothing I can do about it”.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Best post I’ve read in a long time. Glad to see a 4WP manager that knows what he’s doing, takes care of the customer, and stands behind the products they sell. So many just opt for the COVID excuse these days and the “nothing I can do about it”.
X2!!
Great to hear they took customer service to the highest level, I have 315/70/17 ATZP3s ready to install, luckily all my date codes are fresh. Haven't heard of any issues w/ the ATZs so probably a mounting issue. Nice upgrade w/ the new Baja Boss tires, the sidewalls alone are worth every penny!
Sponsored