Rough draft: Cost analysis of Diesel Wrangler

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
At our local station in OC, CA super unleaded is $4.49 and diesel $3.79. My fellow Calfornians recently voted to continue the outrageous gas taxes. I hope my son decides to go out of state for college so I can follow him and rid myself of Commiefornia.
Sponsored

jayvis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
At our local station in OC, CA super unleaded is $4.49 and diesel $3.79. My fellow Calfornians recently voted to continue the outrageous gas taxes. I hope my son decides to go out of state for college so I can follow him and rid myself of Commiefornia.
You have to wait for your kid to dictate where and how you're going to live the rest of your life? Good luck.

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU RUBICON 2.0 Turbo MOJITO
Hello, here in France as in many countries in Europe, we have a lot of diesel on our cars (70% in France). Diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline. But be aware that maintenance costs are higher for diesel. Diesel engines clog up quickly when driving in town and we have a lot of problems with the EGR valve and catalytic exhausts. The diesels swallow less fuel. The JEEP in France are often in Diesel (JK, JL, GC and Cherokee). Even the Wrangler JL is the majority in Diesel (with the 2.2 Alfa) and it works very well and it's a camel for fuel ... But, i have the JLUR with 2.0 turbo , we don't have the V6 here !

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Things to consider.

Actual discounted price. Some are getting their vehicles at MSRP. Some at 12% or more below.

Resale value which should be higher for an automatic with diesel.

We don’t buy Jeeps for fuel efficiency. Many will lift or at a minimum run larger tires. The diesel will be more efficient running 37s then the other options.

Final point. If you have to ask what’s the MPG then perhaps a Jeep not the best option. For most of us the decision will be qualitative and not quantitative. No spreadsheet going to solve that but smiles will prove that decision was well made. :)

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
We don’t buy Jeeps for fuel efficiency. Many will lift or at a minimum run larger tires. The diesel will be more efficient running 37s then the other options.

Final point. If you have to ask what’s the MPG then perhaps a Jeep not the best option. For most of us the decision will be qualitative and not quantitative. No spreadsheet going to solve that but smiles will prove that decision was well made. :)
I think for me and many others they want to know MPGs to get a better idea of the overall range. I could care less about the MPGs, but I do care about having to fuel up every 3-4 days. If I could get 400-500 miles per tank I would only have to fuel up basically once a week vs 2x a week. And if I go anywhere on the weekend that ends up being 3x per week. My family had a eco diesel GC and you could get 600-700 miles per tank and it was amazing.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
This thread doesn’t seem to be about range and more about justifying the increased expenditure.

Tank is 18 gallons and they are estimating 400 plus range and 20% increase over the turbo 4.

overlanders and preppers will appreciate the other conveniences of diesel which is safer to carry in Jerry cans. Available at truck stops nationwide. More available in emergency situations such as hurricanes. No gas lines at the local Exxon. ;)

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I think for me and many others they want to know MPGs to get a better idea of the overall range. I could care less about the MPGs, but I do care about having to fuel up every 3-4 days. If I could get 400-500 miles per tank I would only have to fuel up basically once a week vs 2x a week. And if I go anywhere on the weekend that ends up being 3x per week. My family had a eco diesel GC and you could get 600-700 miles per tank and it was amazing.
Recent story is at 30 MPG and 18 gallon tank you get 540 miles...figure 3 or 4 gallons left in the tank for a fill up that's about 450 miles between fill ups! Bigger tires will change that!

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hello, 30MPG is not possible with the 3.0 V6 diesel. In Europe the GC WK2 with the same engine is very widespread, I have a friend who has this JEEP (stock) that consumes 18-20 MPG . The Wrangler JLU Diesel 2.2L of 200hp (a lot here), consumes 26-27 MPG. 30 MPG is for Audi A5 2.0TDI Automatic!

Eeshasdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Diesel Rubicon
My '16 Gen 2 Ecodiesel normally get 23-24 mpg back and forth to work. On the highway I have gotten as high as 28 mpg. That is calculated not what the trip computer says. This is with 32x12.5 tires mounted on 20" wheels.

Let's be honest, we are not getting the diesel only for the fuel economy, it that was the case we would all drive Golf TDI's or heaven for bid a Prius. It's really about the grunt. I mean who does lot love the idea of 440 lbft or torque. :like:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
hello, 30MPG is not possible with the 3.0 V6 diesel.
Sure it is...take off the DPF and run a dynamic EGR efficiency tune lol. Seriously though, if the heavier 4x4 1500 with a more aggressive tune for torque can get 29mpg hwy, trade the weight for aero inefficiency and there’s no reason an already down-tuned 3.0 JLU with 3.73s doesn’t get 30+ on the highway without all the efficiency-sapping exhaust equipment.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Anyone have a spreadsheet to compare smiles per gallon? Perhaps we examine toll booth photos. :)

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
hello, 30MPG is not possible with the 3.0 V6 diesel. In Europe the GC WK2 with the same engine is very widespread, I have a friend who has this JEEP (stock) that consumes 18-20 MPG . The Wrangler JLU Diesel 2.2L of 200hp (a lot here), consumes 26-27 MPG. 30 MPG is for Audi A5 2.0TDI Automatic!
Not sure where "here" is but in the US it not only is possible, but has already happened. The Chevy 1500 full size pickup is rated at 33 MPG.

Chrysler has already released the numbers for 1500 Dodge Ram pickup. It is 30 MPG and that is the same engine they are putting in the Wrangler. So 30 MPG is definitely possible.

These are facts!

https://www.trucks.com/2019/08/20/first-drive-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-smooth-towing-machine/

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
My '16 Gen 2 Ecodiesel normally get 23-24 mpg back and forth to work. On the highway I have gotten as high as 28 mpg. That is calculated not what the trip computer says. This is with 32x12.5 tires mounted on 20" wheels.

Let's be honest, we are not getting the diesel only for the fuel economy, it that was the case we would all drive Golf TDI's or heaven for bid a Prius. It's really about the grunt. I mean who does lot love the idea of 440 lbft or torque. :like:
You are so right...if you are worried about the economy, a Jeep might not be a good idea. You will never save enough on fuel to fund your mods!

I am getting it because I love Diesels and I want a Jeep...the 442 Lbs of torque is awesome!

JL.FR

First Name
Casa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where "here" is but in the US it not only is possible, but has already happened. The Chevy 1500 full size pickup is rated at 33 MPG.

Chrysler has already released the numbers for 1500 Dodge Ram pickup. It is 30 MPG and that is the same engine they are putting in the Wrangler. So 30 MPG is definitely possible.

These are facts!

https://www.trucks.com/2019/08/20/first-drive-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-smooth-towing-machine/
In France we have a lot of recent diesel (French, german and asiatic) and mainly small cars in comparison with American cars (PickUp and other SUV very heavy, with big foot) 33MPG is what consumes our small cars daily and they are half as heavy, with L4 engines of 100-120hp. I think the "advertised" consumption is only advertising and not real. In Europe, very few American cars are homologated (it's not that we do not like them) because they consume too much ... The Wrangler JL is (Europe) just with L4 2.0 turbo because the V6 is too gas gaseler. And for europe market we have the L4 2,2 diesel 200hp with 26-27MPG maximum. it's already exceptional for a JEEP of this weight !

You are not forced to believe me, but it is the experience, not the advertising of FCA

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When I did the basic math a few months ago over on the JT side, I concluded that the average person will spend $1k more annually to have the diesel in their driveway.

Excerpt:

According to the U.S. EIA, the avg. national price for 87 octane pump gas is 2.62 and diesel is 3.01 as of today. That's a $0.39 price difference per gallon.

Using numbers from a current EcoDiesel Ram vs. Pentastar Gladiator, there is a 3 MPG difference between the gas and diesel (taken from fueleconomy.gov) and that "combined" figure on the window sticker most closely matches what the average U.S. driver will see.

Let's do basic math:

15,000 miles per year/22 MPG = 682 gallons of diesel @ 3.01/gallon = $2,053 annually

15,000 miles per year/19 MPG = 789 gallons of gasoline @ 2.62/gallon = $2,067 annually

EcoDiesel is +$14 annually at this point

Then:

EcoDiesel oil change = 2 jugs @ $20/ea = $40 + Mopar fuel and oil filter = $95 x twice annually = $270

Pentastar oil change = 1 jug @ $20 = $20 + Mopar oil filter @ $10 = $30 x twice annually = $60

EcoDiesel is now -$196 per year

Then:

Upfront cost of EcoDiesel $5,000 / 7 years (average ownership length of a new car in the U.S.) = $714 annually

EcoDiesel is now -$910 annually

So, you end up paying nearly a grand yearly to drive the EcoDiesel over the Pentastar, which doesn't seem as bad as I expected. But, you certainly will not ever save money with the EcoDiesel. It's an expense, not a savings to go diesel.

The wildcard we haven't mentioned here is average cost of repairs. A lot of owners of diesels with the Bosch CP4 injection pumps have said that when theirs failed, the automaker denied warranty coverage and claimed "bad fuel" as a way to get out of paying for it. The $8,000 to $12,000 tab was then picked up by the insurance company in some cases, which surely would lead to a "hit" on your policy and a subsequent increase in rates. There are a lot of things like injection pumps, injectors, emissions controls, etc. on the diesel that simply cost more over time.

I personally believe this is why GM is coming out swinging by setting the price for their light duty diesel in the Silverado at such a small upcharge. The lower the upfront cost, the more justification you can make for going with the diesel.

I think FCA should set the Gladiator EcoDiesel pricing at $2,500 upcharge maximum in order to sell them in high numbers. The problem is that Gladiator is already overpriced in general, so adding large increases for the diesel option will certainly make it out of range for most buyers.
Sponsored