Rough Country Vertex shocks review

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Cherokee, 93 Wrangler, 19 Wrangler
Just installed a set of Rough Country Vertex adjustable shocks.

My rig: 2019 Rubicon 2-door, 35" tires with no bump stop spacers.

Shocks installed:
-fronts: 68008
-rears: 69009R/L

These are for 2-3" of lift.

These shocks will extend your droop by about 1.5" at both the front and rear of the vehicle, without the need for extended bump stops. The shocks bottom out after about 1.5" compression of factory bump stops. Total travel for the Vertex front shocks is 9.5" and rear shocks 10.5".

These shocks have a very large shaft. That much area combined with the high reservoir charge lifted my rig 1" at every corner.

Ride quality:
Holy cow, someone did their homework.

Rebound: I had serious issues with the (too) soft rebound of the factory shocks. In sand dune whoops, the suspension would pogo bad and lead to bad bottoming issues and bucking. In the trees on the trail, it would weeble-wobble pogo side to side through the ruts and roots. The rebound on the Vertex shocks is MUCH more controlled, and leads to an overall ride that gives great confidence at higher speeds and makes the nasty go away. No more bucking.

Compression: Good so far. I have only really tested it on level 1 (softest setting). Better bottoming resistance than stock, yet softer on the high speed (small jarring bumps. Think washboards). Makes most of them disappear. I haven't tried it on any harder settings, but I am really looking forward to pounding them in the sand dune whoops.

Fit and finish:
Perfect fit. The rears bolt right in. The fronts need to have the springs removed to install the reservoir holding brackets. It would have been much easier not to have to remove the front springs, but it tucks the reservoir away nicely, while still leaving the adjuster in perfect reach. I love the easy swivels they used on the remote reservoir hoses. Totally top-notch.

Finish is great quality. I am a little concerned about how well the zinc coating on the shaft and spacers will hold up to the winter de-icing corrosion, but we'll see in a few years how that goes. Would have preferred stainless hardware for longevity.

I have no other high end Jeep shocks to compare these to, but will say these were impressive out of the box. I have a pretty good background with supermoto/dirtbike/streebike suspension though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review! These look rad. Are you running the stock coils?
I have only run them with a set of 2.5" Rock Krawler dual rate coils made for a 4-door. These springs will be coming off. They are not uncomfortable, but are a bit stiffer than I would like and they lifted the rig a bit more than I wanted. Flexiness seems a tad reduced. These springs alone lifted the rear 2.5" and the front 3". Add the extra inch gained from the shocks, and its just too tall. LCG is important on the really steep climbs. With these springs, the front has 6" of chrome/3.5" droop, and the rear 5.5" chrome/5" droop. I want the ride height to end up about .5" less than the middle of the shock stroke.

Running the RK springs and stock shocks felt a bit more firm than totally stock ride. Running the RK springs with the Vertex shocks felt better than stock.

I dont plan on running them with the stock 2-door coils, but plan to run them with a set of stock Rubicon springs from a 4-door.

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I reinstalled the stock coils.

I am loving the performance of these shocks.

Compression set at level 1 is noticeably softer than stock on the rough/high speed stuff, with slightly better bottoming resistance.

Set the compression at 2nd level, and the highway ride is close (but still better) in rough/chattery stuff as the stock shocks, yet WAY more controlled. Bottoming resistance is dramatically better than stock.

Will be wheelin' tomorrow to get a good feel for how they work in the mountains.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Freaking phenomenal.

Set the tires at 8psi, set the clickers at full-hard (8th position), and pounded the whoops at the dunes beautifully.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Freaking phenomenal.

Set the tires at 8psi, set the clickers at full-hard (8th position), and pounded the whoops at the dunes beautifully.
Are you still running the stock springs and 35” tires?

Nice review

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you still running the stock springs and 35” tires?

Nice review
Yes. I also have a 2" spacer kit in there (came 2" rear, 2.5" front), but will be dropping it back down to 1.5" front and rear. Still with factory bump stops. The tires stuff nicely, but need to remove those stupid flaps behind the rear tire / bumper area as they are rubbing very noisily at full stuff.

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ummm, shocks don't add lift.
In a direct comparison between the stock shocks and these shocks, they did. I tested them several times to be sure, using the exact methods every time. The tape measure doesn't lie.

As the shock shaft diameter and/or nitrogen pressure increase, you will achieve more lifting force and more force per PSI. The stock shocks have a shaft whose diameter (pressure surface area) is less than half the size of the RC shock shafts. If you care to see it first hand, you can feel it for yourself. Take a stock shock and compress it by hand, then try to do it with one of these. It takes a lot more pressure to compress it.

It's a real thing. For those that prefer to assemble their own lift setup and looking for a very specific number, they should take this into account. I am sure it's the same for any aftermarket shock that uses a very large shaft and has a nitrogen charge.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In a direct comparison between the stock shocks and these shocks, they did. I tested them several times to be sure, using the exact methods every time. The tape measure doesn't lie.

As the shock shaft diameter and/or nitrogen pressure increase, you will achieve more lifting force and more force per PSI. The stock shocks have a shaft whose diameter (pressure surface area) is less than half the size of the RC shock shafts. If you care to see it first hand, you can feel it for yourself. Take a stock shock and compress it by hand, then try to do it with one of these. It takes a lot more pressure to compress it.

It's a real thing. For those that prefer to assemble their own lift setup and looking for a very specific number, they should take this into account. I am sure it's the same for any aftermarket shock that uses a very large shaft and has a nitrogen charge.
Lol. No. If shocks had enough pressure/up force to lift your vehicle the ride would be terrible. Ride height is set by the springs, period. Your tape measure does in fact lie apparently.

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol. No. If shocks had enough pressure/up force to lift your vehicle the ride would be terrible. Ride height is set by the springs, period. Your tape measure does in fact lie apparently.
This thread is an unbiased factual review of my experience with these shocks. Period.

Thanks for your wonderfully informative input in the review. I am sure it has helped thousands. :idea:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This thread is an unbiased factual review of my experience with these shocks. Period.

Thanks for your wonderfully informative input in the review. I am sure it has helped thousands. :idea:
Look man, you have a giant misunderstanding of how shocks work. I'm sorry that makes you butthurt. I would never buy anything from rough country but thanks for your "unbiased facts".

Nick p

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover
@RV Wrench
The gas pressure in a new shock may lift the vehicle very slightly, maybe 1/4 of an inch but generally is irrelevant. You could take the shocks off and lie them on the floor and the vehicle should still be at the same ride height.
I genuinely can’t see how changing the shocks it affecting your ride height? Unbolt the lower rears and let them hang free. Measure the ride height before and after, it should be identical and will only take 10 mins.
To expand a little...... rear spring rates are approximately 150lb/inch To lift your vehicle 1 “ each shock would have to be exerting that same 150 lbs. I can’t see how it can do that.

Good to hear how pleased you are with the product:)

OP
OP
RV Wrench

RV Wrench

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look man, you have a giant misunderstanding of how shocks work. I'm sorry that makes you butthurt. I would never buy anything from rough country but thanks for your "unbiased facts".
I'm not butthurt at all. Not sure why you even posted in this thread except that maybe you are offended that someone has a positive review of RC shocks. Nobody cares about your bias.

I have an excellent understanding of pressure dynamics.

Here are the real world numbers:
-these shocks have reservoir pressure at ride height at 110lbs at 60 degrees ambient. I just went out and checked.
-surface area of the shock shaft comes to 0.493 sq in. (Radius is 0.396")
-calculated upward pressure exerted at each shock is roughly 54 lbs at ride height. It's not a ton (snark), but it will lift the rig a little. :beer:
Sponsored