Rough Country Tire Carrier

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone else have the Rough Country tire carrier and have a similar gap between steel bumper and bottom or tire? Is there a way I can lower it?

I currently have 35” BFG KM3’s for reference but I would love to lower the tire a bit as I think it would look better and also give me more of the rear window available.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Tire Carrier A96AC005-F307-403E-B654-EC572DF2ADA4

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Tire Carrier 9313EA99-2A99-41DC-B7CC-581BBF866575
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Your only option would be to remove that relocation bracket and get something that offers both height and depth adjustability. The Teraflex Alpha HD carrier is well worth the money.

On top of not having any control over the height, the spare also gets pulled further away from the tailgate. That amplifies the spares leverage over wanting to twist the gate, and not having the rubber bumpers firmly contacting the inner sidewall makes it that much worse.

OP
OP
Nole_Dynasty

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Your only option would be to remove that relocation bracket and get something that offers both height and depth adjustability. The Teraflex Alpha HD carrier is well worth the money.

On top of not having any control over the height, the spare also gets pulled further away from the tailgate. That amplifies the spares leverage over wanting to twist the gate, and not having the rubber bumpers firmly contacting the inner sidewall makes it that much worse.
Yea, agreed that I need to get a new tire carrier. Can’t decide between the MetalCloak and the Teraflex Alpha.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, agreed that I need to get a new tire carrier. Can’t decide between the MetalCloak and the Teraflex Alpha.
If you don't plan on going any bigger than 35's, both are great options. But if you do, I'd recommend looking at one that also replaces the hinges.

I had the Teraflex, and it was great as a stand-alone for my 35's. It's when I upped it to 38's, that my tailgate started to hate me. The spare felt solid enough while I hit it and shook it, but when I replaced it with a hinged setup, the cargo area became very quiet and the tailgate no longer sagged when opening. It feels so strong, that I could probably sit on the spare while the gate is open.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Nole_Dynasty

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you don't plan on going any bigger than 35's, both are great options. But if you do, I'd recommend looking at one that also replaces the hinges.

I had the Teraflex, and it was great as a stand-alone for my 35's. It's when I upped it to 38's, that my tailgate started to hate me. The spare felt solid enough while I hit it and shook it, but when I replaced it with a hinged setup, the cargo area became very quiet and the tailgate no longer sagged when opening. It feels so strong, that I could probably sit on the spare while the gate is open.
Which hinged setup did you go with?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Which hinged setup did you go with?
The Cavfab Elite hinged reinforcement and adjustable carrier. It gets sent out in bare steel, so it needs to be coated. I had mine powder coated in the same lightly textured black as the Mopar steel front bumper, and the nameplate was done in the same gloss red as the Rubicon tow hooks. I also got the rear bumper from the same company, finished exactly the same.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Tire Carrier 20210117_135607_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Tire Carrier 20201223_135529
Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country Tire Carrier 20201223_135546

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
The Cavfab Elite hinged reinforcement and adjustable carrier. It gets sent out in bare steel, so it needs to be coated. I had mine powder coated in the same lightly textured black as the Mopar steel front bumper, and the nameplate was done in the same gloss red as the Rubicon tow hooks. I also got the rear bumper from the same company, finished exactly the same.
Does that come with a solution for the third brake light and the license plate? Or did you add other products for this?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does that come with a solution for the third brake light and the license plate? Or did you add other products for this?
Yes, the 3rd brake light and plate is part of the deal. Only thing that gets left to the user, is a plate light. I opted for the dual bolt light kit from Artec, which I got from Northridge 4x4. I believe it's 2 led diodes each, that are integrated into the plate mounting bolts. I extended the factory harness, and ran it along the back of the bumper, up into the cargo area, and followed the other harnesses through and out of the tailgate.

Also, the bracket for the light and plate also has a mount for the reverse camera.
Sponsored