Sponsored

Rough country skid plates

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I messaged them asking that as that’s what I would have preferred. Here’s there response. It’s pretty dumb as their jk gas tank skid isn’t $400 but because it’s a jl it isn’t available and would be $400. Here’s there reply.

5F79A5B3-A1F3-4D6C-9C91-0CE538DB0A82.jpeg
Translation....sales margins/demand doesn't currently justify repackaging it and selling the gas tank separately. :asshat:

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I’m not opposed to a gas tank skid, but the Jeep comes with one. I figure I can just replace it if it gets messed up. I guess it depends on how hard it is to install. I don’t want to drop the tank, but I’d think an add on would lose quite a bit of clearance.

Foggy47

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, billet silver w/ 1 touch sky top. Honda Ridgeline for gentleman's pickup needs.
Occupation
Retired with hobbies. Golf, Fishing, Hunting, Sploring
I’m not opposed to a gas tank skid, but the Jeep comes with one. I figure I can just replace it if it gets messed up. I guess it depends on how hard it is to install. I don’t want to drop the tank, but I’d think an add on would lose quite a bit of clearance.
After reading many threads.....I tend to agree with your idea's on the gas tank skid......at least for my purposes. I decided to go light......because that is the way I wheel. I don't recall ever seeing a thread on someone with a punctured gas tank. (?) And......I do more "sploring" than rock crawling.

Just yesterday, I bought the aluminum Engine / tranny/ transfer case skid by Quadratec. I figure if I bash these too badly, I am not out much (if they do their job) and I can spend the money saved on some other protection (diff skids, etc).

If I was way into HD rock crawling.....I would take another path. Lots of different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
This is my JL stock skid after a year of wheeling across Oregon, including Tillamook State Forest and most recently the Rubicon trail. Most of the year was on a 1.5” lift and 37”s. Before the Rubicon, I raised the lift to about 3”. HOWEVER, I was 7000 pounds for the Rubicon, had the wife, 2 kids, roof rack and tons of crap. It was literally touching the rear bump stops just sitting still. I didn’t take any bypasses, went through little sluice, etc... (didn’t get to old sluice). The skid doesn’t have a dent in it, only scratches.

C829195601F244E29713.jpg

Sponsored

Paramaniac413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
Anyone else having a problem with front drive shaft hitting the bracket?
I did. I installed the Mopar 2” lift and it solved the problem. Only other way to fix it (that I know of) is an upgraded driveshaft.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just curious if I need to modify it somehow? I do off road and I don’t want to do a lift. I’m going to SMORR this weekend. Hope it doesn’t rub any. Don’t want to tear up the drive shaft. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Paramaniac413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
How bad did it rub? Was it at full flex or what?
It wasn’t full flex. I’m in Pennsylvania, so PennDOT sucks and some of the bumps are killer, but even on the smaller ones, as long as I was at speed, hit the bump with both tires, I would hear (and feel) it hit.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

It wasn’t full flex. I’m in Pennsylvania, so PennDOT sucks and some of the bumps are killer, but even on the smaller ones, as long as I was at speed, hit the bump with both tires, I would hear (and feel) it hit.
is your sahara awd? i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Sponsored

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't think about that. I have a Rubicon. Wonder if that makes a difference.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I tested them out today. Went to SMORR in Missouri. Didn’t get any driveshaft rub. Can’t say if I was full flex or not, but the driver front tire was stuffed in the fender. I thought it did a couple of times, but crawled underneath the Jeep and didn’t see any wear areas.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i do like the rc skid plates and thinking of getting them. however i just looked it up and see that they dont offer them for the 2 door jl. is that right or i'm overlooking something.

Paramaniac413

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
The lift solved the problem of the DS hitting the bracket. I had the mechanic check to see if I needed to upgrade the DS. He said the lift solved the issue - and it did. I still may upgrade the DS later on, but only after I pay off the 2” Mopar Lift the Dealer put on. lol

OP
OP
Jerrybizzle

Jerrybizzle

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Tech
The lift solved the problem of the DS hitting the bracket. I had the mechanic check to see if I needed to upgrade the DS. He said the lift solved the issue - and it did. I still may upgrade the DS later on, but only after I pay off the 2” Mopar Lift the Dealer put on. lol
What did they charge you for it with install? Good to hear no more rubbing.
Sponsored