Rays1stJEEP

First Name
Ray Larson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep wrangler unlimited JL
Hello everyone.
New to the forum. First Jeep ever. Just picked up my JL Monday.
I was at my local tire/stereo shop today and they told me that Rough Country just released their 2.5 inch lift kit for our Jeeps.
$159.00. Any thoughts on these? I know nothing about lift kits been a car guy all my life. Thanks for any input.
Here is the link.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-suspension-lift-kit-676c.html
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Hello everyone.
I was at my local tire/stereo shop today and they told me that Rough Country just released their 2.5 inch lift kit for our Jeeps.
$159.00. Any thoughts on these? I know nothing about lift kits been a car guy all my life. Thanks for any input.
Here is the link.
What do you want to do with your Jeep? $159.00 should give you pause if you are lifting for more than a look.

OP
OP

Rays1stJEEP

First Name
Ray Larson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What do you want to do with your Jeep? $159.00 should give you pause if you are lifting for more than a look.
For now I'm just going for a look. The only lifts I have seen are the Mopar ones and now the Rough Country. I just want to put some 35s on it. There aren't too many places near the Boston area to go off-roading.

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
For now I'm just going for a look. The only lifts I have seen are the Mopar ones and now the Rough Country. I just want to put some 35s on it. There aren't too many places near the Boston area to go off-roading.
Ok, if it is just for the look, $159.00 isn't a large investment and it looks easily reversible if you ever want to do a serious lift for performance and looks.

Zoobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
It's just a spacer lift... so it's not going to give you the flex of a lift with longer springs. If you aren't going to go offroading much, it's fine... otherwise it's just a very basic / inexpensive / poor-man's solution. The Mopar 2" lift is a much more complete (and expensive) solution.

Really depends on what you plan to do with your Jeep...

Sponsored

rcr1340

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon(LJ)
Occupation
retail manager
Rough Country is the lowest quality lift out there. I recommend avoiding them at all expense. Check out offroadevolution.com. They have JL lifts out already and much better quaility. Mopar is a great lift but if you don't want to spend $1500 look at EVO

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
For what you want a spacer lift will work fine, Rough Country had early issues with their spring lifts and other taller lifts for the JKs but have made some good strides, almost all spacer lifts are identical as you are just adding extensions to your factory suspension. If you are somewhat mechanical they are easy to install and will get you familiar with your JL.

If your not in a hurry Teraflex will most likely have their performance spacer lift for the JLs out pretty soon, here is the JK version. There are a very reputable and favored company in the Jeep world.

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-2-5-performance-spacer-lift-kit-w-9550-shocks

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hello everyone.
Here is the link.
Rough country is synonymous with garbage.

OP
OP

Rays1stJEEP

First Name
Ray Larson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies and input. I don't see me doing any off-roading any time soon. I just like the look of the lifted Jeeps (always wanted one). I'm coming from a 2015 SRT Challenger. So this already a huge adjustment for me. lol. So for right now I just want the look. I'm just a little impatient waiting for new accessories for the JL. I know I am going to change things multiple times. To some it all up, Rough Country is a no go?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for the replies and input. I don't see me doing any off-roading any time soon. I just like the look of the lifted Jeeps (always wanted one). I'm coming from a 2015 SRT Challenger. So this already a huge adjustment for me. lol. So for right now I just want the look. I'm just a little impatient waiting for new accessories for the JL. I know I am going to change things multiple times. To some it all up, Rough Country is a no go?
Like another poster said, I would steer clear of them. Evo already has a much more comprehensive budget lift out. It's a little more expensive (around $450 I think), but you won't be sorry. Even a 2.5" lift changes suspension geometry. Evo and other quality companies address that while Rough Country just gets you higher as cheap as they possibly can.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rays1stJEEP

First Name
Ray Larson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like another poster said, I would steer clear of them. Evo already has a much more comprehensive budget lift out. It's a little more expensive (around $450 I think), but you won't be sorry. Even a 2.5" lift changes suspension geometry. Evo and other quality companies address that while Rough Country just gets you higher as cheap as they possibly can.
Thanks. I believe I found the EVO you mentioned https://www.offroadevolution.com/product/evo-mfg-2-5-jl-boost-suspension-system-stage-1/. I will look into those.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
It's just a spacer lift... so it's not going to give you the flex of a lift with longer springs. If you aren't going to go offroading much, it's fine... otherwise it's just a very basic / inexpensive / poor-man's solution. The Mopar 2" lift is a much more complete (and expensive) solution.

Really depends on what you plan to do with your Jeep...
Let's pull this back a little bit. It's kind of insulting to suggest people like me that choose to use a BB can't afford something else. We've had an '07, '12 and '14 JKURs. All off them were fitted with a 2-1/2" Teraflex BB (spacer lift) with an extra 1" spacer in the front to offset the weight of my winch and bumper. On the '14 I stuck a set of Metalcloak lower arms on to dial in the caster, but did nothing on the '12 or '07. I even use the factory shocks with adapters.

I run 35's and drive it from Kansas City to Moab, wheel all week and then drive it home. We've been going twice a year - summer and winter - since '06 and not one time in those 20+ trips have I been stopped due to a lack of flex. Not one time has any Jeep I've followed, on 35s, did something that I couldn't, regardless of what lift they were running. My JK runs straight and true down the street, doesn't wander, doesn't beat you up, doesn't vibrate, doesn't bounce and I've got less than $600 in the lift, including the lower arms. I'm in Kansas City and welcome anyone to come drive it.

I can afford a more expensive lift, but I chose not to buy one. If I was starting off with a Sport or Sahara, at least on the JK, I might consider a more complete lift since the springs & shocks are not as good as the Rubicons, but I don't know how much better, if any, they are on the JLs.

Anyway, you absolutely do not need a high dollar super-duper megaflex 6000 lift to run hard trails or have a good ride. The JL already has incredible flex from the factory, so doing nothing more than adding a couple inches of height won't suddenly turn it into a piece of crap.

Edit: I should add, when I bought my kit the Teraflex came with everything but a rear trackbar bracket, which I also added, to keep the geometry dialed in. I wouldn't stick some spacers on ONLY, but spacers and brackets to keep it dial-in. . . absolutely.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Let's pull this back a little bit. It's kind of insulting to suggest people like me that choose to use a BB can't afford something else. We've had an '07, '12 and '14 JKURs. All off them were fitted with a 2-1/2" Teraflex BB (spacer lift) with an extra 1" spacer in the front to offset the weight of my winch and bumper. On the '14 I stuck a set of Metalcloak lower arms on to dial in the caster, but did nothing on the '12 or '07. I even use the factory shocks with adapters.

I run 35's and drive it from Kansas City to Moab, wheel all week and then drive it home. We've been going twice a year - summer and winter - since '06 and not one time in those 20+ trips have I been stopped due to a lack of flex. Not one time has any Jeep I've followed, on 35s, did something that I couldn't, regardless of what lift they were running. My JK runs straight and true down the street, doesn't wander, doesn't beat you up, doesn't vibrate, doesn't bounce and I've got less than $600 in the lift, including the lower arms. I'm in Kansas City and welcome anyone to come drive it.

I can afford a more expensive lift, but I chose not to buy one. If I was starting off with a Sport or Sahara, at least on the JK, I might consider a more complete lift since the springs & shocks are not as good as the Rubicons, but I don't know how much better, if any, they are on the JLs.

Anyway, you absolutely do not need a high dollar super-duper megaflex 6000 lift to run hard trails or have a good ride. The JL already has incredible flex from the factory, so doing nothing more than adding a couple inches of height won't suddenly turn it into a piece of crap.
If you don't understand

You can do whatever you want, but if you think stuffing 3.5 inches of spacers in your front end is the right way to lift a jeep then I don't know what to tell you.

Hip2u77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine: '14 JKUR, Hers: '18 JLUR
If you don't understand

You can do whatever you want, but if you think stuffing 3.5 inches of spacers in your front end is the right way to lift a jeep then I don't know what to tell you.
I never said it was the right way, nor the best way, but after 220,000 miles, in 3 JKURs, I know that you don't NEED to have a high-dollar lift to make a JK taller, sit level and still drive and wheel good.

Edit: Just noticed you bashed me for running spacers literally two posts after telling someone they won't regret running an Evo spacer lift.
Sponsored

Last edited: