Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking I have the older RC bracket as my 315’s ride on the back fine and I still have a pretty decent rear view, I did not install it I had it done by @TTEChris Owner/Operator of Tankcustoms here in Houston and he never mentioned he drilled the plate when mounting

CD494E77-1C99-4E6A-8007-5F60AEC4E94B.jpeg
You do have one of the earlier revisions that is lower. I'm not certain why they raised it so much as I was even able to fit a 37" Spare with the factory Rubicon bumper. The only thing I can think of is that they did it for those with backup sensors. I've noticed in some instances(dependent on the offset of the wheel) it would trigger the backup sensors with the spare raised and sticking further out.
Sponsored

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I attempted to install this today but there is not enough slack in the wiring if the third brake light is raised up. I re-routed the wiring as instructed but if the third brake light is raised up, the wiring grommet can’t be pushed back into the hole in the tailgate. Is this because of the re-engineered bracket raising it higher than the original?

EF936632-185F-4DEF-81E3-6F1FBF9826F9.jpeg

36FAC8C4-B3A2-46D9-9419-30C6A46854CC.jpeg
I ran my wire on the outside of post that holds the 3rd brake light. This was the only way it would fit. -followed the directions first and it came out like yours-

Way too much lift for my liking. RC said they would return. Smitty built’s has been back ordered.

C39D8F53-C2DE-4973-A517-00751BBD9B96.jpeg

AA8D65FC-AC9D-4AFE-B7EB-F84544F0CD42.jpeg

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon (bright white)
Vehicle Showcase
@Peanut Butter , mine looks the same as yours. There was zero slack in the brake light wire to work with. I'll probably end up getting the Mopar brake light relocation bracket. Besides, not sure drivers behind me can see the 3rd brake light...especially if they're in a car.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Drilling the RC bracket is pretty quick and easy (assuming you have a good bit) and then installing is also easy as long as you have a ratcheting wrench for the top two bolts. Again when only raising 2.25 inches there is no issue with the wiring, it all reaches without modification

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
@Peanut Butter , mine looks the same as yours. There was zero slack in the brake light wire to work with. I'll probably end up getting the Mopar brake light relocation bracket. Besides, not sure drivers behind me can see the 3rd brake light...especially if they're in a car.
Yup. I think I’m going to do a bumper with tire carrier. I had that in the CJ and it was really nice. Hoping prices drop a bit as some competitors continue to hit the market.

Sponsored

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yup. I think I’m going to do a bumper with tire carrier. I had that in the CJ and it was really nice. Hoping prices drop a bit as some competitors continue to hit the market.
Let's hope they do before my poor tailgate hinges start to sag lol...I don't see myself spending $500-800 on a carrier reinforcement kit.

OP
OP
Rough Country Suspensions

Rough Country Suspensions

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roughcountry.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 1998 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Sales Supervisor
We will be launching the older style relocation bracket for those that do not have sensors and want to keep the tire low. They should be going through manufacturing end of next week and available first of 2019.

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smitty built’s has been back ordered.
Consider yourself lucky and order something else. The Smittybilt relocation bracket rattled like crazy for me. And I'm not alone with the problem if you do a search on these forums. If you're in NorCal I'll let you have it for free.

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
Consider yourself lucky and order something else. The Smittybilt relocation bracket rattled like crazy for me. And I'm not alone with the problem if you do a search on these forums. If you're in NorCal I'll let you have it for free.
Good info and I appreciate the offer. But, I’ll have to decline :)

What did you end up getting?

Kapoosh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good info and I appreciate the offer. But, I’ll have to decline :)

What did you end up getting?
I went with the LOD bracket. Mainly because I didn't like the height of the Rough Country bracket and I have a base model so no sensors to deal with.

That said, the LOD relocation bracket stopped the rattles but I'm still not that comfortable with a 37 on the stock tire carrier. I currently have the ACE body mounted tire carrier on order. I just wish I had done more research for reviews on the smittybilt bracket before buying it.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I know it’s only a bracket but then lower RC bracket I have works extremely well and seems rock solid and does not rattle one bit, my bracket according to Chris of Tankcustoms is the original lower one

Peanut Butter

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL?
I know it’s only a bracket but then lower RC bracket I have works extremely well and seems rock solid and does not rattle one bit, my bracket according to Chris of Tankcustoms is the original lower one
Mine works fine too. Quality product. Good company. Just 3” higher than the one I ordered;)

Justin836

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unl
I purchased a RC bracket to run my 37s. I would agree with everyone else, it’s entirely way to high. I was barely able to make my brake light cable work without pulling the entire plug out. As my Rubi doesn’t have back up sensors I would ideally like to lower the bracket, and also utilize bump stops as mine are currently easily 5” away from the tire. Not being the most mechanically inclined would someone be kind enough to show where I would have to drill new holes? As of right now I feel like my tailgate is eventually going to fall off from the tire bouncing around even using the mopar reinforcement bracket.

ebelp

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As of right now I feel like my tailgate is eventually going to fall off from the tire bouncing around even using the mopar reinforcement bracket.
I don't think this has anything to do with the relocation bracket. Did you upgrade the bump stops? I did...and mine is damn snug and only moves when i hit a dip in the road or a big bump. Other than that it doesn't move.

Justin836

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unl
I don't think this has anything to do with the relocation bracket. Did you upgrade the bump stops? I did...and mine is damn snug and only moves when i hit a dip in the road or a big bump. Other than that it doesn't move.
I used the bump stops that came with it. However I still have about a 5” gap between the stops and the tire.
Sponsored