Sponsored

Rough country 2.5 lift pics / reviews

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Hey all!

Question - I have the RC 2.5" spacer lift kit here - and a 1.5" wheels spacer kit - and happened to get talking to a local (best known) service shop and he said to me he is against the kit as without lower control arms the result isn't worth it - and then the toe can be done after but the castor not so much for alignment etc.

I thought this would be perfect as there are a few spots on FSR I drive that I 'just' scrape my muffler.

Everyone here seems to install this and not have to worry too much about anything else after. I'm new to this, and this fellow's shop is 4.9 on google reviews and is 'the' place to go for upgrades and service where I live - so... Just looking for quick input on this...

Thanks, I'm new please be gentle :CWL:
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all!

Question - I have the RC 2.5" spacer lift kit here - and a 1.5" wheels spacer kit - and happened to get talking to a local (best known) service shop and he said to me he is against the kit as without lower control arms the result isn't worth it - and then the toe can be done after but the castor not so much for alignment etc.

I thought this would be perfect as there are a few spots on FSR I drive that I 'just' scrape my muffler.

Everyone here seems to install this and not have to worry too much about anything else after. I'm new to this, and this fellow's shop is 4.9 on google reviews and is 'the' place to go for upgrades and service where I live - so... Just looking for quick input on this...

It sounds like your shop just likes doing things the right way, and get the Jeep to drive as good or better after lifting. If I do a lift 2.5” or higher I recommend to the customer to get adjustable track bar, rear relocation bracket, and lower adjustable front lcas or geometry brackets at the very least.

At 2.5” is enough height to make your axle off center by approximately 1/2” and will reduce your caster enough that it may wander a bit more. Now to some, this isn’t a big deal, or they’re rig already wanders and they can’t tell the difference, or frankly, they just don’t give a shit, lol.

It’s not a huge difference, but it’s a noticeable one and if you were able to drive it both ways back to back, I think you would be able to tell the difference.

I’m not sure this is why your shop is telling you this , it’s just me guessing, but if you came to me to lift your Jeep, this is what I’d tell you. And it sounds like a good shop.

This of course is just my .02 and opinions vary. ...... Good luck brother.........:)

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
It sounds like your shop just likes doing things the right way, and get the Jeep to drive as good or better after lifting. If I do a lift 2.5” or higher I recommend to the customer to get adjustable track bar, rear relocation bracket, and lower adjustable front lcas or geometry brackets at the very least.

At 2.5” is enough height to make your axle off center by approximately 1/2” and will reduce your caster enough that it may wander a bit more. Now to some, this isn’t a big deal, or they’re rig already wanders and they can’t tell the difference, or frankly, they just don’t give a shit, lol.

It’s not a huge difference, but it’s a noticeable one and if you were able to drive it both ways back to back, I think you would be able to tell the difference.

I’m not sure this is why your shop is telling you this , it’s just me guessing, but if you came to me to lift your Jeep, this is what I’d tell you. And it sounds like a good shop.

This of course is just my .02 and opinions vary. ...... Good luck brother.........:)
Thank you!

This is excellent info because it's essentially everything he said to me - but typed out so I can follow along better!

Thanks for taking the time - hugely helpful :please:

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ, 2020 JLU Sahara Altitude(sold), 2023 JLUR
I am looking at this kit also but the 1/2” axle offset after the lift is a bit of a concern. Also, I do not want the back sitting lower than the front as mentioned by many on this thread.

Does the track bar relocation bracket help with the offset? Just trying to wrap my head around all of the opinions. Also, I am maybe suffering from paralysis due to analysis!!

Last edited:

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 2.0L
RC 2.5" Spacer Kit w/factory shocks. 35 x 12.5" Falken AT3's on 17x9 XD798 ADDICTs.

Had the lift installed a day after getting the steering box TSB work done so after the lift it still felt better than with the old steering box! A bit stiffer due to the tires but overall very similar to stock. Just in time for the snow! :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough country 2.5 lift pics / reviews IMG_3902

Sponsored

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention - WARNING FOR CANADIANS ordering from Rough Country: The lift showed up in about a week - which was awesome. Two weeks later the invoice from Fedex showed up for an additional $95ish in duty, fees, taxes. I'm not sure if any Canadian online stores carry these RC lifts but I suggest checking that out to avoid the extra fees if you can.

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention - WARNING FOR CANADIANS ordering from Rough Country: The lift showed up in about a week - which was awesome. Two weeks later the invoice from Fedex showed up for an additional $95ish in duty, fees, taxes. I'm not sure if any Canadian online stores carry these RC lifts but I suggest checking that out to avoid the extra fees if you can.
Northridge has them available in Alberta. Still wondering if I should pull the trigger on this

Last edited:

boontis

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Northridge has them available in Alberta. Still wondering if I should pull the trigger on this
FML - I could have gotten the N3 shocks with my kit from Northridge for the same price I paid direct from RC sans shocks! Don't know how I missed Northridge's site when I was looking? Dammit!

306overland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FML - I could have gotten the N3 shocks with my kit from Northridge for the same price I paid direct from RC sans shocks! Don't know how I missed Northridge's site when I was looking? Dammit!
I know the feeling! We get so raped with stuff coming from the USA. By the time we pay exchange and freight and duty many things just become cost prohibitive!

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
RC 2.5” spacer lift
35x12.5x17 black rhino Barstow 17x9.5
Quadratec 8.0 shocks for 0-2.5” of lift
Nice look! How are you liking the Toyo AT2s?
Think the AT3s in a 35x11.5 is my next set :)

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Hey all!

I'm currently on a RC spacer lift with 33s (jlus, had it for the past 2 years). I did nothing for the caster. Drives fine, probably not as good as stock, but it looks better! It's a temporary budget lift nothing more really imo. I've grown tried of some of the noises that it produces. Also I don't like seeing the spacer sitting at the top of the spring perch. I'm planning on getting a metal cloak 2.5 inch lift in the very near future because I want peace of mind with the suspension.

If you are just looking for a budget lift to look better while you save for something better I say do it! If you are looking for something long term and money isn't a hindrance, don't even consider it. Like has been mentioned a lift should at least consider caster and track bar length.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Nice look! How are you liking the Toyo AT2s?
Think the AT3s in a 35x11.5 is my next set :)
Love the toyos. This is also my dd and tires are quiet and dont have the rough ride that e rated tires normally do. That pic was from a couple weeks ago and it was the first time I got to do some serious wheeling with the tires. They were flawless for the trails I run which are at most rated blue. I highly recommend them you won’t be disappointed. Thanks for the compliment.

Narb16

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl 80 anniversary
I have a questions. Im extremely new to suspension. I just purchased this lift from a. Fellow member. I also have metal cloak springs 2.5. instead of using the spacers can I use the springs and make it a suspensions lift. Or it’s doesn’t work that way? I have a eco diesel. I’m trying to run 37s

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have a questions. Im extremely new to suspension. I just purchased this lift from a. Fellow member. I also have metal cloak springs 2.5. instead of using the spacers can I use the springs and make it a suspensions lift. Or it’s doesn’t work that way? I have a eco diesel. I’m trying to run 37s
You can do it, I’m just not sure how the factory shocks on extensions will pair with MC springs. Also the 2.5” springs are most likely gonna lift you more than that, which brings in geometry corrections that’ll need to be addressed.
Sponsored