Sponsored

Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift on JLUR, Any Regrets?

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 2019 JLUR
Who has this Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift on a Rubicon? Are you happy with ,it? How long have you had it? Would you do it again?

I'm mostly stock right now. The front has been lowered slightly from a bumper and winch. It is a daily driver with occasional off-roading, so I need to maintain drivability. This weekend I got high centered and drug rocks on step bars and cross members more than I would have liked.

I plan on keeping my 33s until they wear out then upgrade to 35s. I'm considering the Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift and I have a few concerns.

1. How will the ride be affected?
2. Will the 33s look stupid under the big Rubicon fenders and a 2.5 inch lift?
3. Is the quality of the sway bar links sub-standard?
Sponsored

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I had it on a Sport for a while. Wheeled it pretty hard and never had a problem. Ride wasn't noticeably affected. 33's will probably look pretty dumb. They looked dumb on my Sport once I increased the lift to 3.5 inches. The quality of the sway bar links IS sub-standard. If I had kept the spacer lift, I would have upgraded the links for sure.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I had them on my Rubicon for a short while. 33's will definitely look small I thought my 35's looked a tad small with it. You did't mention off-roading plans but I used them off-road on blues and blacks and it performed well. If you get the shock relocation brackets the ride will change little to none.

This was with 35's

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift on JLUR, Any Regrets? 2.5 lift 2

This was with 37's

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift on JLUR, Any Regrets? 37's 4

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had them on my Rubicon for a short while. 33's will definitely look small I thought my 35's looked a tad small with it. You did't mention off-roading plans but I used them off-road on blues and blacks and it performed well. If you get the shock relocation brackets the ride will change little to none.

This was with 35's

Jeep Wrangler JL Rough Country 2.5 inch spacer lift on JLUR, Any Regrets? 37's 4

This was with 37's

I think I'll just stick to lighter wheeling for now and wait until I wear out the 33s.

The 35s look good to me, the 37s look Beefy. Did you re-gear for the 37s or are you still running 4.10s?

OP
OP
mschlott

mschlott

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had it on a Sport for a while. Wheeled it pretty hard and never had a problem. Ride wasn't noticeably affected. 33's will probably look pretty dumb. They looked dumb on my Sport once I increased the lift to 3.5 inches. The quality of the sway bar links IS sub-standard. If I had kept the spacer lift, I would have upgraded the links for sure.
I wish I could find a decent 1.5 to 2 inch spacer lift with shock relocation brackets and good sway bar links all in one package. Maybe by the time I pull the trigger, there will be one.

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I think I'll just stick to lighter wheeling for now and wait until I wear out the 33s.

The 35s look good to me, the 37s look Beefy. Did you re-gear for the 37s or are you still running 4.10s?
I'm still running the 4.10's and not really sure I will re-gear. I won't lie I lost 8th gear on the highway, but around town and on the trails it still has enough power.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I wish I could find a decent 1.5 to 2 inch spacer lift with shock relocation brackets and good sway bar links all in one package. Maybe by the time I pull the trigger, there will be one.
I wouldn't say the sway bar links that came with the rough county kit were any worse than your oem sway bar links.

jw112

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I talked to 2 shops today about this kit. One shop who specializes in only jeeps said "I highly recommend doing an adjustable track bar with that kit or your alignment will be way off."

The other shop said it is not needed. (regular old 4x4 shop)

What do you guys think? also, I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to 2 shops today about this kit. One shop who specializes in only jeeps said "I highly recommend doing an adjustable track bar with that kit or your alignment will be way off."

The other shop said it is not needed. (regular old 4x4 shop)

What do you guys think? also, I'm not going to be doing any serious off-roading.
With a 2.5” lift your front axle will be shifted to drivers side about a 1/2”. This what shop number one is talking about. Your rig will work ok with only the lift as is, but it will drive and handle better if you square it up and stretch it out a bit.

jw112

First Name
jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
With a 2.5” lift your front axle will be shifted to drivers side about a 1/2”. This what shop number one is talking about. Your rig will work ok with only the lift as is, but it will drive and handle better if you square it up and stretch it out a bit.
thank you!

Sponsored

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
This is exactly what happened with mine. It pulled the axle to the drivers side 1/2” inch making the drivers side stick out 1” further than the passenger side. That is easily noticeable without having to measure it.

I want to add that on a rubicon, I personally believed that with 2.5” spacer lift an adjustable front track bar is a must because the Rubicon already has low caster at about 4.7 degree.

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Im running the spacers on my JLUR with the stock tires. I have zero regrets. Ride is the same and I have had no issues on or off road. I didnt mess with any alignment. I am happy with the extra clearance off road and I think it looks better sitting higher up. Plus I am ready for 37s now. I will eventually get a more complete lift system though.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
No reason for regret. They are steel spacers and a few other bits. It’s cheap and does the job. Don’t be afraid of it being cheap. Most people never have the need for an expensive lift kit.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
This is exactly what happened with mine. It pulled the axle to the drivers side 1/2” inch making the drivers side stick out 1” further than the passenger side. That is easily noticeable without having to measure it.

I want to add that on a rubicon, I personally believed that with 2.5” spacer lift an adjustable front track bar is a must because the Rubicon already has low caster at about 4.7 degree.
The track bar won't help with caster, you need adjustable LCAs for that. Really any amount of lift on a Rubicon requires adjustable LCAs in my book or your highway handling will suffer significantly.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The track bar won't help with caster, you need adjustable LCAs for that. Really any amount of lift on a Rubicon requires adjustable LCAs in my book or your highway handling will suffer significantly.
Oops I meant to say adjustable front track bar and adjustable lower control arms
Sponsored