Rough Country $159 Seat Covers Review with Pics

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
For the last 30 years all cars I have had were leather, when I purchased my Sahara I was not impressed with the factory leather so I purchased with the Sahara cloth and planned to eventually order Katskinz leather seat covers. It took about 1 hour of driving with the cloth seats that I was sold on the cloth and then decided I did not want leather, my wife loves the warmth of the cloth in the winter as well. Main reason wanting cloth also was comfort and having dual top I am glad I do not have leather with the soft top in the summer, no hot seats and no sweating during longer drives.

However after a few back-country trips 100 miles of dirt roads with the wife and dog with dirty paw prints every where I decided to try the Rough Country Seat Covers I picked them up for $159. Even though I had 6 cans of Scotch guard on the cloth seats and they were just as easy as leather to clean I just wanted to preserve them.

I ordered the covers from Rough country about 2 months ago and threw then in the corner of the garage procrastinating the install. Anyway last week I got around to installing them:

Unboxing I was unsure if I would like them not sure how they would fit but for $159 I figured I would give it a shot. Install is very easy and Takes about 1.5-2 hours for all 4 seats.

Once I had the 1st seat done (drivers seat) I almost took it off just did grab me, more the color than anything else while they are Black it clashed with the black cloth seats making the single finished seat stick out and look odd. I kept going though and once I had them all installed it actually looked great, almost as good as the stock fabric just a little different as the Rough country seat covers are Black Neoprene.

The fit was fantastic just one slight wrinkle near the driver lumbar knob that was it otherwise it looked like a factory fit with just a slight give on the seat back which had gone a way with a few hours of driving.

For the price these are a huge WIN easy to clean (even remove and clean if you like) while protecting your stock seats. If I had Leather I would also put these on, at least for the summer with the soft top on/down.

One other minor byproduct is they do have add a little padding to the seats.

I am totally protected now I did a full 3M wrap on the paint and now the seats are protected. Best part is if they get ruined or looking old throw them away an replace with new for very little cost. I will probably go back to cloth when the hard top goes on. and I now have no desire to install leather I much prefer the comfort of the cloth. I also found the cloth keeps you from sliding in the seats on angles and rough terrain.

Seats%204_zpssb5v2ckr.jpg

seats%202_zpsybwuno4l.jpg

mirrors%204_zpsvkik7ier.jpg
Sponsored

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Looks good! I just ordered these last night. I already have Bartact covers for the front but just want some protection for the rear seats. The top is now off and i put the seats down to load up
for camping so some protection is nice to have. Glad you have a positive experience. Im gonna try and sell just tue from covers when I get them.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks for the review:like: I've currently got the neoprene Diver Down covers in my (hubby's) JKU and I was waiting for them to be available for the JL. I really like the neoprene feel and protection. This is now another item on my wish list:headbang:. Thanks again for the heads up and review:captain:

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Looks good! I just ordered these last night. I already have Bartact covers for the front but just want some protection for the rear seats. The top is now off and i put the seats down to load up
for camping so some protection is nice to have. Glad you have a positive experience. In gonna try and sell just true from covers when I get them.
You should have no problem selling them to a 2 door owner who does not use their back seats

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
can you provide link to covers. im only seeiing the JK ones on northridge4x4. thanks

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I have the RC on my 2 door... a lil loose in spots. The sides where airbags are is so tight I am not sure if its gonna allow airbags to work...

I wonder if other brands of covers are so tight, I am willing to bet its not good

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I installed my RC 4-door covers about a month ago, and I've grown to love them. Install wasn't too bad, although there isn't much room under the seats for your hands to secure the elastic straps. But that seemed to be the only thing I struggled with.

My wife really likes the cushioning and I definitely agree with her. They don't look cheap or feel cheap, but the price is cheap. So it seems like a win-win for me!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I'm looking at these too after I spent hours cleaning my seats after going off-road. I feel like it is going to be hard to keep the factory cloth looking good. The price is great and the reviews are all good.

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Great looking seat covers. Any idea if they come in RED or other colors?

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I looked at these, loved the price, I just wish RC would do color inserts.
any chance they will?
any RC reps on here lol...yo RC make color options dag nabbit.

OP
OP
lightsout

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Like I said my only complaint was a small wrinkle at the lumbar knob I am going to remove the knob today and see if I can work that out and then put the knob back on. At this low cost I could see replacing them every year or two to preserve the stock seats.

I want to make note the covers look great and feel great but they are somewhat utilitarian to some degree. If I had one suggestion to RC would be to add a closure mechanism (velcro or snap) to the pocket on the back of the front seats to prevent them from hanging semi open.

Tfom

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thank you for the review. Been looking for something reasonable to protect seats as we have a baby. Other prices seemed to high for what I want. I second the desire for color inserts, but I've got a couple months before he starts eating real food and making a mess back there.

One question, I'm assuming these are rated for the side air bags?
Sponsored