1. andwew

andwew Member

First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle(s):
    Toyota Tacoma 98
    Liked:
    Hi EVERYBODY!

I went on 1,000 mile overlanding trip and unbeknownst to me my rotopax fuel tank was rubbing up against the paint on my back door. All those miles it rubbed through the paint down to the metal. I'm super bummed and disappointed in myself for not noticing. Be careful with those rotopax rubbing against your paint!!! - they show no mercy.

My question: Now that the metal is exposed and I have a big hole\dent\scratch what can I do to fix this? Not only cosmetically but prevent rust? Corrosion? And the aluminum exposure to the air?

Here are some pics:
    ayePV6H.jpg
    fpzI3pa.jpg
    uSZndGP.jpg

2. yardsale

yardsale Member

Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR
    Liked:
    I would just put a piece of black foam or some kind or rubber over the mark to cover it and act as a buffer. And put the gas can back on. The aluminum is probably fine left as is.

andwew likes this.
  3. Dkretden

Dkretden Well-Known Member

First Name:
    David
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 JLUR 3.6L
    Liked:
    WHOA! Thanks for posting this! I was looking at the same strap mount that you have on your tire..... looks like if I buy it, I need to be careful with the rotopax placement!

sorry for this happening to you but your post many really have helped may others!

andwew likes this.
  4. BrntWS6

BrntWS6 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
    Liked:
    They sell mopar paint pens on amazon. Dent would have to be pulled, probably coat you $150 or so.

5. DadJokes

DadJokes Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle(s):
    Sahara
    Liked:
    #5 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    If it’s dented, maybe a paintless dent repair is possible? Then prime and touch up. I think some local automotive paint stores can mix up small quantities and also put it in a spray can/air brush.

If it’s gouged from abrasion, I’m thinking that would need some glaze body filler, prepwork, and paint. That sucks.

6. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford Well-Known Member
    Rock Sponsor (Level 1)

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    JLUR-6speed JLUR-8 speed, F350
    Liked:
    The tailgate is magnesium. I would get a can of touch up paint or take it to a body shop and see what they recommend. Since it’ll be covered by the rotopax hopefully they can air brush it or make it a relatively simple repair

Brett