andwew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma 98
Hi EVERYBODY!

I went on 1,000 mile overlanding trip and unbeknownst to me my rotopax fuel tank was rubbing up against the paint on my back door. All those miles it rubbed through the paint down to the metal. I'm super bummed and disappointed in myself for not noticing. Be careful with those rotopax rubbing against your paint!!! - they show no mercy.

My question: Now that the metal is exposed and I have a big hole\dent\scratch what can I do to fix this? Not only cosmetically but prevent rust? Corrosion? And the aluminum exposure to the air?

Here are some pics:
ayePV6H.jpg

fpzI3pa.jpg

uSZndGP.jpg
Sponsored

yardsale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would just put a piece of black foam or some kind or rubber over the mark to cover it and act as a buffer. And put the gas can back on. The aluminum is probably fine left as is.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
WHOA! Thanks for posting this! I was looking at the same strap mount that you have on your tire..... looks like if I buy it, I need to be careful with the rotopax placement!

sorry for this happening to you but your post many really have helped may others!

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
They sell mopar paint pens on amazon. Dent would have to be pulled, probably coat you $150 or so.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
If it’s dented, maybe a paintless dent repair is possible? Then prime and touch up. I think some local automotive paint stores can mix up small quantities and also put it in a spray can/air brush.

If it’s gouged from abrasion, I’m thinking that would need some glaze body filler, prepwork, and paint. That sucks.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
The tailgate is magnesium. I would get a can of touch up paint or take it to a body shop and see what they recommend. Since it’ll be covered by the rotopax hopefully they can air brush it or make it a relatively simple repair

Brett
Sponsored