Rotax mount location for spare tire

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I am having a pretty trick plate cut on a waterjet that will allow me to mount a 3-1/2 gallon Rotax gas can to spare tire while allowing the back up camera to remain fully operational. Pictures to follow soon. I can then have more cut at a cheaper price if anyone likes the finish product.
Will post pictures soon
Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I am having a pretty trick plate cut on a waterjet that will allow me to mount a 3-1/2 gallon Rotax gas can to spare tire while allowing the back up camera to remain fully operational. Pictures to follow soon. I can then have more cut at a cheaper price if anyone likes the finish product.
Will post pictures soon
I'm very interested as well, on my JK i used the spare tire mount and/or the MORryde tail gate hinge mounts for my rotopax cans and have been looking for solutions for the JL.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Brought the sample piece home. Had to install it and place the can mount while in place before we cut the actual piece. All is going as planned. The pictures I've added are of sample only, but this is the planned location.
The rear view camera is not blocked. I can see a thin red border along the top edge of screen.
More to follow........
20180728_064329.jpg
First I removed the camera cover and replaced the three lug nuts with 14mm open ended tuning lugs
20180728_064343.jpg
close up of step 1
20180728_072530.jpg
added sample plate to then position the rotopax mount
20180728_082915.jpg
don't know how I did it, but forgot to take a picture of the mount after I put it on plate. So this is the shot of the can on the mount.
I will know what the cost of the finish mounting plate after it gets cut if you're interested.
Project ongoing, completed pictures to follow.
Vic

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Brought the sample piece home. Had to install it and place the can mount while in place before we cut the actual piece. All is going as planned. The pictures I've added are of sample only, but this is the planned location.
The rear view camera is not blocked. I can see a thin red border along the top edge of screen.
More to follow........
20180728_064329.jpg
First I removed the camera cover and replaced the three lug nuts with 14mm open ended tuning lugs
20180728_064343.jpg
close up of step 1
20180728_072530.jpg
added sample plate to then position the rotopax mount
20180728_082915.jpg
don't know how I did it, but forgot to take a picture of the mount after I put it on plate. So this is the shot of the can on the mount.
I will know what the cost of the finish mounting plate after it gets cut if you're interested.
Project ongoing, completed pictures to follow.
Vic
Good idea! Interested in how it turns out...

Sponsored

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
I'm very interested.

I have a couple of the 2 gallon packs though, will it work with that configuration?

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I'm very interested.

I have a couple of the 2 gallon packs though, will it work with that configuration?
The plate I am having made will accept the ropax mount. The plate, the three open ended lugs and three bolts to mount to tire would be all I would pass on. It will have the holes put in it for the ropax mount that you choose.

BSw

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - 2015 Ford Mustang - 2018 Volvo S90

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
What's the material & thickness of the plate you are using? Curious how much weight it will hold without flexing/deforming...

Sponsored

KDB

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JLR
Vehicle Showcase
What's the material & thickness of the plate you are using? Curious how much weight it will hold without flexing/deforming...
Likewise, wonder how much added weight the tailgate and spare tire mount is designed to hold? 3.5 gallons of gas is approximately 28 pounds so wondering at what point too much stress is being added to the mount and actual tail gate?
Very cool design and am interested as well

Last edited:

JayInNC

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Likewise, wonder how much added weight the tailgate and spare tire mount is designed to hold? 3.5 gallons of gas is approximately 28 pounds so wondering at what point too much stress is being added the mount and actual tail gate?
Very cool design and am interested as well
If it can handle the weight, it'd also be cool to extend the plate down further to also mount a hi-lift horizontally below the camera. Smart idea regardless...best & simplest I've seen so far without spending a ton of $$.

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I am using 3/8" plate steel. The can will be empty or better yet, not in place most of the time. This will be for trips going in. I have even considered putting a custom hitch type spare tire support and lashing a second can right over this one. My first trip over the Mojave Road got me wanting extra gas.

Lustmord

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lustmord.com
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JLU. It's a Jeep.
I'm also looking for a Hi-lift mount if that's something you're considering. The 48" version is about 30 pounds though and probably better suited at the hinges or off the door because of the extra weight.

We've only done part of the Mojave Road because of the fuel concern and also the water fording at the western end. The Rubicon in transit will fix the later :)

OP
OP
Blu bi Kong

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I'm also looking for a Hi-lift mount if that's something you're considering. The 48" version is about 30 pounds though and probably better suited at the hinges or off the door because of the extra weight.

We've only done part of the Mojave Road because of the fuel concern and also the water fording at the western end. The Rubicon in transit will fix the later :)

We went from Baker to Laughlin and then decided we wanted to go back the other way. Afton water crossing was at every bit of 30". All went well.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A8xwRr6LHJj2sQ6k6
Sponsored