Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so this noise started yesterday. I hear a thumping type noise from under vehicle at slow speed 1st or 2nd gear when coasting say 8-15 mph( approaching stop, or coasting through shopping center) almost sounds like when driving over small bump reflectors in the road but I’m not. Checked underwear Jeep and only thing I found with play is the tie rod, is that normal? I doubt that’s what it is, seems more like from mid or rear of vehicle, my suspicion is rear end or driveline. Anyone experiencing this or have any ideas? I’ll try and get into the dealer ASAP because I’m also dealing with the loose ball joint clicking turning at slow speed. TIA
Sponsored

Messup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I had something similar to what you have. Clicking or popping at slow speeds when the driveline wasn't under tension. The noise was always in time with the rotation of the tires. The solution was a new rear axle assembly. Good luck!

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I had something similar to what you have. Clicking or popping at slow speeds when the driveline wasn't under tension. The noise was always in time with the rotation of the tires. The solution was a new rear axle assembly. Good luck!
Wow! How many miles, I assume all is good after replacement? Thanks for the info!

Messup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
I first noticed it at around 3k miles and drove it an additional 2k before getting it fixed due to a 6 week backorder. The noise will get louder and more consistent with time. I haven't gotten it back yet but I did a test drive and it seemed to be resolved.

Land1405

First Name
Thomas Steffens
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Mine started doing this at about 2500 miles on it and still doing. If you figure out the issue let me know. It's been driving me crazy.

Sponsored

Messup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU
Got my Jeep back and can confirm the rear axle assembly replacement fixed the problem.

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
It might just be a rock stuck in the tire tred.

JLClt

First Name
Smolniy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M240i
Got my Jeep back and can confirm the rear axle assembly replacement fixed the problem.
A whole new axle on a new vehicle with 3k mi? How did it pass QC? How did it make out of the factory?

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
It might just be a rock stuck in the tire tred.
Definitely not a rock, it’s a deep thud thump sound and you can feel it too, nothing like the sound of a rock in the tread. I’ll try and get it to the dealer soon, unfortunately they’ll need it for a few days it seems with the list of concerns I have.

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I’m also experiencing this with the 2” mopar lift and 35s.... this is not going to be fun....

Sponsored

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked mine back up from dealer yesterday, mine only does it when on declaration. Open case with Jeep, dealer ordered new ring and pinion for rear differential, not sure that’s gonna fix it. Guess we’ll see. Parts are on backorder so I’m still driving it.

Surfman311

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Another Wrangler making the thumping sound. At the 3K mile mark, I replaced my stock wheels/tires/suspension with Skyjacker 1-1.5” suspension lift, 17” Moto Metal M0993 Hydra wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70R17 tires. After another 2K miles I also started getting the annoying thumping coming from the rear end. It was at the dealership service shop for just over a week and they told me that is not a warranty issue. It was my wheels making things out of alignment. They came to this conclusion from putting stock wheels and tires back on and the noise went away. I am pulling my hair out with this! Has Jeep really gotten to a point that we can’t even run aftermarket wheels without hurting something?

Please any advice will be appreciated.

Gaxmode

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Another Wrangler making the thumping sound. At the 3K mile mark, I replaced my stock wheels/tires/suspension with Skyjacker 1-1.5” suspension lift, 17” Moto Metal M0993 Hydra wheels and Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/70R17 tires. After another 2K miles I also started getting the annoying thumping coming from the rear end. It was at the dealership service shop for just over a week and they told me that is not a warranty issue. It was my wheels making things out of alignment. They came to this conclusion from putting stock wheels and tires back on and the noise went away. I am pulling my hair out with this! Has Jeep really gotten to a point that we can’t even run aftermarket wheels without hurting something?

Please any advice will be appreciated.
Find another dealer. Did you get Jeep cares involved? They are well aware of this issue.

Surfman311

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport Unlimited
Find another dealer. Did you get Jeep cares involved? They are well aware of this issue.
Thank you Gaxmode. I have not yet got them involved. That is my next step, I suppose.