Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I posted this in my local Jeep club's FB group and just got one smartass reply, so trying here.

2021 Sahara Altitude sitting on 33" Rubicon take-off KO2s. Rotated my tires this weekend - 5 wheel rotation - and now my rear backup sensors go nuts when I'm in reverse. Specifically, the two driver-side "blocks" on the animation in the dash. Flashing red and the audible alert is just solid until I shift into drive. Nothing around, obviously.

I've tried cleaning the sensors, wiped off the camera (I know it doesn't factor, but figured why not?) and still getting it. My previous spare was aired to about 29 psi cold when I put it on, whereas I keep the rest at 33 psi cold - would that make a difference to the sensors? Surely not.

Any other suggestions? Can I somehow reset the sensors?
Sponsored

Dusty Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ply Roadrunner, 2010 Challenger SRT
Try rotating your spare so the TPMS sensor is in a different location and see if that helps…

Edit: Clarification: Looking at your mounted spare on the tailgate. If your TPMS sensor is at an 8 o’clock orientation, rotate the spare so the TPMS sensor is at a 12 o’clock position.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Try rotating your spare so the TPMS sensor is in a different location and see if that helps…
Interesting - would the TMPS sensor be potentially conflicting with the backup sensor? I did mount the spare in the same way as the previous tire was mounted (air valve pointing up)

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

What worked for me when I upgraded to 35s ... put some clear packing tape on the underside tread of the spare just above and away from the bumper. I used 12 inches and that cleared the alarms. YMMV.

Dusty Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Ply Roadrunner, 2010 Challenger SRT
Interesting - would the TMPS sensor be potentially conflicting with the backup sensor? I did mount the spare in the same way as the previous tire was mounted (air valve pointing up)
I thought I had read that here somewhere previously.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
I was always under the impression that the TPMS sensors go to “sleep” after a period of inactivity, in order to conserve battery life. They then only awaken when rotation is detected. Trying to connect how a spare tire on the rear carrier can become conflicted with the backup sensors……

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Sounds crazy, but rotating the spare on the carrier fixed the same problem for me. A few people here reported a similar problem. In my case, having the valve stem at 6 o'clock position was the solution, if I recall correctly. I have no idea if it was related to TPMS, but it worked.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
I had to rotate my new 35’s. Luckily only had to make one change and test run before everything got quiet again. Really gonna hate the next 5 tire rotation if I have to deal with the alarm again.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
How many smartass replies were you hoping to get? I agree that FB groups are usually more productive in that quest.

I keep the valve stem at the 12 o’clock position. Not only does it minimize any interference with the backup sensors, It keeps water and debris from collecting around the valve stem.

Sponsored

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I was always under the impression that the TPMS sensors go to “sleep” after a period of inactivity, in order to conserve battery life. They then only awaken when rotation is detected. Trying to connect how a spare tire on the rear carrier can become conflicted with the backup sensors……
The actual TPMS sensor is only 1/2 of the system. There is a module calling out to it for information. They still communicate causing interface, but until rotation fully awakens the sensor, no information is shared... just a thought.

Last edited:

Bayrat

First Name
DA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392
Good information. I did not realize this mattered, as I don't rotate the spare.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Waiting to hear the results......

HK1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 2dr sport 3.6etorq AT
I recently rotated tires and I put the stem at 6 o clock position. all sensors backup and blind spot works fine.
Sponsored