Root cause rear pinion blew up

Jeepjayjeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICON UNLIMITED RECON SPECIAL EDITION
Hi, I just had my ring and pinion changed by a shop seven months ago, witching two weeks I noticed rear pinion seal leak. Took it in and they changed the seal. Six months later my pinion blew! The shop can’t find out the root cause. I broke the gears in. My question is is there a crush sleeve on the 2020 JLUR? I did my gears on my tj years ago with an experienced person. I remember him saying once you crush it once, you need a new one??? I’m thinking when they replaced the seal, no new crush sleeve? Am I on the right track? Just want to find out the root cause to No have it happen again. Thanks in advance.

280B8D49-1B8D-4668-8046-EA0813022AC1.jpeg
Sponsored

mferrara91

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
This post probably belongs in the regular forum and not the member marketplace...

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Hi, I just had my ring and pinion changed by a shop seven months ago, witching two weeks I noticed rear pinion seal leak. Took it in and they changed the seal. Six months later my pinion blew! The shop can’t find out the root cause. I broke the gears in. My question is is there a crush sleeve on the 2020 JLUR? I did my gears on my tj years ago with an experienced person. I remember him saying once you crush it once, you need a new one??? I’m thinking when they replaced the seal, no new crush sleeve? Am I on the right track? Just want to find out the root cause to No have it happen again. Thanks in advance.

280B8D49-1B8D-4668-8046-EA0813022AC1.jpeg
A leaking pinion seal after a gear change can happen and it happens often. This is normally because either the installer didn't use any RTV on top of the sealant that comes on the seal. (it sucks and is never enough)

OR

The seal is pushed out ever so slightly when trying to install the pinion and it goes unnoticed. This is very common.

A new crush sleeve is NOT required when changing the seal.

Looking at the wear pattern in the picture, these gears were set-up very wrong to begin with. Them breaking is not a surprise to me at all.

I should ask: What were you doing when they broke?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepjayjeep

Jeepjayjeep

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JEEP RUBICON UNLIMITED RECON SPECIAL EDITION
A leaking pinion seal after a gear change can happen and it happens often. This is normally because either the installer didn't use any RTV on top of the sealant that comes on the seal. (it sucks and is never enough)

OR

The seal is pushed out ever so slightly when trying to install the pinion and it goes unnoticed. This is very common.

A new crush sleeve is NOT required when changing the seal.

Looking at the wear pattern in the picture, these gears were set-up very wrong to begin with. Them breaking is not a surprise to me at all.

I should ask: What were you doing when they broke?
That’s for your response, helps a little and I was just driving

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Unfortunately, too much time has passed to do anything with the shop. Maybe you can get a parts defect claim and at least get the ring and pinion replaced, but there’s no way around paying the labor again. If you were in NC, I’d do it for free. Just get this out of your hair.

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Also, whoever is going to rebuild this, make sure they clean and flush the tubes and clean/inspect the axle shaft bearings. The housing will need to be completely cleaned before re-assembly.

If it were mine, I’d take the spiders out, as well. Basically, everything comes apart and gets cleaned. No exceptions.