Sponsored

Rookie Trails in TX?

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Hey guys! We’ll my new Rubicon is due in soon and I’m anxious to start learning about it and hopefully about off-roading too.

I’ll start by saying I know nothing about off roading, or wheeling. I mean I know nothing! Zero. :blush:Probably can get it into 4 hi or 4 low…. But that’s about it.

What beginner level trails should I look for? Anything around DFW? Any other books or YouTube videos that I could use for some ‘training?’

I was reading about Hidden Falls near Austin, but it looked pretty technical and aggressive! Probably too difficult for me, but maybe after a little experience with the basics.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Vanburi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 'Mojito' JLR
You need to find one of the many metro are jeep clubs to hook up with. They can help you learn more in an hour than you can alone in a day.
Also, hidden falls has plenty of easy trails just, not much posted online...

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Bridgeport has a good variety of terrain and isn’t too far. I have only been once, but I believe all their trails are color coded base on difficulty so you don’t get yourself in over your head. My biggest piece of advice is stay out of the mud!

There are a bunch of Jeep clubs in Texas such as North Texas Jeep Club and Lone Star Jeep Club that both put on events for beginners to teach people how to use their Jeeps. I am in both Facebook groups, but I don’t think they have anything on the schedule for a while.

Also, I’m always down to wheeling and happy to help you learn! Aside from bringing a friend, you will probably want to invest in a snatch strap (they stretch) for recovery at the very least.

This forum has a plethora of information so don’t be afraid to ask questions!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I’d suggest Bridgeport OHV because it’s close to you and has everything from dirt roads to more challenging stuff. And getting it into 4WD low might be more of a challenge than you think, especially when it’s brand new.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Another vote for Bridgeport and Hidden Falls. You will be amazed at how capable your Jeep is stock. It will definitely be able to do tougher trails than you have experience for. There are many trails at both parks that are not high level crazy stuff. When I take beginners out at Hidden Falls I usually take them up North Peak to pole line and back to the main staging area. It's a decent circle with bypasses for the really hairy stuff.

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
When do you think you'll be getting your new Jeep?

OP
OP
Buster1

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Next few weeks I’m being told!!! Then gotta pick it up from Mark Dodge in Louisiana!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Awesome! Chocholate Thunder was right, the transfer case can be a bit testy when you first get it. Find a gravel road or parking lot and spend some time figuring that out. Then put up a thread when you're ready to go hit a park. : ) Oh and pics! must share pics!

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Bridgeport and Barnwell are both not far from DFW. Might suggest looking into DFW Jeep clubs and joining one or two on their runs.
Sponsored