Sponsored

Rookie suspension question

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have a Sport. So far I’ve missed it by adding bumpers, winch, lights, and Moab wheels and tires. I plan to go up to true 33s on the tires. I’m not looking to change the wheels. Somebody gave me some good advice on potential rubbing in another thread for the size tires I want.

I have the takeoff suspension from the Moab (which I understand to be the same as a Rubicon suspension). Before I install it I’m wondering if I should look at aftermarket suspension instead.

Here is my use case:

1) Beach driving
2) Rough unpaved roads which have some deeper potholes and ruts and get pretty muddy in the rain (though not deep).
3) Off the grid camping although not very difficult trails (more like the NJ Pine Barrens which are sandy or trails in NY state which are not full of boulders).
4) No heavy rock crawling
5) Mostly street use
6) Snow in the winter

My Jeep has NOT suffered from any steering issues before or after V41. I’m looking to keep the crisp feel and and not add more lean in the turns, especially on pavement. I don’t mind more stiffness but I’d like to be able to go faster on the poor unpaved roads around here and have less of a jarring result.

I have no idea if what I’m looking for exists or if I’m asking to have my cake and eat it too. I’ve read some info from vendors like AEV which claim to do both.

Lastly, I park in a parking garage which has a lower height limit so I can’t lift too much. I’m trying to get specs from the garage but I think 2” or so would be fine (AEV’s Dual Sport suspension says 2.5” lift). I don’t know how much the added weight of the steel bumpers, winch, and lights have lowered it at all. The 33s will add a bit of height.

Any thoughts or advice for a rookie? Much appreciated.
Sponsored

scottybue

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Freedom Edition
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of Rubicon suspension swaps on here. The general consensus (I presume you have an Unlimited) is roughly a 1.5” lift, slightly rougher ride, but smoother over bumps/potholes.

Concerning the steering, you’re going to want the Mopar lift kit lower control arms (LCAs) to bring you caster back to OE Sport spec. I personally did this after I added Teraflex spring spacers and Bilsteins, and it brought the steering back to OEM feel. Without the extended LCAs, you’re going to notice the handling is a bit more ponderous and “squirrelly.”

Do some searching on this forum and you’ll find all the resources and links you need to do it all yourself, and don’t forget an alignment after!

Good luck!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
There are a lot of Rubicon suspension swaps on here. The general consensus (I presume you have an Unlimited) is roughly a 1.5” lift, slightly rougher ride, but smoother over bumps/potholes.

Concerning the steering, you’re going to want the Mopar lift kit lower control arms (LCAs) to bring you caster back to OE Sport spec. I personally did this after I added Teraflex spring spacers and Bilsteins, and it brought the steering back to OEM feel. Without the extended LCAs, you’re going to notice the handling is a bit more ponderous and “squirrelly.”

Do some searching on this forum and you’ll find all the resources and links you need to do it all yourself, and don’t forget an alignment after!

Good luck!
What he said^^^
For your uses that you posted the Moab swap should be just fine. I run 295/70s which are just a bit taller than 33s at 33.25", no issues and the suspension handles great.
The springs/shocks allow for more suspension travel but aren't firmed up much, didn't take more than a day or two to get used to the difference as it's pretty subtle TBH.
And x2 on going w/ the longer Mopar LCAs, a must IMO.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Good luck!
Thank you! I should’ve been clear that I have a 2 door. From what I’ve read in other threads there shouldn’t be an issue with using the 4 door takeoff suspension on that...is that correct?

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What he said^^^
For your uses that you posted the Moab swap should be just fine. I run 295/70s which are just a bit taller than 33s at 33.25", no issues and the suspension handles great.
The springs/shocks allow for more suspension travel but aren't firmed up much, didn't take more than a day or two to get used to the difference as it's pretty subtle TBH.
And x2 on going w/ the longer Mopar LCAs, a must IMO.
Thanks, I too am planning to go with 295/70R17s.

Sponsored

scottybue

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Freedom Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! I should’ve been clear that I have a 2 door. From what I’ve read in other threads there shouldn’t be an issue with using the 4 door takeoff suspension on that...is that correct?
Shouldn’t be an issue. Just a slightly higher lift since you’re lighter. Blnewt basically did exactly what you’re wanting to do in this write up:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

I also took his advise on the SAE sized sockets for the LCAs and it worked out beautifully.

I’m also running 295/70R17s and love the look. At that size with OEM wheels, it’s not a bad idea to look into a spare tire relocator. Mine rubbed the bumper a bit.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shouldn’t be an issue. Just a slightly higher lift since you’re lighter. Blnewt basically did exactly what you’re wanting to do in this write up:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-suspension-on-2-door-sport.40700/

I also took his advise on the SAE sized sockets for the LCAs and it worked out beautifully.

I’m also running 295/70R17s and love the look. At that size with OEM wheels, it’s not a bad idea to look into a spare tire relocator. Mine rubbed the bumper a bit.
Thanks! I have an aftermarket rear bumper.
Sponsored