Rooftop Tent on Mopar/Thule Roof Rack

punkin_JL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I have a 2018 JLU with the Mopar/Thule root rack. I know the rack is rated for max 150lbs. My friend was up there helping me load kayaks and she weighs about 135. There was also a 15-or-so pound cargo basket (also Mopar/Thule) on the rack. She was standing on the roof (not my idea!) and it held up fine.

I’m wondering, with the load spread out between the four points of contact with the hard top, would a rooftop tent like the one below work with that rack?

I’m thinking that the dynamic (moving) loaf mustn’t exceed 150lbs but it seems like it can handle more than that weight when stationary.

https://www.rei.com/product/101916/tepui-tents-kukenam-sky-3-tent
Sponsored

imapseudonym

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Hella Yella Rubicon
I wouldn’t. You don’t have enough support with that rack system you’re using. Especially considering once you get up there maybe another person you’re up to 300+ pounds quickly. I bet you would damage something.

Look into getting a roof rack that ties into the roll cage, frame mounts, or body mounts. You need that extra support to carry the weight once people start getting up there

OP
OP

punkin_JL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
I wouldn’t. You don’t have enough support with that rack system you’re using. Especially considering once you get up there maybe another person you’re up to 300+ pounds quickly. I bet you would damage something.

Look into getting a roof rack that ties into the roll cage, frame mounts, or body mounts. You need that extra support to carry the weight once people start getting up there
I was thinking about building a custom platform that would sit on the rack and then adding some outrigger type supports. I’m trying to avoid drilling into the vehicle.

Thanks for your help!

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
If I were going to do that, I would find some dense, semi-rigid foam, like the stuff they make kayak cradles out of, and cut two long pieces which matched the contour of the hard top, running full-length on each side.
I’d cut them so they needed just a bit of compression to install the rack.
They would take most of the load off the gutters, and put it on the stiffest part of the roof, it seems to me.
I’d zip-tie them to the rack.

Last edited:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I was thinking about building a custom platform that would sit on the rack and then adding some outrigger type supports. I’m trying to avoid drilling into the vehicle.

Thanks for your help!
Towards this end Alex, in terms of suggesting components to effect this, do you happen to have a rear 2" hitch receiver? If not would you be willing to install one?

Sponsored

OP
OP

punkin_JL

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Towards this end Alex, in terms of suggesting components to effect this, do you happen to have a rear 2" hitch receiver? If not would you be willing to install one?
I do!

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I asked Alex because if you're looking to go lower budget DIY, perhaps one of these https://www.etrailer.com/Watersport-Carriers/Darby/DTA944-968-924.html and hardware drilled on top like this http://www.steel-tek.com/sites/551/uploaded/files/Double_Tab_Offset_Flange.pdf would allow you to run sturdy pipe with much weight barring being on the hitch, to make your platform....

just a thought. : - )

Make sure to tie down both sides of the former, and buy an anti-rattle hitch if you go this route.

Good luck.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks for your help!
Go for a Gobi Rack.

303rider

First Name
Soleil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same question. I would like to buy a hard shell rooftop tent which is about 200lbs. With my wife and I it would add 300lbs easy.

I feel like I have seen this done online.

Any thoughts?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

I just ordered the Maximus-3 roof rack system. Holds up to 900lbs static.. I will be added a roam RTT and a canopy as well. Added weight without people is 165 lbs total weight added to the Jeep is 210lbs with the rack.
Sponsored