Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler
I have reached out to get more info about the Maximus-3, since it looks like you can install the brackets and then use the rack with or without the hard top (meaning, it then seems you could use it with a soft top Jeep).

Any other roof racks that you're aware of that can be used with the soft top, that don't mount to a hard top? I'd like to run without a top for 6 - 9 months a year and would take the rack on and off depending on season/weather, but don't see mounts or brackets that work without a top. I'll mount a roof top tent if I can find the right soft top rack or mounts.

Ideas?
Our system works perfectly with soft-tops, hard-tops or topless. It's also fairly easy to remove should you want to install/remove your tops. Check it out here: https://adventureracksystems.com/jl-wrangler-4-door-pro-rack-system.html
Sponsored

OP
OP

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I appreciate the post, but that rack is for a four-door, and this thread is in the two-door specific forum.

Also, that rack is priced at least three-times what I would pay for that design. I realize you are in business to make money, but ~$2,000 for a skeletonized rack is really expensive. I hope you sell every one you make, but you won't sell one to me at that price.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
OP
OP

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. Now can you reduce the price by 70%?

Sponsored

Ferhdemerak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Jl rubicon 2021
OP
OP

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a KargoMaster on my XJ and felt the same way when I found out they had gone up so much in price. How do contractors with truck racks do it, wow.

Holokai2195

First Name
Sorin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2d Sport
OP
OP

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
A thread from the dead. Thanks for reviving this. I have an update.

There are bolt holes already where you need them; rear of where the door surrounds mount and in front of the sound bar (between the two). Additionally, you can use the rear bolts for the soft top tracks.

I purchased one 10-foot section of Superstrut; although, I purchased from Lowes, so it has a different name. You can use the "shorter" (not as tall) strut, but I used the 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" because it is stronger. I also used a .5" or .75" nylon washer in the front and a 1/8" or 1/4" nylon washer in the rear, under the struts to maybe protect the paint/metal of the Jeep.

I cut them 47" and 52" (front/rear) long, if I remember right. You need bolts for the front ones and use the stock bolts for the rear. You need fender washers too.

You now have two "cross bars". I then easily mounted my CVT awning and a Harbor Freight roof rack. $36 in Superstrut, about $8 in bolts and washers and $99 for the roof rack. All told, I'm in it for less than $150 and at those lengths it has a load rating of something ridiculous with minimal deflection.

I then took the $2,000 I saved going this route and put it into a mutual fund that earns me 6% a year, obviously reinvesting with compounding interest. So, my DIY earned me close to $10k over a 30 year period. What am I going to do with all of that money you might ask? Well, I'm going to Disneyland.

Last edited:

Aonar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Rubi and Snazzy 2021 JLURD

Sponsored

tumblingdown

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2dr Sport that wants to be a Rubi
Clubs

Noob here.

I'm thinking about a rack for my 2dr JL softy. Came across this review which shows the Gobi causing soft top rub and rear support denting the rear body panel

Has anyone else has similar issues with the Gobi (Stealth) rack?

Cheers.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I built mine for ~ $700 bucks for my 4 door.. now i am cutting smaller for my 2024 2 door.. it just 80-20 hardware and a couple brackets i fabed up from 3/16 SST.. if you dont have the cash DYI.. I can help..

WP_20190728_20_47_04_Rich_LI.jpg

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I built mine for ~ $700 bucks for my 4 door.. now i am cutting smaller for my 2024 2 door.. it just 80-20 hardware and a couple brackets i fabed up from 3/16 SST.. if you dont have the cash DYI.. I can help..

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof Racks - Soft Top WP_20190728_20_47_04_Rich_LI
IMG_0965.JPG

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
It really does defeat the purpose of a soft top to throw a roof rack on there. Especially if it's a more bulky permanent type of roof rack. At that rate you might as well just go ahead and purchase a hardtop and throw a rack on top of that.

I mean why the heck would you buy a soft top and then make it so you can't remove it? That defeats the whole purpose of owning a soft top.

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
It really does defeat the purpose of a soft top to throw a roof rack on there. Especially if it's a more bulky permanent type of roof rack. At that rate you might as well just go ahead and purchase a hardtop and throw a rack on top of that.

I mean why the heck would you buy a soft top and then make it so you can't remove it? That defeats the whole purpose of owning a soft top.
mine rotates on hinges so i can go full open top (rack still there to haul whatever) or remove it in minutes.. not that hard.. do not believe all the marketing...
Sponsored