First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I have reached out to get more info about the Maximus-3, since it looks like you can install the brackets and then use the rack with or without the hard top (meaning, it then seems you could use it with a soft top Jeep).

Any other roof racks that you're aware of that can be used with the soft top, that don't mount to a hard top? I'd like to run without a top for 6 - 9 months a year and would take the rack on and off depending on season/weather, but don't see mounts or brackets that work without a top. I'll mount a roof top tent if I can find the right soft top rack or mounts.

Ideas?
Sponsored

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
I have reached out to get more info about the Maximus-3, since it looks like you can install the brackets and then use the rack with or without the hard top (meaning, it then seems you could use it with a soft top Jeep).

Any other roof racks that you're aware of that can be used with the soft top, that don't mount to a hard top? I'd like to run without a top for 6 - 9 months a year and would take the rack on and off depending on season/weather, but don't see mounts or brackets that work without a top. I'll mount a roof top tent if I can find the right soft top rack or mounts.

Ideas?
https://www.extremeterrain.com/jeep-barricade-hd-roof-rack-j150595-jl.html

This is a rack that I am seriously considering from Barricade. It's actually different from their previous models and different from a Gobi rack in that it appears the rear is installed under the hard top rather than on the rear bumper and looks like you can easily swap out the Jeep with a soft top and still keep the rack. No drilling needed anywhere.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Ideas?
I came up with these when I was looking last year.
Garvin Adventure Rack - 20092 $1105
Garvin Expedition Rack - Garvin 20072 $1469
Gobi GJJL2RR $1895

OP
OP

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
@Tommywear , I wasn't real clear. I have a soft top, so I'm taking the top off, running no top. So, my question, which you answered, was really about running a rack with no top, not one that attaches to a hard top. What I really want is a top that mounts to the sport/roll bar.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

This is a rack that I am seriously considering from Barricade. It's actually different from their previous models and different from a Gobi rack in that it appears the rear is installed under the hard top rather than on the rear bumper and looks like you can easily swap out the Jeep with a soft top and still keep the rack. No drilling needed anywhere.
While that is a nice looking rack, I'm not sure how practical it would be for roof top tent use. Maximum load for that rack is 350 lbs and most RTT's go about 150 lbs so you gotta be pretty svelte to make that work.

Sponsored

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Tommywear , I wasn't real clear. I have a soft top, so I'm taking the top off, running no top. So, my question, which you answered, was really about running a rack with no top, not one that attaches to a hard top. What I really want is a top that mounts to the sport/roll bar.
You can definitely run the maximus 3 rack without a top.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof Racks - Soft Top 1642127305172

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Exposed Racks has an option for soft top, and obviously no top. I purchased one from a member here, and it works pretty well. I don't love it, but it's probably the best option for soft top without using a cage style. I use it mostly for paddle boards, kayak occasionally. If you do a search here, you'll find a few threads about it, including one guy that carries a rooftop tent on this rack.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/exposed-racks/under-soft-top-roof-rack-wrangler-unlimited-jl

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Any more pics with the top removed? I'm liking the looks of this. I guess the downside is that you have to remove the rack every time you want to put the top back on/off.
Sorry, that's a google search image. I do have that rack also but have never taken the top off due to the reason you state above. In the OP's case, if he's going to have the top off for a big chunk of the year, I don't think it would be too onerous of a chore.

FailureCoach

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Corvette ZR-1, 2002 Corvette Z06, 1972 GMC
I think I've ended up going with Gobi, with the quick detach option at the front. I ordered my Jeep with soft top only, the quick detach allows the rack to tilt back, and then the top can be put down. I have seen it in action, and it seems to be a quality piece. Although I have plenty of time to continue my research since the dealer shafted me, and my Jeep is re ordered. The Gobi is of course the most expensive one of the group I was looking at, but I think it is quality. Someone else might weigh in with actual long term experience.

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

One_off

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2d Gecko Gr + 2021 Rubicon 2 White

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Given that the Maximus-3 seems to attach to the sports bar of the JL, unless we're looking at a different rack, you might be able to run this rack topless, but not with a soft top. There's drilling involved that you simply can't do through a soft top; you can't seal such holes and it would render the soft top immobile, defeating part of its very purpose I think.

There are many racks that can be used with a soft top that don't mount to a hard top for the JL. They mount instead to the body (notice I didn't say frame, but body) and work with all top types, or no top.

Start here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

My favorites (and also the most expensive are Gobi and LOD Offroad. ) Only Gobi, to my knowledge, and as of this writing, has a rack that can be made to work with the 4xe's power port on the driver's side cowl.

Given the JL's unibody frame, you don't want your rack coming into contact with both the vehicle frame and body, just body. The former could create torsional forces that would subject the rack and vehicle to potential stresses over time and terrain.

I am confused as to how, if at all, rack use, seasons, and tops coincide from a timing standpoint with your needs. If, for example, you only have need for a rack during the times you run a hard top, something like the Dee Zee roof rack, which attaches to the hard top's rain gutters, might be for you and less expensive, if your not running heavy loads while also moving.

@Merc

Hey Carlos: It's my educated guess that like the rack you linked, like the Surco JK rack for the hard top, https://www.extremeterrain.com/surco-ax-shovel-carrier-for-safari-ax100.html is not going to be able to affix to the cargo tub with a soft top on. I hope I'm wrong, but unlike the hard top, there is likely no way for those supports that rest on the top of the tub to work with both tops, just a hard top.
The JL is body on frame not unibody.

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek

Update:

I went ahead an ordered this, fortunately in time. Just went on Extreme Terrain website, and it's now out of stock! Guess I know what I'll be doing Saturday morning. Will post pictures and install.
Sponsored