Sponsored

Roof rack woes (the one that does it all)

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I am ISO a rack system for my 2020 JLUS that will allow me to haul two kayaks or paddleboards, an overlanding shower enclosure, and possibly more down the road.
The problem (BIG problem) is that the top comes off a LOT in the summer when I’m not at the lake or on an overnight trip, so an exoskeleton is not really a good option. I’ve looked at backbones, but I haven’t found one I like that does it all.
I have looked and looked and looked… does such a rack exist??!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I forgot to add that I also have a bestop Sunrider. Currently I have gutter mount crossbars, which works great for one kayak, but not the shower enclosure.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have the Rhino Rack and it has a ton of flexibility in mounting with the slats and slots design. I have not removed the top since I installed the Rhino Rack but there are only two extra bolts that need to be removed. Granted, those two were a pain to install so getting the bolts back in will take a little bit of time.

If you are not going to be adding a ton of weight than any of the gutter mounted options would work (you mentioned a shower and that weight can add up depending on amount of water and if that is mounted while driving or only attached when showering).

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack woes (the one that does it all) IMG_7132
Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack woes (the one that does it all) IMG_7108

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
The Rhino-Rack with Backbone system is a great option. DeeZee and Exposed Racks are great options as well for gutter mount systems. They are also less expensive than the RR.

I have the Exposed Racks click in rack and love it. Super easy to put on or remove the RTT. And removing the hardtop takes less than 10 minutes start to finish. I had the RR with Maximus-3 on my JK and once it went on I never took the top off again. Just too much hassle.

froggercub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
@TrailJoy did you end up finding anything? I'm facing the same issue and tempted to just go with the $350 "Removable Roof Rack Kit - Mopar (82215387AB)" and see how far that gets me. Think buying some foam and straps should help mounting my SUP, snowboards, and anything on the smaller side.

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
I am ISO a rack system for my 2020 JLUS that will allow me to haul two kayaks or paddleboards, an overlanding shower enclosure, and possibly more down the road.
The problem (BIG problem) is that the top comes off a LOT in the summer when I’m not at the lake or on an overnight trip, so an exoskeleton is not really a good option. I’ve looked at backbones, but I haven’t found one I like that does it all.
I have looked and looked and looked… does such a rack exist??!
Hi:

I'll interpret your question as, "is there a rack that can do the things I mentioned, that facilitates top removal, hard or soft?"

You can let me know if I got that wrong.

If I got it right the Gobi can tip back to take down a top and the LOD Offroad can cantilever to the sides to effect same, or allow a hard top to be removed without messing with the rack. Links:

https://lodoffroad.com/category/jl-roof-rack

(The next two videos feature a JK, but the same applies to the JLU rack from LOD. I cannot imagine that you can fully cantilever the rack with its full weight on it.)

Gobi

https://www.gobiracks.com/product-category/roof-racks-ladders-and-accessories/jeep/jeep-jlu-4-door/

(again the JK is shown, but the process applies to the JLU as well. I can't recommend doing this with gear on the Gobi)

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
@TrailJoy did you end up finding anything? I'm facing the same issue and tempted to just go with the $350 "Removable Roof Rack Kit - Mopar (82215387AB)" and see how far that gets me. Think buying some foam and straps should help mounting my SUP, snowboards, and anything on the smaller side.
Unfortunately, no. It’s sort of a mix of problems. The Sunrider is not compatible with the gobi (I open/close it at red lights), and I don’t want guttermount (I already have gutter mount Thule evo wing bars). What I have works great for simple use (it would work well for you), but two kayaks and the shower enclosure is pushing it’s limits.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Hi:

I'll interpret your question as, "is there a rack that can do the things I mentioned, that facilitates top removal, hard or soft?"

You can let me know if I got that wrong.

If I got it right the Gobi can tip back to take down a top and the LOD Offroad can cantilever to the sides to effect same, or allow a hard top to be removed without messing with the rack. Links:

https://lodoffroad.com/category/jl-roof-rack

(The next two videos feature a JK, but the same applies to the JLU rack from LOD. I cannot imagine that you can fully cantilever the rack with its full weight on it.)

Gobi

https://www.gobiracks.com/product-category/roof-racks-ladders-and-accessories/jeep/jeep-jlu-4-door/

(again the JK is shown, but the process applies to the JLU as well. I can't recommend doing this with gear on the Gobi)

Thank you. This would work well except that it’s not compatible with the Sunrider, and I strongly dislike the way it looks when topless. lol

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I have the Rhino Rack and it has a ton of flexibility in mounting with the slats and slots design. I have not removed the top since I installed the Rhino Rack but there are only two extra bolts that need to be removed. Granted, those two were a pain to install so getting the bolts back in will take a little bit of time.

If you are not going to be adding a ton of weight than any of the gutter mounted options would work (you mentioned a shower and that weight can add up depending on amount of water and if that is mounted while driving or only attached when showering).
I looked at these but they all come too far forwards and interfere with the opening of the Sunrider.
Is this a backbone? I do like it. I just wish it was smaller.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I looked at these but they all come too far forwards and interfere with the opening of the Sunrider.
Is this a backbone? I do like it. I just wish it was smaller.
Yes, this is their Rhino Rack platform which uses the backbone system to mount to the Jeep. Maximus 3 is another vendor I believe is the other system that mounts the Rhino Rack platform to the Jeep's rollbar. Correct, the Sunrider does not fit with this size platform. They do make other size platforms but you would have to call to see if there are compatible, their site only lists this model if I recall.

Sponsored

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Thank you. This would work well except that it’s not compatible with the Sunrider, and I strongly dislike the way it looks when topless. lol
I hear you. It's not your taste. But I think that both the Gobi and LOD offerings ride higher when closed than an open Bestop Sunrider if this was the compatibility issue that concerns you.

It might be the Gobi rack that compatible with the Power roof top, that rides higher, that's your "ticket" here. So that we're on the same page here I'm envisioning tilting the Gobi back, opening your Sunrider and putting the rack back in place with enough overhead clearance to close the Gobi on an open Sunrider.

I have no horse in this race, but maybe the aforementioned LOD rack, only in a different configuration, is your way to go. (I don't know what is about its appearance you dislike--maybe all of it.)

A cheaper option with the base LOD rack assembly is to go simply with the cross bars.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jk-...-crossmember-kit-for-use-with-base-rack-only-

You could then move these bars towards the rear of the vehicle or remove them when you're not carrying gear on the rack, to facilitate opening and closing of the Sunrider.

Cheers.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
So that we're on the same page here I'm envisioning tilting the Gobi back, opening your Sunrider and putting the rack back in place with enough overhead clearance to close the Gobi on an open Sunrider.
The weather can turn quickly where I live and my favourite thing about the Sunrider is being able to open and close it at a red light without having to exit my vehicle. It takes literally seconds to flip those two latches off and throw the top back (and maybe four more to put them back on), so this for me is a total deal breaker if the rack prevents me from doing this.

As for the look, I simply prefer the look of a topless/naked Jeep (as is), than one that has an exoskeleton framing the body with its top off. It’s just personal preference, is all. :)

A backbone system definitely appears to be the way to go for me, but I’m having a really hard time finding one that is compatible with the Sunrider. :/

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@TrailJoy: I respect your architectural sentiments.

Perhaps it is I who, in knowledge of same could have made a better suggestion.

Does this sentiment better reflect your idea....?:

"You want to haul kayaks, but after doing so you'd love no trace of the device(s) used to do so on your JL?"

If so, maybe the Darby Extend-a-Truck is your "ticket."

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack woes (the one that does it all) 1660662952478

https://darbyindustries.com/product/extend-a-truck/

You'll need a front and rear hitch receiver, or a rear hitch receiver and something like this:

https://www.gobiracks.com/product/gobi-jeep-wrangler-jl-light-bar/

to place the front of the boat on, but it will create the least visible profile, or easiest profile to remove if you want your JL "bare" during times when boats aren't being hauled.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
@TrailJoy:

Does this sentiment better reflect your idea....?:

"You want to haul kayaks, but after doing so you'd love no trace of the device(s) used to do so on your JL?"
Thank you, but that’s not correct at all. I want a backbone style roof rack that does NOT have a partial (or full) exoskeleton (to allow for said removal of roof), but I need the racks to sit BEHIND the sunder to allow it to open. The rack system would then become a permanent extension of the roof, not bolted into the bumpers or to the Jeep itself. The gutter mount system I currently have works perfectly for hauling my single kayak, but I don’t trust it with two kayaks and a shower enclosure. Side rails would be a major bonus as well. Does this exist?

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Thank you, but that’s not correct at all. I want a backbone style roof rack that does NOT have a partial (or full) exoskeleton (to allow for said removal of roof), but I need the racks to sit BEHIND the sunder to allow it to open. The rack system would then become a permanent extension of the roof, not bolted into the bumpers or to the Jeep itself. The gutter mount system I currently have works perfectly for hauling my single kayak, but I don’t trust it with two kayaks and a shower enclosure. Side rails would be a major bonus as well. Does this exist?
I admit ignorance on backbone (two supports front to back on either side?) and exoskeleton (a rack that connects to the frame?) but I did want to show you this.

Latching on to your trepidation with two kayaks and a shower encloser supported by merely gutter mounts, the Surco came to mind, which can acquire some of its support through vertical members that transmit weight and provide stability via the carbo tub.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12135_9003_07.htm

That the linked item is for the JK is duly noted. It's length may not permit full Bestop Sunrider opening. I'm just trying to get closer to that you envision.

What do you think about those vertical supports as a means to strength and stability you see?

Again, my fault, I could be worlds off. :)
Sponsored