Sponsored

Roof rack with Sunrider on JLU, suggestions please!

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Sahara Altitude Diesel
Hey all, looking for a very low profile roof rack that will work with a JLU with a Hardtop that has a sunrider installed. Like super low profile, something that would add less than 3" on top of the hardtop. Bonus points for pics and links!! TIA!!!
Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
The Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with Maximus-3 bracketry sits something like 2-7/8” total above the hard top. You’d need the short platform to work with your sunrider, I suppose.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hey all, looking for a very low profile roof rack that will work with a JLU with a Hardtop that has a sunrider installed. Like super low profile, something that would add less than 3" on top of the hardtop. Bonus points for pics and links!! TIA!!!
What might be helpful Brian is if I have appreciation of how much gear you wish to carry and your budget.

For example, both the Gobi and LOD Offroad racks--at the higher end of the price range, can be configured such that the space above where the Freedom Panels would normally be (and where your Sunrider product is) is not used.

Heck, one version of the LOD rack allows you to fully cantilever the rack completely to one side of the vehicle while parked (arguably with the area above the Sunrider complete with a storage panel) so you can open your Sunrider and then slide the rack back. And the Gobi can also have this space above your Sunrider filled in with a panel as you tilt that (unloaded) rack back as per the video. These racks though do ride higher than 3" above the roof.

At the more budget conscience end you can acquire a rack that just fits over the hard top section and attaches to the rain gutter. There are weight limitations on this, and you're committed to not switching to a full soft top.

Some racks get around these weight limitations by you drilling through your hard top and affixing the rack to the sports bar.

The most efficient version of this conversation starts though with your wish list regarding weight and amout of gear carried.

Roof Racks

Check with manufacturers or here that they work with the Sunrider.

OP
OP
Riperoo

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What might be helpful Brian is if I have appreciation of how much gear you wish to carry and your budget.

For example, both the Gobi and LOD Offroad racks--at the higher end of the price range, can be configured such that the space above where the Freedom Panels would normally be (and where your Sunrider product is) is not used.

Heck, one version of the LOD rack allows you to fully cantilever the rack completely to one side of the vehicle while parked (arguably with the area above the Sunrider complete with a storage panel) so you can open your Sunrider and then slide the rack back. And the Gobi can also have this space above your Sunrider filled in with a panel as you tilt that (unloaded) rack back as per the video. These racks though do ride higher than 3" above the roof.

At the more budget conscience end you can acquire a rack that just fits over the hard top section and attaches to the rain gutter. There are weight limitations on this, and you're committed to not switching to a full soft top.

Some racks get around these weight limitations by you drilling through your hard top and affixing the rack to the sports bar.

The most efficient version of this conversation starts though with your wish list regarding weight and amout of gear carried.

Roof Racks

Check with manufacturers or here that they work with the Sunrider.
Great stuff Gee-pah, much appreciated!!! I am looking pretty light duty, couple of Kayaks, maybe some luggage when road tripping, not looking for a roof tent or anything, mostly would be a single kayak, possibly two, but even 2 isn't much more than a 100lbs. I am going to dig into some of your recommendations. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Riperoo

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Rhino Rack Pioneer platform with Maximus-3 bracketry sits something like 2-7/8” total above the hard top. You’d need the short platform to work with your sunrider, I suppose.
Thanks Bronco hound, that set up was on my list. Fits the build for sure. Thanks

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Great stuff Gee-pah, much appreciated!!! I am looking pretty light duty, couple of Kayaks, maybe some luggage when road tripping, not looking for a roof tent or anything, mostly would be a single kayak, possibly two, but even 2 isn't much more than a 100lbs. I am going to dig into some of your recommendations. Thanks again!
I would guess that the length of Kayaks would necessitate that a rack which solely likes on top of the large portion of the hardtop (i.e. sans the Freedom panels) would not provide a long enough footprint.

One solution, if you don't want a full roof length rack is a cowl attachment that allows you to rest the front of the kayak on it, e.g. https://www.gobiracks.com/product/jeep-wrangler-jl-light-bar-ranger·-multi-light/

Another might involve a front hitch and an Extend a Truck in the front https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Cargo-Carrier/Darby/DTA944.html

(And yet another might involve using kayak.com to find a place to stay already complete with kayaks for the renter to use. ;))

Joking aside, please consider the following. It's not just about the weight on the rain gutters of objects on your rack. It's also about how those items (particularly the boats), like boat sails, might want to lift off the rack at high speeds and place torsional forces on the rain gutters given the winds tendency to want to lift those items off of the top of your Wrangler.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
@Riperoo did you figure out a rack solution? The Maximus-3 is top of my list right now, and was at or near the top for my JK. The wife and I have long debates about soft top vs kayak-carry for the summer, but I think the SunRider might be just enough. Really wish it was available in the tan color, but minor complaint.

OP
OP
Riperoo

Riperoo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Riperoo did you figure out a rack solution? The Maximus-3 is top of my list right now, and was at or near the top for my JK. The wife and I have long debates about soft top vs kayak-carry for the summer, but I think the SunRider might be just enough. Really wish it was available in the tan color, but minor complaint.
No, I have not. Not 100% sure I am going to need it, and as far as the sunrider, it's the best thing I have done so far. Absolutely love it. Agree with the multiple colors, but I don't think that will ever happen. I really can not see me ever going to a soft top, if anything may just go totally topless in the height of the summer, and then Sunrider for the shoulder seasons, freedom panels for the winter months. That's the plan today anyway!!! Cuts down on bulky storage. Still need to figure out something for the Yaks though. Work in progress.
Sponsored