Roof Rack with no roof on!!?

BDumond

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU Rubicon
Hello all…asking here, I’ve used the search function and can’t find what I’m looking for...

I have a new 2022 JLU and am looking for a roof rack that does not mount to the roof but that mounts to the frame of the vehicle. I have seen 2 different versions of this…both of which fix the roof to the vehicle with the rack and do not allow the roof to be removed and the rack to stay in place.

I had a Kargo Master KongoKage on my 2011 JKU and it didn’t get in the way of any of the 3 pieces of hard top removal while still allowing me to use the rack when roof and doors aren’t on. «
Any suggestions???
Sponsored

teddo

First Name
Teddo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Cargo Master was purchased by MetalCloak and is now called Adventure rack Systems. They are awesomely rugged 2” diameter tubes that bolt into the frame.

I’ve got one, it’s fantastic, and it is still an option for you too!

https://adventureracksystems.com/

Even better, they’re super active in the forum and are happy to answer questions here if you @ them.

OP
OP

BDumond

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU Rubicon
Well this just made my mothers day…thank you!

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
@BDummond Bonnie:

First off, a list to supplement @teddo's listing: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

Second, a somewhat nitpicky but important point.

When you asked for a roof rack that mounts on the frame, I'm glad to report that most Wrangler ones don't, opting instead to attach to the body. This distinction is important because full length Wrangler racks tend to attach in front to the body, and since the construction of the Wrangler is of the "body on frame" type design, as opposed to the more common today unibody variety, we want to make sure that the rear of the rack is also attached to the body.

Pages could be written about the pros and cons of body on frame versus unibody design. The former was (smartly) chosen for the Wrangler given how its potential off road use could find parts attached to the frame performing all sorts of contours to accommodate the ground below.

If a picture's worth a 1000 words, a rack that attaches solely to the body would be fine below. But a rack that attached to the frame in the rear and body in front, would be subject to significant twist in this photo, given how uniform the body and frame are in the rear, but not the front.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof Rack with no roof on!!? 1651424266327
Sponsored