Roof rack solutions for soft top?

Lee G

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Hey everyone: I have an '18 Sahara JLU and I ordered a Gobi rack last July, but it hasn't been made yet due to covid delays. I'm strongly considering ordering a '21 Sahara JLU 4xe plug-in hybrid. However, I called today and confirmed that the Gobi rack is not compatible with the 4xe because of the location of the charge port near the driver side A pillar. Even though this location is standard for PHEV charge ports, they couldn't tell me whether any adapters or design updates would make this rack compatible in the future. For a custom roof rack at this price point, I was hoping that they'd offer to alter the mounting bracket to go around the charge port, but no dice.

My question is, for purposes of supporting a rooftop tent, is anyone aware of any other racks that can tilt back like Gobi's does in order to fold down the soft top? The Rubicon below is not mine, but it shows the brackets. Thanks in advance!

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack solutions for soft top? 1614623167311

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack solutions for soft top? 1614623217923

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack solutions for soft top? 1614623305918
Sponsored

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
OP
OP
Lee G

Lee G

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Read through this thread:

LoD Destroyer Series Sliding Roof Rack | 2018+ Jeep Wrangler Forums (JL / JLU) - Rubicon, Sahara, Sport, Unlimited - JLwranglerforums.com

LOD Destroyer Sliding Roof Rack. I'm biased, as I have one myself, but the functionality of this rack is better than the Gobi. Lead times are also much better, at least when I purchased mine. Give that thread a read, lots of good info there. This also won't work with the PHEV version, but soft top safari no problem.
Thanks! That is a nice rack, and it looks like the sliding option would make it even easier to fold down the soft top. I will try to contact the company to ask about the PHEV mounting.

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Gents, for those who run a Gobi or a LoD rack with a soft top...

I’m worried about wear and tear on the soft top as some have commented on rubbing at speed when the roof »puffs » up... the clearance seems to be really tight when you consider the fabric puffing up by at least 1.5 to 2 in...