Roof Rack Layout. Advice needed.

r.stevens

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Reaching out to the hive mind for help with my roof rack layout based on the photos below. I believe this will be all I will carry on the rack.

Things to consider: if I go with the gas cans mounted front to back (1st photo) I will be able to use 2 of the mounting plates per gas can which will better hold them (I would just need to move one of the slats and drill new holes in it - no big deal).

If the gas cans are mounted side to side (2nd photo) I will only be able to use 1 mount per gas can.

Which is the better option? Is there a third or even fourth solution to consider?

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof Rack Layout. Advice needed. 1BB490FC-E869-4766-A83F-564C456CD690

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof Rack Layout. Advice needed. 89E697CF-152D-4905-BA8A-EBCBA9446DA9
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Just spitballing - you might consider putting the fuel closer to the edges to make it easier to access or even stacking on one side if you’re able.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Will that liquid sloshing around so far above your center of gravity be an issue? Ideally you'd have no air in them to get rid of that movement, but gas expands as it heats up, so that's a "bad idea."

Maybe it's not enough weight to matter? If it's enough to matter then pick between impacting your emergency braking or your emergency turning.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
With the tanks on their side on top of your rig fully exposed to the sun you are likely to have some issues with the tanks expanding.
Sponsored