Sponsored

Roof rack for Surfboard

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
Hey there, @Themallcrawler - Yes, I remain super happy with my INNO surf racks. I love how snug it fits, while also providing support, padding and locks to leave a board. (I am often moving with multiple boards of my own per session) Additionally, they can work with a variety of cross bar options, so not really dependent on the MOPAR as the only option. Though, I am also satisfied with them.

Your issue is the soft top. You do need the rain gutters to attach crossbars for all the options that I am currently familiar with. I currently have my soft top on also and sadly, my racks remain attached to my hard top in the garage. :(

That has always been an issue with the soft tops. I know there are some racks that basically mount to the front windshield frame and the rear tub or frame that perhaps could mount board racks too... however what I never liked about those is that they make it serious work to take the soft top on and off as they front windshield frame mount is detached -so the whole unit can be rolled back allowing the top to be taken down or put up. At least that is how an old Garvin basket worked that I had mounted on an old TJ maaaaaaaany moons ago.

There may well be other options for soft tops that others can point out. Assuming so, I'd love to know myself as I currently fold a rear seat and stuff my board(s) into the rear of my 4 door. Not ideal as I lose a rear passenger seat. and am limited to 1 of my boards plus my daughters little softy when she comes to surf with me. (She's six, but does NOT want to be excluded!)

Please share anything you might learn!

Hey MarcDM - thanks so much for this post last year. I am currently facing a similar situation that you were facing. I have a 2021 2-door wrangler coming, and I'm looking for surfboard rack options. The one difference, is that I have a soft top not a hard top.

Two questions for you:

1.) Are you still happy with your Mopar Cross Bars and INNO surf adapter setup?
2.) Would this work for a soft top?
Sponsored

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
Hey there, @Themallcrawler - Yes, I remain super happy with my INNO surf racks. I love how snug it fits, while also providing support, padding and locks to leave a board. (I am often moving with multiple boards of my own per session) Additionally, they can work with a variety of cross bar options, so not really dependent on the MOPAR as the only option. Though, I am also satisfied with them.

Your issue is the soft top. You do need the rain gutters to attach crossbars for all the options that I am currently familiar with. I currently have my soft top on also and sadly, my racks remain attached to my hard top in the garage. :(

That has always been an issue with the soft tops. I know there are some racks that basically mount to the front windshield frame and the rear tub or frame that perhaps could mount board racks too... however what I never liked about those is that they make it serious work to take the soft top on and off as they front windshield frame mount is detached -so the whole unit can be rolled back allowing the top to be taken down or put up. At least that is how an old Garvin basket worked that I had mounted on an old TJ maaaaaaaany moons ago.

There may well be other options for soft tops that others can point out. Assuming so, I'd love to know myself as I currently fold a rear seat and stuff my board(s) into the rear of my 4 door. Not ideal as I lose a rear passenger seat. and am limited to 1 of my boards plus my daughters little softy when she comes to surf with me. (She's six, but does NOT want to be excluded!)

Please share anything you might learn!
Thanks Marc. Have you looked into Exposed Racks? That seems to be the go-to recommendation around here for soft tops: https://www.smsparts.com/

marcdm

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara... preceded by 2012 JKU Sahara, Multiple CJ's, TJ's even XJ, WJ & WK2... yup, Always loved my jeeps :)
That does seem like a really interesting solution… and I like the various attachments. Though, I guess my one concern is what the option becomes upon any rain! Clearly in our CA summers, we don’t get any rain… but still, only being able to use with the top down seems like it would have some limitations.

Thanks for sharing though, it IS clever and I had not seen this system!

Thanks Marc. Have you looked into Exposed Racks? That seems to be the go-to recommendation around here for soft tops: https://www.smsparts.com/

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
I have a set of Yakima racks (older ones) that fit to the gutter of my JK, with equally old Inno racks on top to hold SUP/surfboard/kiteboards (if travelling). I'm getting a JL and thinking about upgrading to the Mopar ones because the Yakimas do pinch/scrape the hard top gutter quite a bit. Any opinions between the two?

Also - is anyone aware of a solution that would be a half inno strap rack for board/half storage for trips - something that could maybe hold this - Quadratec Jumbo Rain-Proof Cargo Storage Bag | Quadratec

Themallcrawler

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL
That does seem like a really interesting solution… and I like the various attachments. Though, I guess my one concern is what the option becomes upon any rain! Clearly in our CA summers, we don’t get any rain… but still, only being able to use with the top down seems like it would have some limitations.

Thanks for sharing though, it IS clever and I had not seen this system!
Take a look at this: https://www.quadratec.com/p/exposed-racks/under-soft-top-roof-rack-wrangler-jl-2-door-gladiator-jt

It looks like you can do exposed racks that fit under the soft top. Yes, you need the top down while driving, but you could easily put the top back up once you've removed the surfboard from your rack.

Sponsored

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Thanks, I've had the JL on multiple trips now - I think anything that involves driving at 80 mph for an extended amount of time in the heat is going to have the hard top put back on. We made a 3.5 hr drive in 100 degreeish heat last wknd, and I can do it.......the wife was less than pleased. Not so much the heat, but the noise and heat combined with the bikini top.

So.....still rocking the Yakima racks, no issues.

RugbyRef

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 392
Man...I wish someone would design a workable roof rack for the Sky One Touch roof. 😔

RubiVane

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Man...I wish someone would design a workable roof rack for the Sky One Touch roof. 😔
The 60” Thule rack should work since it attaches to the gutters. I have this with a Thule SUP rack.

I’ll find out for sure if this works when I take delivery my new 4xE.

4FA926B9-6E99-4760-A25E-386B20381F57.jpeg

69A6FDA0-8AEA-4345-8C25-11DA542A0B89.jpeg

RubiVane

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon

Sponsored

48thChamber

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.groundswell-studio.com
Vehicle(s)
93 YJ Wrangler, 2021 Willys JLU O|||||||O
Occupation
Marketing & Creative Director / Web Designer
For the summer I drop the top and use some cheap kayak pads $15 and some fcs straps. When the hard top is on I have the mopar rack and some dakine surf/sup pads $25-$30.
Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for Surfboard IMG_2571
Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for Surfboard IMG_1836

ajkitebrder40

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR, Hydro Blue
Reviving this thread......I have the JLUR now with yakima racks/Inno setup for the hard top. That's no issue whatsoever.

The issue is I'm debating moving down to a JL (2 door), I've always wanted one and just seeing if logistically it will work. Assume the rear seats will be completely removed. So......for anyone with surfboards, how do you handle just a bikini top/no top?

I'm mostly carrying kiteboards (5'6 or smaller directional - I figure it can fit diagonal inside) and a SUP Foil board (5'8" x 28" wide). It's always in a board bag, so.........any thought if it can fit properly day in day out just with the nose sticking out the rear and pushed up against the passenger seat back? I can't go diagonal because the foil will be sticking up in the rear cargo area.

My longboards I'll just strap to the roll bars, no real worries there, I'm not going far. I guess I could do the same with the foilboard.
Sponsored