Sponsored

Roof rack for surfboard with Sky One-Touch top?

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4XE 2021
Hi all. I just got my new Sahara 4XE, eager to take it to the beach next summer. Just realized it's going to be a little tricky carrying my 9' longboard surfboard with the Sky One-Touch top I have. I don't need to mount anything big up there - e.g., roof tents or similar - but I will need to carry that board. I've been reading the forum, and so far the Rhino roof racks with the 8" legs are the only solution I've found that will allow me to open the top with the bars on. Here:

https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Rack/Rhino-Rack/RL210S2.html

Any other options I should be considering, or is that it?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Hi all. I just got my new Sahara 4XE, eager to take it to the beach next summer. Just realized it's going to be a little tricky carrying my 9' longboard surfboard with the Sky One-Touch top I have. I don't need to mount anything big up there - e.g., roof tents or similar - but I will need to carry that board. I've been reading the forum, and so far the Rhino roof racks with the 8" legs are the only solution I've found that will allow me to open the top with the bars on. Here:

Thanks!
I’ve been looking for a while as well and my searches always end up with the rhino rack as the only viable option.

Kansas JL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon ( sold). 2022 392 XR Tuscadero
I have been searching for the same thing. But for paddle boards. This is pretty much all I can find as well. If you move forward with purchase please post some pics and your impression. Thanks

Jmscally

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU

Thanks!
Based on some posts I saw previously, I picked up Thule 8" feet and crossbars that work for my One-Touch. I use them for a ski rack (Thule SnowPack.) I haven't actually used them yet on a trip, but I did put them on for a day or two and can confirm the roof opened cleanly even with everything on. It did increase the wind noise, and that's even before putting on skis. It wasn't too bad, though. And I only plan to use it on 2-3 trips a year.

Here's what I got from etrailer:

- Rapid Gutter Feet for Thule Crossbars - Rain Gutters - 8" Tall
- Thule WingBar Evo Crossbars - Aluminum - Black - 60" Long

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for surfboard with Sky One-Touch top? IMG_3642

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did it increase the wind noise much with just the rack? Or did you only try it with the snowboard attachment (which I might also try, as we snowboard a lot)?

Also, do you take the whole rack off when not in use? How quick is that process, with the Thule? I won’t be able to fit the Jeep in my garage with the rack. Not a huge deal as the it mostly lives outside, but all things being equal I think it’ll be nicer to have the rack off when I don’t need it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And remember, with surbooards, Wranglers and rain gutter mounts, it's not just about the weight of that you're carrying--boards not being a major concern weight wise. Rather its the upward forces of a vehicle's speed on the boards and rain gutters that concerns me as well.
Ok, let’s talk about that. Because I’d be driving at highway speeds with a big ole 9’ longboard and the wind definitely wants to lift that. I can tie it down with less of the board’s nose up front, so less for the wind to grab onto. But it’d really suck to either damage the gutters or worse have the board come off on the highway. Way dangerous. My gut says that won’t happen, just guessing the wind force and such. But any thoughts to that, those who have used roof mounts for longboards attached to gutters?

Jmscally

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU
Did it increase the wind noise much with just the rack? Or did you only try it with the snowboard attachment (which I might also try, as we snowboard a lot)?

Also, do you take the whole rack off when not in use? How quick is that process, with the Thule? I won’t be able to fit the Jeep in my garage with the rack. Not a huge deal as the it mostly lives outside, but all things being equal I think it’ll be nicer to have the rack off when I don’t need it.
Yes, I drove both with the Thule rails + rack, and with the rails/no rack, and both increased the wind noise. It wasn't terrible, but it was noticeable. I'm planing to go on my first ski trip with it in about two weeks, so I should have more of an update after a multi-hour drive.

I can fit in my garage with the feet and rails on, but not with the ski rack attachment. That's why I'll mainly keep it off and just re-install before ski trips. Luckily, at this point it probably takes me about 10 minutes or less to put back on and take off.

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 minutes to take the whole rack off, right? Not just the ski attachment? Does it seem like a bad idea to do that repeatedly, like you're mark up the rails or something? If not, that could be a good solution...

Jmscally

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU
10 minutes to take the whole rack off, right? Not just the ski attachment? Does it seem like a bad idea to do that repeatedly, like you're mark up the rails or something? If not, that could be a good solution...
Yes, whole rack -- feet and rails (now connected) and ski rack. After the initial installation, it seems like taking it off and on will go very easy and quickly. The feet have padding where they meet the rails, so I think it will be fine. The caveat is this is new to me, too. I've literally put it together, installed it once, driven it around for a few days, and then taken it off. I plan to put it on and take it off as needed this ski season, but it's too early to say this is a good, long-term solution. I'm optimistic, though.

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, whole rack -- feet and rails (now connected) and ski rack. After the initial installation, it seems like taking it off and on will go very easy and quickly. The feet have padding where they meet the rails, so I think it will be fine. The caveat is this is new to me, too. I've literally put it together, installed it once, driven it around for a few days, and then taken it off. I plan to put it on and take it off as needed this ski season, but it's too early to say this is a good, long-term solution. I'm optimistic, though.
Great, thanks.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great, thanks.
I just did my first trip with this set-up. Wow, is it loud with snowboards up there! I'm now in the market for something to deaden the sound... Looking at hotheads...

Jmscally

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU
Updating an earlier post of mine on this thread now that I finally had a chance to check out the rack on a longer drive ...

Just got back from a ski trip to Vermont, which was about a 3-hour each way, mix of country roads and major highways. With skis on the Thule (Snowpack ski carrier, Wingbar Evo crossbars 60", Rapid Gutter High feet 8") it was quiet under 50. From 50-65, noise was noticeable, but still better than expected. So overall, I was pretty happy with the noise levels on all side and back roads and smaller highways. However, over 65, and especially over 70, I would call it very loud... a loud wind sound similar to having the windows open, but no buffering.

Predictably, it was louder on the drive up earlier in the week when it was super windy, and much less so on the drive back when it was less windy. I also pushed the skis closer together on the rack on the drive back, so maybe that also made a difference.

On installation, on and off, it was pretty quick: about 10 minutes to attach feet and bars (which I had previously put together) and another 5 minutes to add the ski rack. Adding skis and taking them off wasn't too bad standing on my side steps. Driving around with just the full rack and no skis was quieter than with skis, but still a little noticeable when it got windy.

One added note on the SOT- one afternoon the temp reached the 60s with bright sunshine, so we actually opened the SOT over the front seats for a few minutes during a drive around Woodstock. It opened under the rack system I have with no problem. I wasn't planning to ever have to do that in the winter, but it was fun when we got the opportunity!

Overall, I would say this setup works. Yes, it was noticeably louder at higher speeds, but it wasn't anything we couldn't live with - especially since I'll only use this a few times a year. I took everything off as soon as we got home and stored it for the next trip. Still love the SOT!

** FWIW, on a separate-but-still-Jeep-related topic, I was also happy I ordered the Selec-Trac when I built my Jeep. It came in handy on this trip as we frequently went from paved roads to ice to mud to dirt to gravel, etc. It was nice to set it to 4H Auto and not think about it on those days. Today was sunny and dry so we popped it back into 2H.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for surfboard with Sky One-Touch top? Jeep rack 2022

OP
OP

TeeGeeThree

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found the noise borderline unbearable at high speeds. However, I moved the rack all the way to the rear of the jeep, more or less as far back as it could comfortably go, and that helped a lot. In case that’s helpful for anyone.