Sponsored

Roof rack for surfboard with Sky One-Touch top?

tykurez

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe, 2021 JT Willys
As an fyi - you can use the factory mopar crossbars, you just won’t be able to open the top. I use them to put a Yakima Skybox on for longer trips. If you’re using them for skis, you’re likely not planning on opening the top either? They take me about 10-15 minutes to mount (less to take off) so it’s not a big deal.

Noise at highway speeds on the other hand …

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
As far as wind noise, do you know of some folks running the SOT with a rooftop tent that could throw some feedback our way? I had a small single row lightbar mounted at windshield level and the buffeting of the top was so bad i felt like it was going to ruin the top. I even tried moving the bar around, an aerolidz diffuser etc. Id be crazy upset if i dropped 5 grand on rack and tent to find out jeep isnt drivable.

Thoughts?

Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler
As far as wind noise, do you know of some folks running the SOT with a rooftop tent that could throw some feedback our way? I had a small single row lightbar mounted at windshield level and the buffeting of the top was so bad i felt like it was going to ruin the top. I even tried moving the bar around, an aerolidz diffuser etc. Id be crazy upset if i dropped 5 grand on rack and tent to find out jeep isnt drivable.

Thoughts?
Zach, what setup do you have on your jeep? Curious how your light bar was mounted? pics?

Sponsored

yarmo

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Zach, what setup do you have on your jeep? Curious how your light bar was mounted? pics?
I had a similar setup to him. I had to pull off my KC bar because I couldn't take the wind noise and buffeting across the top. If your rack is quieter than the Mopar crossbars I'd be interested.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for surfboard with Sky One-Touch top? IMG_0426

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
I can definitely get pics later, i was using the quake LED lightbar brackets i liked them because the bar was right up to the top edge of the roof without being taller. I tried everything though. Custom holes moving the bar closer to the windshield, temporary modified pieces to move it up and further out from the windshield, tried the aerolidz cover to see if that would help and nothing. HORRID buffeting of the top no matter how you turned, raised, lowered etc.

1BadDad

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Innovator
I had a similar setup to him. I had to pull off my KC bar because I couldn't take the wind noise and buffeting across the top. If your rack is quieter than the Mopar crossbars I'd be interested.

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for surfboard with Sky One-Touch top? IMG_0426
i wanted that KC bar so badly, but after seeing your experience i guess i avoided the same results that I got with the small single row bar.

Adventure Rack Systems

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
ARS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, 2018 JL Wrangler
i wanted that KC bar so badly, but after seeing your experience i guess i avoided the same results that I got with the small single row bar.
We've had some customers experience buffering on the SOT and then others who didn't and it appears to be affected by different things happening at the upper edge of the window frame and also depending on what it loaded up above on overhead racks like ours.
Sponsored