First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Did not need my RTT get pulled off going down the highway and cause a nice accident. For peace of mind the Maximus 3 with pioneer rack was the way to go for me.
The Maximus 3 is the same rack I’m looking at. Which RTT did you go with? There are tons of really good options available, so I’m looking for some experienced user opinions.
Sponsored

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door
The Maximus 3 is the same rack I’m looking at. Which RTT did you go with? There are tons of really good options available, so I’m looking for some experienced user opinions.
I went with Yakima skyrise 3. DO NOT GET THAT ONE. The standard way to attach it provided by Yakima does not work. There are lots of posts on how to do it but to be honest they are all quite a bit of extra work when you could get a Tepui or something that attaches easily right out of the box. I bought it cause it was 50% off at REI.

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I went with Yakima skyrise 3. DO NOT GET THAT ONE. The standard way to attach it provided by Yakima does not work. There are lots of posts on how to do it but to be honest they are all quite a bit of extra work when you could get a Tepui or something that attaches easily right out of the box. I bought it cause it was 50% off at REI.
Gotcha! I appreciate the input!

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Sorry you had to drill through your top. FCA also does not encourage drilling through the hardtop, it could potentially generate cracks, and cracks never stop propagating. So either way you go, you are trusting R&D from third parties.
I am more worried about my RTT crashing through the roof on to my head while I’m driving than I am about my hardtop cracking. Or falling through at night while I’m asleep.

Guess we will find out, no matter how many feet those things have the weight is still coming down on the sides of the hardtop.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If you have a localish REI wait until they have their sale and you can get a killer deal with free shipping.

We got a Hybox, had a few issues with it but it fits well and overall seems well built. The mattress is a little firm for my tastes. We are going to get a topper.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I am more worried about my RTT crashing through the roof on to my head while I’m driving than I am about my hardtop cracking. Or falling through at night while I’m asleep.

Guess we will find out, no matter how many feet those things have the weight is still coming down on the sides of the hardtop.
the feet are distributed across the hardtop. not just the sides. Of course that weight distribution shifts when driving, and the feet still help. Again this rack existed before for the JK, and nobodies skull got crushed. So I think we already found out. They clearly state on their website 300lbs dynamic loading.

But yeah I mean there is no question about it. The maximus 3 is much more solid, distributing that load to the rollbars. Specially when off-road, those loads can get tricky. But I think the non-drill option should be more than fine with someone going with a "light" setup.

I personally don't feel safe and dont think it is worth going through the trouble of placing so much weight on top of a jeep, or any vehicle, just to have a regular tent with a foam mattress. I recently had the chance to try a RTT, and in all honesty, my REI kingdom tent with the kingdom queen mattress is as comfortable and takes me 5 minutes to set up and take down, I also never had any issues finding a good flat spot here in the U.S. To me it makes more sense to spend the effort and money on a light off-road camping trailer. I know there are exceptions, but 99% of people I see with RTTs would be just fine with a small camper or a regular tent. I go camping dozens of times a year, both campgrounds and primitive. I've been doing this for a long time.

Last edited:

thrasher

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4 door