JL Wrangler

AussieJL

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Overland Black/Black
I use Yakima 1A raingutter towers with 58" crossbars and Bow Down folding kayak racks. I carried three kayaks on a 500 mile trip on the interstate at 75 mph. Roof creaked a bit, but no problem. I mount the front rack 6" from the front edge of the raingutter on the main roof (not freedom panels) and the rear rack 36" from the front one. That spacing allows me to also use a roof storage box.
Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for kayaks? {filename}

Would love to hear how the long term gutter rail mounted racks are going with your kayaks.

I've just bought a JLU and have am looking for a solution - have previously had Thule racks for cars with rails with attachments for bikes (x2), kayak / surf ski (x2) and a Thule pod. Most common set up is 2 bikes (20kgs/44lbs total) or a surf ski (6.1m/20 feet 17kg/37lbs) and kayak (5.8m/19 feet 22kgs/48lbs).

Also love to hear if you have found a good solution for a front tie down point.

kaz

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
If you are in the Maryland area, local fabricator that has some really good looking work....currently ordered the kayak rack for my hobie outback to hitchmount to my 2018 JLU soft top...I will post pics when I get it....It will have the open receiver so I can also add the basket carrier (separate addition)....

Jeep Wrangler JL Roof rack for kayaks? 1E553402-6FAA-484C-A236-C04132C85462
This looks great, @WaldorfJL. What shop in Maryland did you get that from?

Sponsored

haidenlu

First Name
luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan370
I purchased this to take 3 kayaks on a 7 hour trip each way to Gulf Shores. Worked great. Cruised at 80mph and the rack was not a worry at all.

Last edited:

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
So price tossed to the side.... Is the Rhinorack Backbone the better option for boxed choices to carry 2 kayaks?

We are looking for something to mount on our new to us JLU. We already have the Hullavators and kayaks.
Sponsored