Roof rack / cross bars / kayak

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
Hi I'm looking for some cross bars or a roof rack reasonably priced and the best one out there lot to ask I know. Is anybody had any luck I see a bunch of them on Amazon running from about $99 to about $300. Help? Thank you
Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I have the Yakima gutter mount round bars, they are pretty rugged. The bars themselves are rated for 165 pounds but I am not sure the gutters would handle that much weight. Not sure what the weight limit is on the rain gutters. I only carry long fishing poles so weight is not a problem for my rack.

The towers, bars and locks go for around $300. I got mine which were almost brand new for $150 on Craigslist.

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
How many kayaks do you plan to carry, and how much do they weigh? Considering the fact that your roof is a fiberglass convertible top that is not meant to bear a whole lot of weight, and has rubber gaskets/fittings to prevent leaks, do you think it's a good idea to put a lot of weight on there and then drive around, putting dynamic stresses on it? I don't think it's a good idea.
So I wanted a body-mounted rack that is designed to carry a lot of weight without putting that weight on my convertible top. I bought the Garvin Adventure Full Rack, which can handle 600 pounds without putting an ounce of load on my roof. Then I bought Thule crossbars and Yakima kayak stackers. You can see it in my Avatar.
So I can carry 4-6 kayaks on my roof, 200-300 pounds, at 75 MPH worry-free. And I do so, 20-30 times per year.
Is this an "affordable" option; no? But since this is my lifestyle, it is the right way to do it, in my opinion. All in? 1,600, 1,700 dollars maybe...
If you don't carry a boat often and don't carry multiple boats, this probably isn't the way for you. But if carrying boats on your roof is an important and regular part of your lifestyle, I think this is the right way to do it.

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR

Rustynail11

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I purchased these and was able to strap down 3 surfboards to it for a 800+ road trip mostly highway. So far they have been holding strong and took all of about 10 minutes to install.

I kayak is a bit heftier, but not so much that it would be a problem. I wouldn't go putting a RTT on it...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BJMFBX2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I am looking at these, think max load is 88lbs. Need something to mount a roof basket to to carry chairs, 2 folded tent cots, and few other small things for my trips down to TX coast to camp on the beach and surf fish

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jeep 5150 2112

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl 2018
How many kayaks do you plan to carry, and how much do they weigh? Considering the fact that your roof is a fiberglass convertible top that is not meant to bear a whole lot of weight, and has rubber gaskets/fittings to prevent leaks, do you think it's a good idea to put a lot of weight on there and then drive around, putting dynamic stresses on it? I don't think it's a good idea.
So I wanted a body-mounted rack that is designed to carry a lot of weight without putting that weight on my convertible top. I bought the Garvin Adventure Full Rack, which can handle 600 pounds without putting an ounce of load on my roof. Then I bought Thule crossbars and Yakima kayak stackers. You can see it in my Avatar.
So I can carry 4-6 kayaks on my roof, 200-300 pounds, at 75 MPH worry-free. And I do so, 20-30 times per year.
Is this an "affordable" option; no? But since this is my lifestyle, it is the right way to do it, in my opinion. All in? 1,600, 1,700 dollars maybe...
If you don't carry a boat often and don't carry multiple boats, this probably isn't the way for you. But if carrying boats on your roof is an important and regular part of your lifestyle, I think this is the right way to do it.
One maybe two kayaks. Do you have any pics sounds better thanks

ColoradoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
What will you be using the roof rack for? For high-lift items, external/Internal frame roof racks are the safest bet. Everyone quotes the static weight rating of a their gutter-mounted racks. Some do better by also considering the dynamic weight rating.

But more importantly... What is the weight (downforce) and lift (upforce) ratings of the GUTTERS. As far as I know, Jeep has not published these data. I know many folks use their gutter-mounted racks for high-lift items like kayaks with no problems but I would weigh the pros-cons very carefully.

Reactions: RZ.

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I have heard good things about the Mopar Removable Roof Rack Kit part #82215387. I haven't seen one in person though.

RZ.

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 Sport S
Occupation
Blueprints & Tarot

Sponsored

JamC12H23

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Diesel
This is how my wife and I take 2 kayaks, when my kids come and we need 4 we take the flat trailer. It also mounts nicely behind our travel trailer on the bumper. I have hauled the kayaks on the roof of our Subaru Ascent and much prefer the hit mounted option. Not inexpensive but worth it.

https://vertiyak.com/

TheDogPack

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon

TheDogPack

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
From what I've been reading - the lift generated is more important than the static weight when hauling boats/boards. Adding a 3rd crossbar to the hardtops seems to be a common approach to beef things up.

I ordered this one recently:
https://www.smsparts.com/product-page/8-00-9654-bk-solid-jlu-soft-top-pkg-txt-blk
I run another support off of the hitch for my Paddle Boards which allows you to push back the nose to reduce the life.

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Tricam-SLE-1...ailer+hitch+kayak+rack&qid=1661965734&sr=8-13

Twist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR
How is the wind noise on the Hooke?
I would say that I didn’t notice it.

My perspective might be skewed… I have owned many jeeps (CJ/YJ/TJ) and the JL is quieter by leaps and bounds. Almost to the point you don’t know your in a wrangler.

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
One maybe two kayaks. Do you have any pics sounds better thanks
Marc:

Please consider, when it comes to gutter mounted roof racks and things like kayaks and surfboards, that have a somewhat aerodynamic design, that it is not just the weight of these items on the roof gutters, but the forces of lift as decent vehicle speeds are achieved and these attached water toys have tendency to want to rise into the air like an airplane wing.
Sponsored