Sponsored

Roof rack cargo bags

jeepinalaska

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Any recommendations for a weatherproof roof rack bag for the large Maximus 3 rack? The rack measures 76” x 54”, and I would like a bag that fits at least pretty close to that width and preferably close to the length too. The problem is, most roof rack bags I find out there are much smaller, usually around 44”L x 35”w x17h. I think that would look really awkward on such a big rack and would not hold as much stuff as I need. I have seen plenty of what appear to be weatherproof bags on wranglers that seem to fit pretty well and close to what I am talking about, but for all I know they could all just be bags that came with rooftop tents that they are holding inside.
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have the smaller Maximus 3 rack for the 2dr and have a RoofPax Extendable 15/19 cubic feet RoofTop Cargo Carrier bag. It's about the size you indicated. It's a good thick sturdy bag with 10 cinch straps all around it. I can't speak for water as I'm in the desert but it does keep the fine desert dust out.

But even with all those straps, a bag that size it's not easy to strap down so they don't slosh side to side. While it's more than good enough for highway use, I wore a hole in my bag transporting a cot off road. I can't really fault the bag, it has a lot of straps to hold it tight but even that wasn't enough to prevent shifting when off road and wear through the thick bag. I think the size is just too big to strap down well enough for off road use. The bag will stay secured but the contents shift inside it enough to cause wear, especially if you put something hard inside it. I also found the large bag is a bit unwieldy to pack on the roof (even with the Maximus 3 ladders) and rather heavy to pack on the ground and lift up there. I don't consider it a great solution.

If I were to do it over I'd choose several smaller bags instead of a single large bag to have more tie-down straps that are closer together.