Sponsored

Roof Rack and Fuel Economy

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
All

Been considering a few different roof rack options. Got a family and a dog so I need the extra storage for camping gear and the like. I also off-road about once a month.

I’ve seen lots of info here and there about roof rack and MPG, though I haven’t seen anything definitive. I was sold on Gobi Steath rack for a while there but rumor has it that it really drops the fuel economy, even unloaded. Can anyone out there share their experience on their JL?

Also been considering Maximus-3 and am wondering if Fuel Economy is similarly hit.

Thanks for your responses!
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Roof rack wind resistance and weight is bound to affect MPGs. Then again, the same sturdy design of the Gobi that may adversely affect your MPGs also allows it to bear 300 pounds of weight dynamically, and 800 statically for sleep systems.

I'm likely waiting for the LOD offroad one to come out before making a decision.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

Its catalevered basket design, which also permits its removal, interests me on soft top opening for the former, and our shared gas savings on the latter, when the basket's not in use. The base rack in entirely seems pretty easy to take apart too as it relates to my interest in changing tops during the year, and again, our collected MPG interests.

Lifting the Gobi rack for soft top opening takes time, even though it's an awesome rack.

You may want to take a look at this if you haven't.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

It might also help if you tell us:

* What top(s) you'll be running?
* 4 door, correct?
* If hard top, will you be happy with gutter mounts only, or with vertical risers in rear AND gutter mounts, or a drilled top?
* How often you'll use the rack (do you use it when monthly off roading?)
* Do you want to take out Freedom Panels or bring back a soft top?
* If you're willing to remove the rack in part or whole when not in use, and how much work is involved, to save the MPGs you're concerned about.
* If 4 door, do you need full or half length rack?
* The weight of the gear, both stationary and if sleeping on top?
* Price range?
* What if any accessories do you want for your rack (e.g. Rotopax, tools)?
* Are you willing to drill for the install, even if holes are hidden (e.g. LOD Offroad holes behind brake lights).
* How soon do you want the rack? Gobi's take time after order, LOD's isn't out yet, etc.

We can then take it from there. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. I suggest a frame only attached rack, especially if your off roading with it.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
This is why I'm going for the Maximus-3 and Pioneer Platform without any rails or LED bars attached. Its the slimmest profile Roof Rack on the market and I anticipate minimal affect on MPG's.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

depended on the weight and height of the lod. once i know what it is ill debate between it and the Max3

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Roof rack wind resistance and weight is bound to affect MPGs. Then again, the same sturdy design of the Gobi that may adversely affect your MPGs also allows it to bear 300 pounds of weight dynamically, and 800 statically for sleep systems.

I'm likely waiting for the LOD offroad one to come out before making a decision.

https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep/2018-jeep-jl-products/roof-rack.html

Its catalevered basket design, which also permits its removal, interests me on soft top opening for the former, and our shared gas savings on the latter, when the basket's not in use. The base rack in entirely seems pretty easy to take apart too as it relates to my interest in changing tops during the year, and again, our collected MPG interests.

Lifting the Gobi rack for soft top opening takes time, even though it's an awesome rack.

You may want to take a look at this if you haven't.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-roof-rack-list-jl-jlu-wrangler.2665/

It might also help if you tell us:

* What top(s) you'll be running?
* 4 door, correct?
* If hard top, will you be happy with gutter mounts only, or with vertical risers in rear AND gutter mounts, or a drilled top?
* How often you'll use the rack (do you use it when monthly off roading?)
* Do you want to take out Freedom Panels or bring back a soft top?
* If you're willing to remove the rack in part or whole when not in use, and how much work is involved, to save the MPGs you're concerned about.
* If 4 door, do you need full or half length rack?
* The weight of the gear, both stationary and if sleeping on top?
* Price range?
* What if any accessories do you want for your rack (e.g. Rotopax, tools)?
* Are you willing to drill for the install, even if holes are hidden (e.g. LOD Offroad holes behind brake lights).
* How soon do you want the rack? Gobi's take time after order, LOD's isn't out yet, etc.

We can then take it from there. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. I suggest a frame only attached rack, especially if your off roading with it.

*Hard-top, though I contemplate having soft-top in the summer, but this isn't necessary atm. Right now I'm fine with sticking with the hardtop, but I *want it to be removable still without too much extra work. What I've seen of both the maximus-3 and gobi stealth seem reasonable.
*4 Door.
*Worried that gutter mounts just wont do as far as weight needs, though I'm not planning on roof-top tenting at this time.
*In the spring through fall I will likely use the roof-rack a few times per month. I would like to also have a shovel attached to it and a lift, so it needs to be on there whenever I offroad.
*I'd prefer not to have to take the rack off unless its easy, say under 30 minutes. But this is my daily driver.
*Not sure on length. I'm leaning half length if maximus-3 or something similar, but full (obviously) for gobi.
*While I'd prefer not to drill holes I will if it seems like the right choice.
*Want my rack soon, within a few months. Contemplating just doing a MOPAR gutter rack to get me by but don't really want to go that route... I think...

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
*Hard-top, though I contemplate having soft-top in the summer, but this isn't necessary atm. Right now I'm fine with sticking with the hardtop, but I *want it to be removable still without too much extra work. What I've seen of both the maximus-3 and gobi stealth seem reasonable.
*4 Door.
*Worried that gutter mounts just wont do as far as weight needs, though I'm not planning on roof-top tenting at this time.
*In the spring through fall I will likely use the roof-rack a few times per month. I would like to also have a shovel attached to it and a lift, so it needs to be on there whenever I offroad.
*I'd prefer not to have to take the rack off unless its easy, say under 30 minutes. But this is my daily driver.
*Not sure on length. I'm leaning half length if maximus-3 or something similar, but full (obviously) for gobi.
*While I'd prefer not to drill holes I will if it seems like the right choice.
*Want my rack soon, within a few months. Contemplating just doing a MOPAR gutter rack to get me by but don't really want to go that route... I think...
You realize that the MOPAR gutter mounts will only get you the most basic of stuff on top, but perhaps you can stick the light stuff, like clothes (in water proof bags of course) up there and sit out the purchase of a full rack until more options become available.

Heck, even lifting the Gobi rack, empty, to pop the top is a bit of work, letting along taking it off.

Admitting my biases, I'm really thinking, even if different reasons motivate us, the the LOD rack may be your thing, removing the basket when not in use and saving fuel via less weight.

If you get that soft top, you're going to want to take it camping I think. So I'd lean towards final purchase racks that work with either top.

Let us know how things turn out!

: - )

OP
OP
SuperNerdEE

SuperNerdEE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
This is why I'm going for the Maximus-3 and Pioneer Platform without any rails or LED bars attached. Its the slimmest profile Roof Rack on the market and I anticipate minimal affect on MPG's.
So I think I’ve sold myself on the Maximus 3. Have you got one yet? Also, you mentioned you weren’t going to get rails on it for reduced wind noise/weight I’m guessing. I’m toying with rails: wouldn’t those rails be pretty vital in tying things down and keeping them from sliding off?

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
So I think I’ve sold myself on the Maximus 3. Have you got one yet? Also, you mentioned you weren’t going to get rails on it for reduced wind noise/weight I’m guessing. I’m toying with rails: wouldn’t those rails be pretty vital in tying things down and keeping them from sliding off?
Yes I ended up installing it 2 weeks ago. Was easy to do.. I don't think you need rails if you have good tie down straps.

IMG_0595.jpeg

Also you can buy these https://amzn.to/2PINu7z and use with some tie down straps. If you know what your doing you can probably just go to Hardware stores and buy this EYE BOLTs yourself and use that.
Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 9.42.41 AM.png
Sponsored