Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Occupation
RN
Hi everyone.

I'm interested in putting a roof rack on my JLUR and wanted to know about the weight versus the manufacturers advice.

I've read sources stating that 70kgs is the max that can be loaded if the rack is on the hard top. I've also read that the manufacturers advise against loading anything on the hard top, as in dont put a roof rack.

Despite this i see lots of overlanders and vbloggers and enthusiasts with roof racks (exoskeletal or otherwise).

What have you guys done?
Sponsored

Rubi D

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon Diesel, Hella Yella
Hi everyone.

I'm interested in putting a roof rack on my JLUR and wanted to know about the weight versus the manufacturers advice.

I've read sources stating that 70kgs is the max that can be loaded if the rack is on the hard top. I've also read that the manufacturers advise against loading anything on the hard top, as in dont put a roof rack.

Despite this i see lots of overlanders and vbloggers and enthusiasts with roof racks (exoskeletal or otherwise).

What have you guys done?
I think you will find, the official load limit in the manual is 45kgs for racks added to the gutters of the hard top. Somewhat less that a conventional steel roof vehicle, but where is the fun in that? Add on something like a Rhino Backbone with corresponding racks or platform and the vehicle load limit max's at 120kgs. Takes away the roof rack system of 33kgs and you are left with a moving load capacity of 87kgs. Remember that is a moving load. The static rating is much greater. Moving that load off road and the ratings drop by a factor of 1.5. (87/1.5 = 58kgs).

I have the Rhino Rack backbone/platform system on mine and am very happy with it. There are a number of different solutions out there which have different ways of supporting a load above the fibre roof.

Jaydee_S

First Name
Jaydee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito Rubicon
Hi everyone.

What have you guys done?

I vote for the Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform and not just because thats my Jeep in all the photos on their website =)

https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/pro...form/pioneer-platform-1828mm-x-1426mm-_jb1126

Solid unit, looks good, holds heaps of static weight as the weight isnt held by the roof but by the body..
I can stand on my roof rack with easewithout worrying about it bending, deforming, breaking, etc.

Its pricey, but well worth it.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi everyone.

What have you guys done?
Hi Antonio:

The answer to your question I feel, is dependent upon:

1) the rack and its design,
2) where on the vehicle in attaches to, and I imagine how, and
3) limits I imagine to what the JL can haul in terms of not only sheer weight, but that top load elevating the rig's center of gravity.

Racks that secure to the gutter mounts I'm to understand are limited to 150 lbs/ 70 kg. And remember, a rack has to resist not only forces of gravity, but those of wind that go against gravity as loads with more aerodynamic potential to sail in the wind produced by vehicle speed, than their weight, also strain the rack.

I think what you've read about putting no loads on the hard top needs to be clarified. Clearly, MOPAR, as a supplier of roof gutter mounted crossbars themselves wouldn't offer such an accessory if FCA advised against it. Perhaps you are referring to loads that go directly on the roof itself.

But as for roof racks in general, particular those that aren't **supported by the hard top** are concerned, I really don't see any need to eliminate the entire product segment. Clearly, some racks are better built than others, but racks on Wranglers have safely been used for years.

Still more, racks can handle greater static loads than dynamic. In practical terms those means that your tent on top is fine for attachment while driving, but the rack is also capable of handling more weight, i.e. you and others sleeping in it when parked.

There are several different methods of not incorporating the hard top as part of a rack's support directly. One involves drilling through the hard top and securing the rack to the Sports Bars. Another clamps the rack in back to the rig's frame (ideally NOT body, see below,) and the roof cowls in front. And yet another uses the cargo tub.

In the first and third, you're commiting yourself to using the hard top; the first not allowing you to remove it, and the third not allowing you to run the rack with the soft top as the side windows and such racks are incompatible.

As for racks that attach to the frame, there are various methods. For example, Gobi does this without drilling, and LOD Offroad involves drilling, but below temporarily removed body components that when reinstalled after the drilling conceal such holes. Some racks drill into conspicuous areas.

Final thought, I strongly suggest if you go with any rack that attaches to the rig, that its connection points be with the frame, not the body. As you may know, the JL is a body on frame design, not unibody as found in sedans and other SUVs. Because of this, and as the attachment points in front are invariably on the cowl--which is a frame attached part, in the rear, to attach to the rig's body would put stresses on the rig and rack as the frame moves in response to the terrain.
Sponsored