Roof LED Light Bracket

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are they any JL specific roof/overhead LED mounting kits available yet? I've been looking at a bunch of light bars but I'm not sure if the JK ones will fit or not
Sponsored

Firecracker Rubi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The bolts to mount on the beackets on the JK are not present on the JL, I think that's why you haven't seen any 50" light bars on the new JLs.

I suspect they are all scratching their head trying to figure out how to design something without drilling the body of the Jeep. I saw one JL with a light bar somewhere online but it was a huge bulky tube, did not look fantastic.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
First I’d ask yourself, do you need a light bar or do you want a light bar. The reason I bring this up is that when you install a light bar just for the cool factor, be aware you’ll be stuck dealing with all the annoying noises that come with that decision.

That said it’ll probably be a little while yet before companies come up with a mounting solution as they need to come up with a completely new approach on the new Jeep due to lack of attachment point on the windshield frame. Who knows, we may end up seeing something like what they’ve been doing on trucks and SUV’s since the light bar craze exploded.

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Agreed with @kkuntz01 ...the over the windshield LED bars will possibly cause wind noise or that whistle sound. I chose the hood mount for mine. No noise at all. I use it often because I live on some land in the mountains and it is nice to use it...

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agreed with @kkuntz01 ...the over the windshield LED bars will possibly cause wind noise or that whistle sound. I chose the hood mount for mine. No noise at all. I use it often because I live on some land in the mountains and it is nice to use it...
Everyone I know that runs 50's across their windshield are dealing with some form of wind noise or whistling from the cooling fins. You can minimize somewhat by using covers of the light bar or angling it down slightly, but there is still some noise.

I'm curious about the hood mount 50", are you getting a lot of glare off your hood? I'd think you'd get a lot of glare when running it there with that much light output so close to the hood.

Sponsored

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went with the RC 30 inch bar. There is glare from the hood but it doesn't bother me. When it warms up, I will be putting on a matte black hood decal to fix that.

20180330_163045.jpg
20180330_163039.jpg

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
First I’d ask yourself, do you need a light bar or do you want a light bar. The reason I bring this up is that when you install a light bar just for the cool factor, be aware you’ll be stuck dealing with all the annoying noises that come with that decision.

That said it’ll probably be a little while yet before companies come up with a mounting solution as they need to come up with a completely new approach on the new Jeep due to lack of attachment point on the windshield frame. Who knows, we may end up seeing something like what they’ve been doing on trucks and SUV’s since the light bar craze exploded.
True that is a good point. I was mainly look to gather info on what mounting brackets are out now.

I do a lot of camping in CO , UT and WY and most are late trips after work from Denver. I'll be looking for something that helps with trail visibility and setting up/breaking down camp. Don't know if a roof, hood or some good A-pillar spot lights would be best?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
True that is a good point. I was mainly look to gather info on what mounting brackets are out now.

I do a lot of camping in CO , UT and WY and most are late trips after work from Denver. I'll be looking for something that helps with trail visibility and setting up/breaking down camp. Don't know if a roof, hood or some good A-pillar spot lights would be best?
Personally, I think if you went with a quality 10" or 20" on the bumper in a driving pattern supplemented with some flood or wide driving lights front and rear to use as "work scene" lighting and you should be good. A 50" across the top of the windshield or roof level wouldn't be too useful for what you're planning. I see those being more useful in open areas where you're traveling at higher rates of speed. I'm also not exactly sold on light bars strapped down do close to the hood due to the amount of light output potentially lost due to the hood being an obstruction.

Baja Designs put together a chart that has suggestions for different types of light in different zones.

2016%20Lighting%20Zones%20Chart.jpg

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thanks. That might be one of the simplest, most effective diagrams I've seen. Shows me that adding a couple quality spot lights (Zone2) and something in Zone 3 would be enough

OP
OP
rizej

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I went with the RC 30 inch bar. There is glare from the hood but it doesn't bother me. When it warms up, I will be putting on a matte black hood decal to fix that.

20180330_163045.jpg
20180330_163039.jpg
Could you get a picture of the glare at night from the hood light? I'm curious to see if its necessary to get something for the hood or if it's properly angled it would be reduced

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're doing pod or cube style lights in zone 2, personally I'd do something in a driving pattern which is more of a combo to give you some distance and some good spread to the left and right. I've been running this pattern on my JK for years and find it a great all around light pattern. A "spot" pattern is more of a pencil beam that will only give you distance.

This is my JK with Baja Designs 8" OnX on the bumper and their Squadron Pro's at the windshield all in driving pattern.
10615416_717379271630618_5734108604842108615_n.jpg

Bingy

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could you get a picture of the glare at night from the hood light? I'm curious to see if its necessary to get something for the hood or if it's properly angled it would be reduced
Here are some pics with the hood LED off and on on my driveway. Also some shots of the hood. Right now the hood glare does not bother my eyes at night because it is not reflecting back towards you. I plan on installing a matte black hood decal in the next month or so. That would take care of it. Overall I like the light very much.

Left click each pic to enlarge them....The hood of the JL has a slight downward angle from the wiper blades to the front edge of the hood. Therefore, there is no loss of light beam. However, you would get a kick back reflection from any light on the A pillar or the hood, thats why matte black hood decals are a good option or simply go with a front bumper mount.

20180409_202404.jpg
20180409_202428.jpg
20180409_202435.jpg
20180409_202450.jpg

and a shot from inside the Jeep...disregard the light output from this vantage point. The camera iris does not pick up the light well in this pic.

20180409_202356.jpg

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon
Here are some pics with the hood LED off and on on my driveway. Also some shots of the hood. Right now the hood glare does not bother my eyes at night because it is not reflecting back towards you. I plan on installing a matte black hood decal in the next month or so. That would take care of it. Overall I like the light very much.

Left click each pic to enlarge them....The hood of the JL has a slight downward angle from the wiper blades to the front edge of the hood. Therefore, there is no loss of light beam. However, you would get a kick back reflection from any light on the A pillar or the hood, thats why matte black hood decals are a good option or simply go with a front bumper mount.

20180409_202404.jpg
20180409_202428.jpg
20180409_202435.jpg
20180409_202450.jpg

and a shot from inside the Jeep...disregard the light output from this vantage point. The camera iris does not pick up the light well in this pic.

20180409_202356.jpg
Is there any heat build up from the light?

Any wind noise?

Is your light bar spot pattern?

Have seen a 30 inch mount bracket with no light?

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The hood of the JL has a slight downward angle from the wiper blades to the front edge of the hood. Therefore, there is no loss of light beam.
I would beg to differ on that statement. The big bright hot spot on your hood between the light bar and the rubber pads to rest the windshield on is your lost light output. I can almost guarantee if you were to move that light to the bumper you’d pick up a little more usable light output.

20180409_202450-jpg.jpg
Sponsored