Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to determine what the weight capacity actually is for the gutter mounted crossbars. By chance do you know?
Ive seen two numbers 100 lbs and 150lbs. I think it is 150. And you could could a little higher but it isnt safe. Ive seen cracked, damaged gutters.

150lbs is what the guys at extreme terrain said in one video, and Jeep also said it when they showed their rack system. I think the 80lbs number you are looking at is when you take into consideration the crossbars + bar. I would personally not do the gutter mount crossbars, I would go with exposed racks which used the entire top.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holds my two 34 lb kayaks. No pics yet because it’s too cold. In a couple months...
Your kayaks are pretty light. But you could potentially be causing hidden damage to your top due to stress from lifting forces. make sure to attach the bow of the kayaks to the jeeps frame.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Ive seen two numbers 100 lbs and 150lbs. I think it is 150. And you could could a little higher but it isnt safe. Ive seen cracked, damaged gutters.

150lbs is what the guys at extreme terrain said in one video, and Jeep also said it when they showed their rack system. I think the 80lbs number you are looking at is when you take into consideration the crossbars + bar. I would personally not do the gutter mount crossbars, I would go with exposed racks which used the entire top.
Thanks so much! Unfortunately crossbars seem to be the only option for me, unless I want to go with a backbone system (which I really don't need at all). And by exposed racks I'm assuming you mean an exoskeleton, which I DEFINITELY don't want.

Also, I spent a lot of time over the last few days discussing and analyzing the physics on when/how they could crack. The conclusion I've come to is that the danger of breakage or cracking the rails is MUCH greater for those who use J-hooks, which I do not (I lay mine flat). Yes there's still a risk, but I think that in my case the risk is extremely low. Now I just need to decide for myself whether or not it's worth it.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks so much! Unfortunately crossbars seem to be the only option for me, unless I want to go with a backbone system (which I really don't need at all). And by exposed racks I'm assuming you mean an exoskeleton, which I DEFINITELY don't want.

Also, I spent a lot of time over the last few days discussing and analyzing the physics on when/how they could crack. The conclusion I've come to is that the danger of breakage or cracking the rails is MUCH greater for those who use J-hooks, which I do not (I lay mine flat). Yes there's still a risk, but I think that in my case the risk is extremely low. Now I just need to decide for myself whether or not it's worth it.
no. Google exposed racks, theres no exoeskeleton not sure what you mean by that. They have a system of gutter crossbars that also have feet that connect to the bars and rest on the top, so it distributes the weight evenly across the top. They claim you can load 300lbs dynamic on them with the right setup.

Regarding lift forces with a Kayak you can always transfer those to the frame by strapping the bow to the front frame. I dont don how the J brackets make the lift worst than lying it flat?. When you drive forward there is a pressure gradient where the bow of the kayak is which creates a vertical force, just like wings work, so having it flat I think would make it worst?

Last edited:

Sponsored

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Could you please provide where you found this information? All I seem to be getting is speculation (and often 80-85 lbs).
Just a few I found. I actually have the bars installed but haven’t used them yet. The fit is great and 150 seems reasonable given the strength of the bars and the gutters. Obviously, everyone must make their own informed decision as to what’s best for them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+jl+mopar+roof+rack+weight+limit

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

https://fortec4x4.com/products/jep-82215387

https://www.justjeeps.com/jeep-wran...jl-and-gladiator-jt-with-factory-hardtop.html

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
no. Google exposed racks, theres no exoeskeleton not sure what you mean by that. They have a system of gutter crossbars that also have feet that connect to the bars and rest on the top, so it distributes the weight evenly across the top. They claim you can load 300lbs dynamic on them with the right setup.

Regarding lift forces with a Kayak you can always transfer those to the frame by strapping the bow to the front frame. I dont don how the J brackets make the lift worst than lying it flat?. When you drive forward there is a pressure gradient where the bow of the kayak is which creates a vertical force, just like wings work, so having it flat I think would make it worst?
The front to back force I can’t see being a big issue. It’s the side to side force that has a much higher likelihood of breakage.

Exposed racks! I had no idea that’s what they were called. I was just looking for crossbars and gutter mounts. Thanks for that!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So has to be naked Carry, wonder what of it start to rain.
No it doesn't. The exposed racks work either way. Naked or on the top (as long as you have a hard top!). With a softop the only way to have cross-bars and not be naked are cage style racks (gobi) or hitchmount racks (like the hitchmount rack v.2).

I've tried the hitchmount rack and works very well for kayaks, skiis, surfboards, bikes, etc...

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Just a few I found. I actually have the bars installed but haven’t used them yet. The fit is great and 150 seems reasonable given the strength of the bars and the gutters. Obviously, everyone must make their own informed decision as to what’s best for them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+jl+mopar+roof+rack+weight+limit

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/removable-roof-rack-kit-jeep-wrangler-jl

https://fortec4x4.com/products/jep-82215387

https://www.justjeeps.com/jeep-wran...jl-and-gladiator-jt-with-factory-hardtop.html
The weight limits in your links are for the racks themselves. They could have a limit of 500 lbs, but the gutter rails could be 50. I'm asking about the weight limits of the gutter rails... not the rack system.

The Mopar one states right in the description "*Manufacturer Recommended Weight Limit is 150 lbs. Limited by the strength of the hardtop gutter rail." Are you interpreting this to mean that the gutter rail limit would be 150 lbs (and the crossbars could possibly hold more, if the gutter rails could handle more)?

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The weight limits in your links are for the racks themselves. They could have a limit of 500 lbs, but the gutter rails could be 50. I'm asking about the weight limits of the gutter rails... not the rack system.

The Mopar one states right in the description "*Manufacturer Recommended Weight Limit is 150 lbs. Limited by the strength of the hardtop gutter rail." Are you interpreting this to mean that the gutter rail limit would be 150 lbs (and the crossbars could possibly hold more, if the gutter rails could handle more)?
That's exactly what it means. They're just saying that the limit of 150lbs is not because of their rack, or their crossbars, but because the gutters can't simply hold more. They also state that they are not designed for watersports (kayaks).

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
That's exactly what it means. They're just saying that the limit of 150lbs is not because of their rack, or their crossbars, but because the gutters can't simply hold more. They also state that they are not designed for watersports (kayaks).
Ah ha! Thanks! Yes I saw that, but I won't be buying the mopar one anyway.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sorry to disappoint. That’s all I could find. No need to get bent out of shape, especially when you aren’t even going to buy that setup. Best of luck.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Sorry to disappoint. That’s all I could find. No need to get bent out of shape, especially when you aren’t even going to buy that setup. Best of luck.
Bent out of shape. LOL I appreciate the reply! And actually, it makes sense that the limited weight of the gutters ARE the 150 lbs that limits the crossbars. I'm not buying the Mopar system, but I am buying a gutter mounted rail system so your reply was helpful. :like:

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bent out of shape. LOL I appreciate the reply! And actually, it makes sense that the limited weight of the gutters ARE the 150 lbs that limits the crossbars. I'm not buying the Mopar system, but I am buying a gutter mounted rail system so your reply was helpful. :like:
Gotcha! Hope you find something that works well for your needs. I have a basket but need to test it out. Not even sure what I’m going to put up there :facepalm:
Sponsored