Sponsored

Rolling my Jeep JL on highway makes me think....

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I've had my new Wrangler all of three days now. I had ordered it from the factory back in October. During the wait, I considered what I might do in terms of modifications. Maybe start off with a leveling kit and run the stock all terrains until I need new rubber than upgrade to a full suspension lift and larger tires. Maybe throw some 33s on without a lift. I came from a BMW 3-series, which rides so low to the ground that when I got into the stock Jeep for the first time, I was shocked by how high up I was. I understood the leveling kit to be done primarily for aesthetics but find that I have no problems with how it looks as is. I'll see what happens in time but, for now, I have no problem keeping it stock. I'm hoping to do some dirt, mud and sand but nothing extreme. I'm sure the Jeep in its stock form is much more capable than I am and will be for a very long time if not forever.

I'm glad you're still around and sharing your experience. I read your initial post and watched your YouTube video about it. Thank you for sharing all of this and opening up the conversation. Best wishes in the new year.
Sponsored

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
A good compromise between looks, performance (both on and off road), and safety might be to acquire a new Jeep Rubicon, equipped with its OEM stock 33 inch A/T tires, and leave it at its OEM stock height, with no lift kits, not even equipping it with the Mopar 2 inch lift kit. Sure, it does not look as cool and mean as your previous rig, but I would think it will be a whole lot safer, bro!

Glad you are OK, good luck, and Happy New Year!

will1111

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Couple weeks ago I was making a UTurn and forgot i had it on manual....jeep was on first when I turned and once it hit about 3.5k rpm i sort of lost control finishing my turn...my fault 100% as I should of remembered and account for the wet road let alone the pep on the accelation...nothing bad happened but now if I have it on M, I put it back on auto if I'm making u turns just so i dont forget....glad op is fine and let this just serve as a learning lesson like my experience did to me.

Flip888

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cbr1krr, DRZ4-sm, Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business owner.
I'm glad your safe and thanks for the great post!

Could anyone tell me what kind of tires were on the OPs Jeep? I can't tell by the picture.

lagunajim

I’m just your average everyday driver and just didn’t handle situation correctly as I should have when I first started to slide side to side before it eneded up perpendicular to road.
In the 14 milliseconds before a fatal move/mistake/incident very few people in the world react in a way that is logical to address the situation.

I, for one, just slam on the brake pedal so hard with my 250 pound body as to perhaps bend it -- that's what my "autonomic system" does in an unfolding accident. The same happens for most people imho so GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!

Driving in snow at slow speed I sometimes have time to make a logical corrective action to the begin of a slip, but otherwise when shit happens I doubt any of us can calculate a measured response in that moment.

Glad you're safe! HNY

Sponsored

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold the JLUS, New Ford Ranger 4X4 Lariat
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I will stick with the ATs on my JLUS, maybe just go up one size. I have no intentions of rock climbing with it just enjoy the ride and know I can push thru most highway puddles :) Good to hear you made it Poseidon! nice catch off the rocks. Been there done that in my younger years along the east coast, Breezy point was always a fun night.

WhatExit?

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2021 F350 6.7L
I put them on for clearance, but IMO, it does look pretty darn good too....but I'm biased.

Lifting isn't your only option for clearance.....cutting is a viable option in a lot of instances. My wife's JLUR actually has more wheel travel than my buddy's JK with a 3.5" Teraflex on 37s.

BBKqp6g.jpg

I still have plenty of work to do...just bought a SWAG 50" press brake to make the rear bumper and side armor and still have to build some low profile fenders and cut out the factory crossmembers to gain another 1.5" of belly clearance.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.....

Enjoy your Raptor. ;)

So you cut/trimmed your fenders on your wife's new JLUR? I'd like to know more - do you have a link to a post where you described and showed what you did?

I'd like to see what you're doing with your press brake and see what's left after you cut out the factory crossmembers to get 1.5" more clearance.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but for most the pain would be far worse than the gain but to each his own.

I don't enjoy my Raptor - I love it. It's an incredible truck that does everything I want it to but it's too wide for close quarters off roading so the search continues for a Jeep (used JKUR, new JLUR or JT - TBD).

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Just to add on here if it hasn’t been mentioned yet.
In the rubicon trim the rear end gets loose pretty easy when it’s wet outside. I’ve had mine break loose a few times usually when taking right turns from a stop with too much gas. once on an on-ramp it broke loose and pucker factor was high.

Be safe out there.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Meh, nothing new here. Just do whatever you want OP and own it.

Just remember:
*Every vehicle is a compromise. The more you deviate from the ordinary, the more marked the compromises become.
*Every mod has drawbacks to go with its advantages. Choose but be aware of the drawbacks.
*Just driving down the road is a risk. Sometimes bad things happen. Spin your safety cocoon as tight as you want, but realize that there are non-monetary costs to that choice too.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Of all the Wranglers I have driven, I find one with a leveling kit and wider wheels with a greater offset are the most stable. Not the most capable, but the most stable at highway speed.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
In the 14 milliseconds before a fatal move/mistake/incident very few people in the world react in a way that is logical to address the situation.

I, for one, just slam on the brake pedal so hard with my 250 pound body as to perhaps bend it -- that's what my "autonomic system" does in an unfolding accident. The same happens for most people imho so GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!

Driving in snow at slow speed I sometimes have time to make a logical corrective action to the begin of a slip, but otherwise when shit happens I doubt any of us can calculate a measured response in that moment.

Glad you're safe! HNY
Thanks buddy :)
Sponsored