Rolling my Jeep JL on highway makes me think....

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Growing up in Rural MN we had lots of roads like I described above. One of the biggest worries that parents had was the edge of the road. Had lots of friends roll cars...some in pretty nasty ways usually ending up in a ditch or wrapped around a tree. We were always taught that if you leave the road with one tire don't get back on until you slow way down...like 10-20mph. If you tried to at speed it would would either roll you instantly (cars) or get you fishtailing and then you'd roll or hit the ditch (usually trucks).

Advertisement

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2017 Raptor SCrew
We're running 37s on our JLUR with no lift. And we wheel it....it can be done. That said, Jeep engineers did a piss poor job of belly clearance on this vehicle...as they have always done on the CJ and the Wrangler series....so it may be necessary to lift it a little to get break over angle...depending on the types of trails you like to run. Another option is to reconfigure the crossmembers and gas tank to gain 1.5" or so of clearance at the belly...that's the option I plan to explore on ours to keep the CoG down.

Best of luck to you. I'm glad you are okay from the accident and may YHWH bless and keep you and yours as well. :)

So you stuffed 37's under your JLUR with no lift. I can't imagine you can do much wheeling since you've reduced the clearance inside the wheel wells and the wheel travel on your Jeep.

Did you put 37's on for looks?

To the OP: Sorry to hear you rolled your Jeep. Your original post is so hard to read that I gave up on it. I'm can guarantee you that no one here really understands the conditions of the road/situation when you rolled. Any vehicle can be rolled given the "right circumstances" and you found them with your JL

jafo_jl

First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
I've had my new Wrangler all of three days now. I had ordered it from the factory back in October. During the wait, I considered what I might do in terms of modifications. Maybe start off with a leveling kit and run the stock all terrains until I need new rubber than upgrade to a full suspension lift and larger tires. Maybe throw some 33s on without a lift. I came from a BMW 3-series, which rides so low to the ground that when I got into the stock Jeep for the first time, I was shocked by how high up I was. I understood the leveling kit to be done primarily for aesthetics but find that I have no problems with how it looks as is. I'll see what happens in time but, for now, I have no problem keeping it stock. I'm hoping to do some dirt, mud and sand but nothing extreme. I'm sure the Jeep in its stock form is much more capable than I am and will be for a very long time if not forever.

I'm glad you're still around and sharing your experience. I read your initial post and watched your YouTube video about it. Thank you for sharing all of this and opening up the conversation. Best wishes in the new year.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
So you stuffed 37's under your JLUR with no lift. I can't imagine you can do much wheeling since you've reduced the clearance inside the wheel wells and the wheel travel on your Jeep.

Did you put 37's on for looks?
I put them on for clearance, but IMO, it does look pretty darn good too....but I'm biased.

Lifting isn't your only option for clearance.....cutting is a viable option in a lot of instances. My wife's JLUR actually has more wheel travel than my buddy's JK with a 3.5" Teraflex on 37s.

BBKqp6g.jpg

I still have plenty of work to do...just bought a SWAG 50" press brake to make the rear bumper and side armor and still have to build some low profile fenders and cut out the factory crossmembers to gain another 1.5" of belly clearance.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.....

Enjoy your Raptor. ;)

Last edited:

MOPAR Boy

First Name
Moper
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 G63, 2019 S63
A good compromise between looks, performance (both on and off road), and safety might be to acquire a new Jeep Rubicon, equipped with its OEM stock 33 inch A/T tires, and leave it at its OEM stock height, with no lift kits, not even equipping it with the Mopar 2 inch lift kit. Sure, it does not look as cool and mean as your previous rig, but I would think it will be a whole lot safer, bro!

Glad you are OK, good luck, and Happy New Year!

will1111

First Name
Will
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Couple weeks ago I was making a UTurn and forgot i had it on manual....jeep was on first when I turned and once it hit about 3.5k rpm i sort of lost control finishing my turn...my fault 100% as I should of remembered and account for the wet road let alone the pep on the accelation...nothing bad happened but now if I have it on M, I put it back on auto if I'm making u turns just so i dont forget....glad op is fine and let this just serve as a learning lesson like my experience did to me.

Flip888

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cbr1krr, DRZ4-sm, Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business owner.
I'm glad your safe and thanks for the great post!

Could anyone tell me what kind of tires were on the OPs Jeep? I can't tell by the picture.

lagunajim

I’m just your average everyday driver and just didn’t handle situation correctly as I should have when I first started to slide side to side before it eneded up perpendicular to road.
In the 14 milliseconds before a fatal move/mistake/incident very few people in the world react in a way that is logical to address the situation.

I, for one, just slam on the brake pedal so hard with my 250 pound body as to perhaps bend it -- that's what my "autonomic system" does in an unfolding accident. The same happens for most people imho so GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!

Driving in snow at slow speed I sometimes have time to make a logical corrective action to the begin of a slip, but otherwise when shit happens I doubt any of us can calculate a measured response in that moment.

Glad you're safe! HNY

wrangster

First Name
Ray
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Occupation
Retired and happy!
Vehicle Showcase
I will stick with the ATs on my JLUS, maybe just go up one size. I have no intentions of rock climbing with it just enjoy the ride and know I can push thru most highway puddles :) Good to hear you made it Poseidon! nice catch off the rocks. Been there done that in my younger years along the east coast, Breezy point was always a fun night.

WhatExit?

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition | 2017 Raptor SCrew
I put them on for clearance, but IMO, it does look pretty darn good too....but I'm biased.

Lifting isn't your only option for clearance.....cutting is a viable option in a lot of instances. My wife's JLUR actually has more wheel travel than my buddy's JK with a 3.5" Teraflex on 37s.

BBKqp6g.jpg

I still have plenty of work to do...just bought a SWAG 50" press brake to make the rear bumper and side armor and still have to build some low profile fenders and cut out the factory crossmembers to gain another 1.5" of belly clearance.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.....

Enjoy your Raptor. ;)

So you cut/trimmed your fenders on your wife's new JLUR? I'd like to know more - do you have a link to a post where you described and showed what you did?

I'd like to see what you're doing with your press brake and see what's left after you cut out the factory crossmembers to get 1.5" more clearance.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but for most the pain would be far worse than the gain but to each his own.

I don't enjoy my Raptor - I love it. It's an incredible truck that does everything I want it to but it's too wide for close quarters off roading so the search continues for a Jeep (used JKUR, new JLUR or JT - TBD).

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
So you cut/trimmed your fenders on your wife's new JLUR? I'd like to know more - do you have a link to a post where you described and showed what you did?

I'd like to see what you're doing with your press brake and see what's left after you cut out the factory crossmembers to get 1.5" more clearance.

There is more than one way to skin a cat but for most the pain would be far worse than the gain but to each his own.

I don't enjoy my Raptor - I love it. It's an incredible truck that does everything I want it to but it's too wide for close quarters off roading so the search continues for a Jeep (used JKUR, new JLUR or JT - TBD).
It's just a different mindset. CoG is a big deal on the vehicles I've built. My current buggy is easily 3" taller than I want it to be.

This is the buggy I'm building a buddy now....he's on 42's in this pic, but 43's are planned.

6ngWWS4.jpg

21 or 23" belly (adjustable ride height), 113" WB, 70 or 72" overall height (on the 43's).

IME, lower is better...provided you're not getting hung up on the belly on everything. Overall weight to power ratio is a huge issue as well and probably the biggest problem with a full bodied rig anyway.

Yes, I cut and trimmed her sheetmetal after getting rid of the front fenders and cutting off the tabs completely. I also outboarded her wheels as far as I could with offset on the wheels and Spidertrax spacers (also keeps the body out of the rocks). I also cut 6.5" off the front frame rails, re-routed the A/C lines, ditched the front boat anchor of an electronic disconnect sway bar and ended up with a winch bumper set up that sticks out less than 6" from the front of the grill and gets the leading edge of the front tires even with the lower most point on the frame rails.

Not much of a picture taker/thread poster but here's a pic of the bumper:

e5HwtIZ.jpg

I'm planning to just unbolt that first crossmember and replace it with a 1.5x3x.188 wall rectangular tubing one that bolts inside the frame rails so it's snag free and flush with the bottom of the frame rails. The secondary one that the tranny/tcase mounts to is something I may leave....depending on whether or not it's worth remaking....as I can just build the belly skid to accommodate that particular one. The gas tank is the bigger issue....but that can go up 3/4" without much work, but I am looking at aftermarket tanks or building my own to get it flush.

The press brake probably won't come into play for the x-members....I'm planning to use it for the rear bumper and the rock rail idea I have bouncing around in my head. I'll be braking big sheets and then cutting out large portions to make something unique, high clearance and strong enough that she can slam down on them without damaging the tub.

The wife has already agreed that this thing is pretty limited for the type of wheeling we do so she's pushing to stop spending time/money on it and just launch into her buggy build instead (long story, she wanted me to build a TJ for her and we have most of the driveline already...but the JLUR made her realize the severe limitations of having a tub to worry about).

As for the pain...meh....to me, it's fun and it's exactly what I need, not what someone designed b/c they could make it bolt on and mass produce it.

Ya, I hear you on the Raptors. There was a club run of them out here a while back that caused some issues by blocking access. More of a Baja type toy or duner than trail rig.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Just to add on here if it hasn’t been mentioned yet.
In the rubicon trim the rear end gets loose pretty easy when it’s wet outside. I’ve had mine break loose a few times usually when taking right turns from a stop with too much gas. once on an on-ramp it broke loose and pucker factor was high.

Be safe out there.

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
Meh, nothing new here. Just do whatever you want OP and own it.

Just remember:
*Every vehicle is a compromise. The more you deviate from the ordinary, the more marked the compromises become.
*Every mod has drawbacks to go with its advantages. Choose but be aware of the drawbacks.
*Just driving down the road is a risk. Sometimes bad things happen. Spin your safety cocoon as tight as you want, but realize that there are non-monetary costs to that choice too.

Litfuse

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Of all the Wranglers I have driven, I find one with a leveling kit and wider wheels with a greater offset are the most stable. Not the most capable, but the most stable at highway speed.

OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
In the 14 milliseconds before a fatal move/mistake/incident very few people in the world react in a way that is logical to address the situation.

I, for one, just slam on the brake pedal so hard with my 250 pound body as to perhaps bend it -- that's what my "autonomic system" does in an unfolding accident. The same happens for most people imho so GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK!

Driving in snow at slow speed I sometimes have time to make a logical corrective action to the begin of a slip, but otherwise when shit happens I doubt any of us can calculate a measured response in that moment.

Glad you're safe! HNY
Thanks buddy :)

Advertisement

Extreme Terrain

Advertisement