Sponsored

Rockslide Rotopax mount (slight) anti-theft.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
If the rotopax are on and I'm in a parking lot, they have a bike lock, but in case anyone is worried about the whole dumb, heavy, ratchet strap assembly:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rockslide Rotopax mount (slight) anti-theft. 20210504_174531

Jeep Wrangler JL Rockslide Rotopax mount (slight) anti-theft. 20210504_174542

If you have the plastic bumper, (you probably do, if you're using this contraption) and you put the ratchet on in this position, it is impossible to operate and remove because the lever hits the bumper. It takes some finagling. Maybe four finagles.

Let's be clear, if someone really wanted your stuff, nothing prevents them from simply cutting the strap, or taking your entire spare. This just helps keep the honest honest.
Sponsored

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
If the rotopax are on and I'm in a parking lot, they have a bike lock, but in case anyone is worried about the whole dumb, heavy, ratchet strap assembly:

If you have the plastic bumper, (you probably do, if you're using this contraption) and you put the ratchet on in this position, it is impossible to operate and remove because the lever hits the bumper. It takes some finagling. Maybe four finagles.

Let's be clear, if someone really wanted your stuff, nothing prevents them from simply cutting the strap, or taking your entire spare. This just helps keep the honest honest.
Bike lock ? As in one of those cable locks for bikes that are 3 or 6 feet long? I had three of them to protect my electric mountain bike from being stolen from my JTs bike rack. Thief didn't know I have motion sensor HD video cams with night vision and I caught him and his accomplice on 15 minutes of video cutting thru THREE cable bike locks to steal my bike.

Moral of the story, even three locks won't stop a thief from stealing you junk.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I've installed several locking odds and ends on my vehicles through the years. I'm well aware, though, that they'll do little more than slow down the determined thief.

Honest people don't need to be "kept honest", either. It's the individuals of low character, easily tempted by crimes of opportunity, that we are guarding against.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Moral of the story, even three locks won't stop a thief from stealing you junk.
To be fair, an electric mountain bike is a pretty tempting prize, not junk. That really sucks, hope everything is better for you now.

I know locks don't stop a determined thief. I've seen enough of those Kryptonite bike chains broken on the ground. The bike courier ones, 10mm and more solid chain links, not cable. Even those ultra thick u-bolt style ones.

But there are way more opportunistic thieves than determined ones, which is why things like locking a softtop jeep, or using those thin luggage cables work 99% of the time.

OP
OP
LittleDog

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Honest people don't need to be "kept honest", either. It's the individuals of low character, easily tempted by crimes of opportunity, that we are guarding against.

Hmm, how about we say that most people's honesty in a situation is a variable based upon their character, the surroundings, and the opportunity?

I'd like to say I'm honest, but I also just kept the random dollar bills that my dogs ocassionally brought to me, instead of trying to figure out where they got them from.
Sponsored